Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjobox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Most of us believe that Apple will refresh the iPad lineup sometime this autumn, by bringing in a new 'Air 2' model.

Presumably though, they will retain one of the older 16gb models to sell at the 'slightly-less-unaffordable' price point, in keeping with previous years.

Do you folks think they'll choose to keep the iPad 4, or hang on to the 1st generation air? My inkling is that the 1st gen air will be discontinued..

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I would expect that they will sell a 16 GB, A7 iPad Air/Mini as the base models. It seems unlikely to me that they would have their base model being two full generations behind the rest, when one should be enough to justify selling it much cheaper.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
If I had to guess i'd say the A5 Mini will get discontinued. The iPad 4 will be sold for 1 more cycle unless iOS 8 multitasking brings it to it's knees.

Benjobox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
I would expect that they will sell a 16 GB, A7 iPad Air/Mini as the base models. It seems unlikely to me that they would have their base model being two full generations behind the rest, when one should be enough to justify selling it much cheaper.

That sounds fairly plausible. It's worth pointing out though that up until spring 2014, the 'base model' was the three generations-old iPad 2. So stranger things have happened..

----------

If I had to guess i'd say the A5 Mini will get discontinued. The iPad 4 will be sold for 1 more cycle unless iOS 8 multitasking brings it to it's knees.

But they're not going to have for sale 3 different generations of full size iPad are they? The point is surely they'll discontinue either the 4th gen or the 1st gen air

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That sounds fairly plausible. It's worth pointing out though that up until spring 2014, the 'base model' was the three generations-old iPad 2. So stranger things have happened..

----------

But they're not going to have for sale 3 different generations of full size iPad are they? The point is surely they'll discontinue either the 4th gen or the 1st gen air
I reckon the reason for keeping the iPad 2 was because the retina display cost too much. Quick guess, whichever model they keep will be the one that will cost them less to manufacture for higher profit. I'm leaning towards them keeping the Air. :p

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I wonder if the choice of which base model to sell is related to how many Apple made when they were new, vs how many were sold? Maybe Apple built so many iPad 2's that it took 3 years to sell them all?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I wonder if the choice of which base model to sell is related to how many Apple made when they were new, vs how many were sold? Maybe Apple built so many iPad 2's that it took 3 years to sell them all?
Nope. If that were the case, then it's a major fail in their manufacturing/supply chain.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A

iOS8 multitasking is going to bring the AIR to it's knees as well, with it's piddling amount of RAM.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I think the original iPad Mini is gone. At this point Apple would need to drop the price to $199 but they don't seem to be willing to sell an iPad at that price.

The other alternative I think is that if the Mini 3 is too similar to the retina Mini then they'll discontinue that one and keep the original iPad Mini around at its current price point.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Possible scenario:

$329: 16GB iPad mini 2nd gen
$399: 32GB iPad mini 3rd gen
$499: 64GB
$599: 128GB

$399: 16GB iPad Air 1st gen
$499: 32GB iPad Air 2nd gen
$599: 64GB
$699: 128GB

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I think they need to blow up the naming conventions and start all over for iPad. I have no clue what's what anymore.

Agreed. Their product line ups across the board have become overly complicated, especially due to the naming. They need to really revisit and rename a lot of products.

The current iPad line up has iPad Air, iPad with Retina Display (implying this is the only iPad with this feature), iPad Mini, iPad Mini with Retina Display.

The same with the iPhone, soon we'll have the iPhone 4S, 5S, 5C, and potentially 2 different sized 6's.

They need to drop the numbers, and the "with Retina Display" off the models and simplify their line ups IMO.

iPhone
iPhone C
iPad
iPad Mini

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I'm guessing that it'll be the iPad mini 2 and 3 and iPad Air and Air 2 that are sold. They'll drop the 1st gen mini and iPad 4th gen. Then all iPads would either be A7 or A8. This would bring them back to a logical progression that hasn't been around the last year or so. Still bitter about them dropping the iPhone 5 on favor of the 5c...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.