Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
Good to know you had some success with your dual setup, I just don't have the desk space for now to get two side by side.

I am very happy with my U2414H, it is like day and night when compared to my 10 year old Dell 2407FWP.

robE89

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
The only problem now is that after reboot, the monitor connected via displayport sometimes would not show up, I have to turn it off and on to get it recognized by OS X at all. Not sure if it was caused or have anything to do with the EDID override, but I never shutdown my Mini anyway.

Unfortunately, it's a known problem....there are many topics about this on dell forum but they don't really care. It's a shame because U2414 is really a nice monitor, too bad it's plagued with bugs.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Unfortunately, it's a known problem....there are many topics about this on dell forum but they don't really care. It's a shame because U2414 is really a nice monitor, too bad it's plagued with bugs.
Oh well, but not a total bummer anyway especially compared to the EDID issue. I was doing enough researches before shelling out for the U2414H, even knowing its problems, exactly because it packs a lot of modern features, and has a solid panel quality, at a very reasonable price. The bezel is also the thinnest for any dual monitor setup that I have ever had.

By the way there is another issue that I remember now: the USB hub loses power every time the monitor is turned off (the touch power button in bottom right, not unplug main power). As a result, 5 or 6 pop-up warnings would show up in OS X which is quite annoying if you are in the middle of using the other working screen. I don't know if there is any solution to this, but for now I am just not going to use these USB ports for critical I/Os like external hard drives, even though the ports are 3.0 speed capable... which is a waste.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I've connected my dell u2713H through the display Port (mini dP on mac mini) and I'm not complaining about the view. Perhaps I'm color blind but it looks great. Also went to system preferences the dell u2713h was indicated. Beneath it there were four rgb choices. On clicking them the view changed. i don't really know why one would need to run the script.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Both Mac mini and new Mac Pro are now working perfectly over the min-DP to DP Dell cable that came with the monitor!

I didn't do anything except pull out all cables from all devices and start with the power cord and DP cable only connected to both the nMP and the monitor as a final check before taking both down to the genius bar and letting them take a look at the problem. Hey presto, perfect display. Tried the same with the mini and same result. Interesting I thought...

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I've connected my dell u2713H through the display Port (mini dP on mac mini) and I'm not complaining about the view. Perhaps I'm color blind but it looks great. Also went to system preferences the dell u2713h was indicated. Beneath it there were four rgb choices. On clicking them the view changed. i don't really know why one would need to run the script.

As far as I know, the only thing in System Preferences' displays options that relate to RGB are ICC colour profiles, which has nothing to do with the problem we are encountering here. And I must say if your U2713H already looks as you expected out of the box, you are the lucky bunch here and good for you. :)

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
As far as I know, the only thing in System Preferences' displays options that relate to RGB are ICC colour profiles, which has nothing to do with the problem we are encountering here. And I must say if your U2713H already looks as you expected out of the box, you are the lucky bunch here and good for you. :)
In system info I get this:
DELL U2713H:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440 @ 59 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: DisplayPort
Television: Yes

Must I run the hack or where can I see if it's running YcbCr instead of rgb

AttilaBorbo

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2013
Read this thread after ordering an U2414H and was getting scared I had to send it back cause of the RGB and DisplayPort issues. Thankfully it works ok with it connected to a 2011 iMac using a DisplayPort to mini-DisplayPort cable.

The system does recognize it as a TV and the signal output is YCbCr rather than RGB. Had to run the ruby script to force output to RGB. Otherwise everything is fine.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Read this thread after ordering an U2414H and was getting scared I had to send it back cause of the RGB and DisplayPort issues. Thankfully it works ok with it connected to a 2011 iMac using a DisplayPort to mini-DisplayPort cable.

The system does recognize it as a TV and the signal output is YCbCr rather than RGB. Had to run the ruby script to force output to RGB. Otherwise everything is fine.

Thanks, I did run the script and all is perfect !

pitkis3

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
Hi all,

I have Mac Mini late 2012 and Dell U2414H connected via DP. It works ok, but the picture quality is a little bit blurry. How do I know whether or not I'm having my Dell in RGB mode.

Thanks a lot!

pitkis3

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
Hi all,

I have Mac Mini late 2012 and Dell U2414H connected via DP. It works ok, but the picture quality is a little bit blurry. How do I know whether or not I'm having my Dell in RGB mode.

Thanks a lot!

Okay, I found the information and display was set to TV. I managed to run the script (after I found youtube-video) and mode is now display port. I didn't notice any significant difference. Maybe a bit sharper text. What kind of settings people use in U2414H? How to calibrate my monitor in order to get best possible picture quality to my environment.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
brand wrote above:
[[ Buy a monitor calibration tool. ]]

Could you suggest one, that won't break the bank?

carmona

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2014
Spyder calibration tools offer best value for money.

If color of print-outs (online or on your printer) are important for you, start with the Spyder4Pro, it has got an ambient light sensor and will adjust the contrast to your ambient light.

Prints have lower contrasts, so this is an important point. ;)

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Dell seem to often have trouble with DisplayPort. I used a U2711 with a Mac Mini and MBP over DP for a while, but it was problematic with resuming from sleep sometimes and needed power cycling. The U2711 serves me well with my PC now, flawlessly in fact, but over DVI-D. Almost bought a U3014 at the tail end of last year for mac use, but didn't after reading it too had occasional problems with sleep and power cycling.

Zen-X

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2014
Hello everyone,

this is my first post and sorry for my English.

I bought the Dell U2414H and hooked it up with my MacBook Pro Mid 2009. It has the Nvidia GeForce 9400M inside. In near future the display will be connected with a 2012 Mac mini with the Intel HD4000 inside.

My question is: how do I recognize that my setup suffers under the problem that is discussed here? By now, I can give you following details.

On the monitor side:
  • I own the revision A00
  • I use the original Display Port to Mini Display Port cable
  • When I first connected the monitor with my MacBook Pro the Display Port Mode 1.2 was automatically disabled
  • The Dell OSD menu tells me that the monitor is running with RGB input format, Mac Gamma and sRGB mode
  • For my eyes, everything looks fine

On the MacBook side:
  • I runs OS X 10.8.5
  • "About this Mac > Monitor" tells me that I'm using "Monitor: Dell U2414H"
  • "About this Mac > System > Grafik/Monitor" tells me "TV: Yes"
  • "System Preferences > Monitor > Colours > Open Profile" tells me "Colour Room: RGB"

I added some screenshots of all this stuff. It would be great if somebody could help me out with this so I can settle down and don't have to worry anymore about a wrong display setup.

Thank you very very much in advance,
Martin

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2014-06-11 um 21.15.54.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2014-06-11 um 21.15.54.png
    109.4 KB · Views: 592
  • Bildschirmfoto 2014-06-11 um 21.15.56.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2014-06-11 um 21.15.56.png
    93 KB · Views: 470
  • Bildschirmfoto 2014-06-11 um 21.16.02.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2014-06-11 um 21.16.02.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 479

macaron95

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
hi

any update regarding the Dell U2414H connected to the 2012 Mac Mini with HD4000 ?

i'm thinking about going for this configuration too

thanks

NMAverick

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2015
Hi,

I am sure your problem must have been sorted out by now, but for all current and future buyers for the dell U2414H and having an apple computing device, mac, macbook, pro etc, the monitor works perfectly out of the box when I connected with a mini DP(thunderbolt port) to HDMI output (U2414H), it just ran out of the box, without any issues, it even worked simply for my bootcamp windows. So no need to fret before purchasing one, simply go ahead and get it, it's the Monitor with most appealing edge giving you only a screen to view at, I was also considering between the U2412M and the U2414H, I think I've made a great choice. :)

Cheers,
N

Hello, guys
this is my first post here and please forgive me if I post something in wrong way.

I ordered:
Apple Mac Mini
2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
4GB memory
500GB hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
OS X Mavericks

and Dell U2414H http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=860-BBCG

Today I searched on internet about Mac Mini + Dell U2414H and it looks like there is a problem when connecting them over DP. Here is the original posting:

and this is the original link: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19542085.aspx

An answer from dell's forum moderator says:
Should I be worried when Mac Mini has Intel HD 4000 video card?

This is from another forum: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1975248/displayport-dell-u2414h-monitors-work.html

Does someone has these two items and has the same issues?

Do you think everything will work fine or I should cancel the order and choose another monitor?

Cyrilmtl

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
Dell seem to often have trouble with DisplayPort. I used a U2711 with a Mac Mini and MBP over DP for a while, but it was problematic with resuming from sleep sometimes and needed power cycling. The U2711 serves me well with my PC now, flawlessly in fact, but over DVI-D. Almost bought a U3014 at the tail end of last year for mac use, but didn't after reading it too had occasional problems with sleep and power cycling.

I have the U2711 and those problem with sleep start to bother me a lot,
Like you am am/was looking for a U3014, now i don;'t know what good monitor I can get that will work with my mac mini, but also with my various
other linux/windows server (DVI-D).

What monitor are you using now ?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I have the U2711 and those problem with sleep start to bother me a lot,
Like you am am/was looking for a U3014, now i don;'t know what good monitor I can get that will work with my mac mini, but also with my various
other linux/windows server (DVI-D).

What monitor are you using now ?

Wow, this is a blast from the past! I bought a Thunderbolt Display in the end, for reasons described in detail in this thread;

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1732504/

Was a LOT of money for old tech then (purchased Oct 2013), but I was and still am highly satisfied with the purchase. I was a bit crazy paying that much for it then, 2015 is here and it boggles my mind that it's STILL the same price lol. It's a shame, because take price out of the equation and it's still an absolutely stupendous monitor for macs that aren't capable of 4K, assuming you don't mind glossy. I don't do colour sensitive work so glossy has never bothered me. Although it's only 1440p, it still compares favourably with the display on my rMBP. When I bought that I did worry that the old TBD would suddenly look awful, like going from a iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 4, but that extra distance sat from the TBD negates this. I just make a point of avoiding looking at the 5k iMacs :). A 5k iMac will probably be my next desktop, but I'm gonna rinse a few more years from this setup.

Since that old post I've sold the Dell and bought a ASUS Rog Swift Gsync monitor for my PC. 2012 Mac Mini still going strong, replaced the Fusion drive with a 1tb SSD and it flies.

Last edited:

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Lucky you.

Mine was U2711, different model, problem definitely on the hardware side. Many others experienced the same, evidenced by lots of discussion on Dell forums and lengthy thread on HardOCP thread. No fix.

Anyone, sold it years ago like I've said.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Lucky you.

Mine was U2711, different model, problem definitely on the hardware side. Many others experienced the same, evidenced by lots of discussion on Dell forums and lengthy thread on HardOCP thread. No fix.

Anyone, sold it years ago like I've said.
I had the u2711 myself. It worked like a charm on my pc. Then I hooked it up to my mac mini. Worked fine too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.