Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Regarding the Chrome user interface, it's a browser window with a place for tabs and a url bar and a forward/back button. Also, user interfaces are like brands, You open Google Chrome and it looks like Google Chrome on Windows as it does Mac and Linux. They've gone out of the way to make sure people can use their product across a spectrum of devices and computers. I would say Firefox is the weirdest, it took some elements of OS X and added them with their own UI in a hosh posh mess. Their "custom app system preferences" are identical to it on Windows, and Chrome's download window is hands down far better than Safari's download manager.

The problem is that OS X has a crap load of standard APIs to do all that stuff and Windows doesn't, thus everything on Windows has to be programmed from scratch or using 3rd-party libraries.

We don't want the same apps to be standard across different platforms, we want different apps to be standard across a single platform. Or else, why the need of having different platforms ? That whole OS X vs Windows vs Linux debate wouldn't make sense anymore.

As a Developer, I can tell you that designing standard things in OS X such as Print Menus, Preference Panes, Buttons, PDF Reader, etc. are way easier to work with both for the developer and for the user, let alone the possibility of having bugs and security issues when working with 3rd-party APIs.

I maintain that Chrome on OS X is complete trash.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Wrong, really. It's made the fonts look much worse - there's a consensus on that. Underlined text looks awful, everything else is blurry. I had to disable it.

That's very subjective. For myself and others, it made fonts MUCH better. Perhaps you're just not used to it.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This should Apple's motto... it would fit perfectly! every year Apple announces and releases basic stuff that is "nice" to have, purely because Apple fans haven't had it the last 10 years while every other platform has... heck even dual screen in OSX is still totally iffy (yes also wonky in 10.10) compared to windows and linux.

Anyway, 64bit chrome is good, late or not.

Gee, some of y'all will find a way to insert your Apple hating tirades into anything.

Don't know how to break it to you but Chrome for Windows lacked 64bit support as well, up till recently. So, what does Apple have to do with any of this?

macgeek88

Suspended
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
I'd use Safari but I could never get AdBlock for YouTube to work right no matter the extension I used...other ads were blocked but YouTube was always a problem. Right now I'm using Firefox 32 with ABP.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
For a while I was using Chrome as my default browser and things were good. I was a Gmail user as well and used the web interface, in Chrome, to do email.

Over time, with Google's silent and frequent browser updates, little things started bugging me. The heavy RAM usage, scrolling in HTML emails in Gmail, via Chrome stopped working and other little things kept adding up. I finally went back Safari late last year and dumped my Gmail account and resurrected my .mac account and have been happy running that way.

I just wonder if a 64-bit Chrome will allow it to hog even more RAM then before.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
For a while I was using Chrome as my default browser and things were good. I was a Gmail user as well and used the web interface, in Chrome, to do email.

Over time, with Google's silent and frequent browser updates, little things started bugging me. The heavy RAM usage, scrolling in HTML emails in Gmail, via Chrome stopped working and other little things kept adding up. I finally went back Safari late last year and dumped my Gmail account and resurrected my .mac account and have been happy running that way.

I just wonder if a 64-bit Chrome will allow it to hog even more RAM then before.

I hope the ram issue is no longer a issue as it says in the title thread, but we shall see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.