Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:37 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Sony Unveils New Calling-Capable SmartBand Talk, Android Wear SmartWatch 3 and Lens-style cameras

Not content to allow Samsung to steal the spotlight, Sony today also kicked off the IFA 2014 conference with its own press event that unveiled new wearable devices, new smartphone photography accessories, and several new mobile devices. Sony's newest hardware is slated to arrive in the coming months with price points that are yet to be determined.

Perhaps most relevant to Apple fans given Apple's impending wearable device announcement is Sony's pair of announcements in that area, starting with the new SmartBand Talk that embeds a low-power, 1.4-inch e-ink display into a fitness tracker. The band also includes a microphone and speaker for phone calls, as well as Bluetooth 4.0 for syncing to a smartphone. Rounding out the feature set is IP68 waterproofing, accelerometer and altimeter sensors, and integration with Sony's Lifelog lifestyle-tracking app.

In the more full-featured watch segment, Sony also introduced its new SmartWatch 3, the successor to the SmartWatch 2 and the first Android Wear smartwatch from the Japanese company. The smartphone companion syncs notifications from a compatible Android device and offers 4 GB of on-the-go music storage. Sony's SmartWatch 3 enters a growing Android Wear marketplace, competing directly with similar smartwatch offerings from Motorola and LG.

Sony also added to its lens-style camera line with the new 30x zoom DSC-QX30 and the E-mount interchangeable lens ILCE-QX1, These lens-style cameras improve mobile photography by combining an image sensor with a compact lens that fits onto an iOS or Android smartphone and communicates with the mobile phone via Wi-Fi. The DSC-QX30 is a 30x optical zoom lens with Sony's Optical SteadyShot image stabilization, while the QX1 allows photographers to use their existing Sony Alpha E-mount lenses on their mobile phone.

Besides its wearables and smartphone photography products, Sony also expanded its Xperia Z-series smartphone and tablet lineup with the new extended-battery life Xperia Z3 smartphone, the Xperia Z3 Compact smartphone, and the Xperia Tablet Z3 Compact. These new Xperia devices are notable as they support PS4 Remote Play, allowing users to pair their mobile device with a DualShock controller and play PS4 games on the phone or tablet.

Article Link: Sony Unveils New Calling-Capable SmartBand Talk, Android Wear SmartWatch 3 and Lens-style cameras
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:39 AM   #2
saintforlife
macrumors 6502a

AndroidRumors FTW!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:40 AM   #3
BMcCoy
macrumors 6502

Wow.

Whether you like Apple or not, they have really inspired the other tech companies to get their act together and release new interesting products.
BMcCoy is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Crosscreek
macrumors 65816

Sony is showing life.
Crosscreek is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:41 AM   #5
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68020

With every hardware vendor making their own Android, I can't help but to think MSFT ends up on the losing end of the stick...Android/Google is the new MSFT....abeit with less market share.
AdonisSMU is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:42 AM   #6
Locoboof
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Locoboof
Some of these look a lot better than I thought they would.
Locoboof is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:43 AM   #7
ianKent
macrumors newbie

If they really want to compete with Apple, they should sell a bundle for $199:
- 1 Phablet
- 1 Smart Watch
- 1 Tablet
- 1 4K TV Set
- 1 Fridge
- 3 T-Shirts
- 1 Microwave
- 4 white Sony Stickers
ianKent is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:43 AM   #8
taptic
macrumors 65816

Who is going to buy a lens extension for a phone instead of just a camera?

EDIT: apparently I didn't understand... It IS a camera... But again... I don't see anyone buying it...

Last edited by taptic; Sep 3, 2014 at 01:07 PM.
taptic is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:43 AM   #9
jclo
Editor

Sony's QX1 lens mount is pretty cool, especially if you've already bought into the Sony ecosystem. Love what Sony's been doing with mobile camera options.
jclo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:43 AM   #10
saving107
macrumors 603

Thumb resize.

"When are you coming home?" because this is what i want to be seeing on my wrist.

If this image is supposed to convince me I need a SmartWatch it is failing to do so.
saving107 is offline   48 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:44 AM   #11
mashkina
macrumors member

Sony, Samsumg, MS, they are all shaking. Showing their roadmap right before Apple's keynote.
I definitely understand Apple's secrecy
mashkina is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:45 AM   #12
MacMikePro
macrumors newbie

It almost makes you feel bad for Sony, because these are actually cool products, but you know no one is going to buy them
iPod Shuffle 4GB and TV 3rd Gen
MacMikePro is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:45 AM   #13
iPhisch
macrumors regular

Man, I just don't get that camera thing. Why in the hell would I want to slap my 18-200mm zoom E-Mount onto my cell phone when I can leave it attached to my NEX-5n? If you've already invested in the "ecosystem," you already have a nice camera. And the adapter, plus lens, plus camera mount looks thicker than the camera setup I've already invested in! The first two camera mounts from last year were interesting, but this one is dumb.
iPhisch is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:45 AM   #14
iolinux333
macrumors 65816

Incredible how what a company (Apple) might do can inspire others to actually do... And then Apple picks the best of what others did and does it. That is one weird feeding chain right there!
iolinux333 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:45 AM   #15
DonJudgeMe
macrumors regular

Love the camera. Don't care what any of you say.
DonJudgeMe is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:46 AM   #16
nikko1423
macrumors newbie

All these "responses" to apple (or consumer demand, i admit), and not a single smartwatch out of them...yet
nikko1423 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:46 AM   #17
mashkina
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saving107 View Post
Thumb resize.

"When are you coming home?" because this is what i want to be seeing on my wrist.

If this image is supposed to convince me I need a SmartWatch it is failing to do so.
How do you answer to that notification, with an upper hand movement (yes) or sidewards (no)?!?! Pretty unclear
mashkina is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:46 AM   #18
captain cadet
macrumors regular

Now everyone is fighting for the spotlight up till the 9 of September and I will bet you nobody will announce anything on the 9 of September as Apple will get all the press!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:47 AM   #19
chameleon81
macrumors 6502

2 days battery life

They claim 2 days battery for the Z3. I had Z1 and I really 1 day + couple of hours for sure.
chameleon81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:47 AM   #20
tigres
macrumors 68040

that band looks good, the watch not so.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:47 AM   #21
Brucewaynnee
macrumors newbie

That watch looks heavy. I wonder what Apple is cooking up with their iWatch. 6 more days!
Brucewaynnee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:48 AM   #22
Drumjim85
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShap5 View Post
Who is going to buy a lens extension for a phone instead of just a camera?
It's much more than that. It IS a camera, that just uses your phone for a view finder and storage. It's not for everyone, but it has some really cool features that normal cameras lack.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:49 AM   #23
iolinux333
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMikePro View Post
It almost makes you feel bad for Sony, because these are actually cool products, but you know no one is going to buy them
Maybe because Sony back when they were king of the mountain started behaving like a bunch of arrogant penistampons finally turned everyone off so bad they just about went under. They were kind of behaving like Apple is now, but like twice as bad.
iolinux333 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:50 AM   #24
DonJudgeMe
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhisch View Post
Man, I just don't get that camera thing. Why in the hell would I want to slap my 18-200mm zoom E-Mount onto my cell phone when I can leave it attached to my NEX-5n? If you've already invested in the "ecosystem," you already have a nice camera. And the adapter, plus lens, plus camera mount looks thicker than the camera setup I've already invested in! The first two camera mounts from last year were interesting, but this one is dumb.
And if you haven't already invested in all that(or even if you have), this gives you another option. Also, what if the camera breaks and you need something now? More adaptability, and you complain? This is freakin sweet!
DonJudgeMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:51 AM   #25
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Sony seems to have finally got their act together. Nice products.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion