Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:51 AM   #26
prehnra
macrumors member

Watch everyone trying to get in before the "iWatch."

Note to Motorola, Samsung, and now Sony: people are excited that Apple might be making a smart watch not because it will be a smart watch, but because it might actually be a good smart watch.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:52 AM   #27
BigHonkingDeal
macrumors 6502

It's probably back to the drawing board for most of these folks once Apple introduces theirs.....
BigHonkingDeal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:52 AM   #28
recklesslife85
macrumors 6502

Keep the posting the Android stuff, this is my main site for Apple news so good to see what Apple fans think of the competitions.

AndroidRumours site in the making?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:52 AM   #29
iolinux333
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianKent View Post
If they really want to compete with Apple, they should sell a bundle for $199:
- 1 Phablet
- 1 Smart Watch
- 1 Tablet
- 1 4K TV Set
- 1 Fridge
- 3 T-Shirts
- 1 Microwave
- 4 white Sony Stickers
You can already get that on Chinese knock off section of amazon plus cases and screen protectors for all but minus the sony stickers.
iolinux333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:53 AM   #30
elev8d
macrumors regular

Dualshock!

To me, the best thing here is support for the PS4 Remote Play with Dualshock controller. I mean really, that's awesome. It's the best controller on the market IMO (battery life issues withstanding), plus that means you can continue PS4 games when you are on the go, and get back to playing them on your TV with the PS4 when you get back home since it supports Remote Play. That's the continuity I wish the iPad had

Also the products look nice, too bad I'm not into the android ecosystem.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:53 AM   #31
mceolsen
macrumors member

Quick - before Sept 9th!

I see everyone is getting their products out before Sept 9th? Let Apple see everyone's products first so they can adjust the Keynote as needed? Nice...ummm...strategy?
mceolsen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:54 AM   #32
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

That fitness band is perfect. It's simple, easy to read, nice.

My oh my, what is Apple going to show the world next week?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:55 AM   #33
iolinux333
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashkina View Post
How do you answer to that notification, with an upper hand movement (yes) or sidewards (no)?!?! Pretty unclear
You say "OK GOOGLE" and then tell it what to do. Really.
iolinux333 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:55 AM   #34
MyDataMyProbs
macrumors regular

those lenses are pretty cool. though i dont want to have to worry about forgetting them or stuggling to add them to my phone for the quick pic opportunity. i could see others using them!

so far both companies have awesome products, they will remain in the "awesome" category until 9/9..
MyDataMyProbs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:56 AM   #35
nagromme
macrumors G4

There are a zillion companies (some with numerous self-cannibalizing products) all competing for little slices of the minuscule "smartwatch" market, all hoping it will work out once Apple makes the market big(ger). But that market will never touch the huge scale of the phone market, and even IF what Apple has turns out to be a "smartwatch" at all, it won't be a rising tide lifting all the other rushed-out-the-door boats. It will be something they have to start over and imitate anyway. I don't get it. Seems like a money pit.
nagromme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:57 AM   #36
bushido
macrumors 601

i wouldnt wear one either way but i am curious to see what apple has in store for use. remember how people thought a smartphone should look like before the introduction of the first iPhone? i kinda hope history repeats itself with the copycats suddenly adapting to the "idea" a few months later
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:57 AM   #37
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

Nice to see Sony on the way up again. I've bought lots of Sony kit over the years and it's always good quality and reliable. That band is one of the few smart watches I've seen that I would actually consider wearing. I hope Apple's iWatch is a real gem.
Shaun, UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:58 AM   #38
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumjim85 View Post
It's much more than that. It IS a camera, that just uses your phone for a view finder and storage. It's not for everyone, but it has some really cool features that normal cameras lack.
What are those features? Because the 2 you mentioned are features that "normal" cameras also have, now.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:00 PM   #39
Rog210
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mceolsen View Post
I see everyone is getting their products out before Sept 9th? Let Apple see everyone's products first so they can adjust the Keynote as needed? Nice...ummm...strategy?
It's either that or wait until after the keynote and have your products lost in the noise.

It seems the third option - doing what Apple does and working on products until they're ready and them releasing them, irrespective of what the competition is up to - seems to be beyond the grasp of Sony and Samsung.
Rog210 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:00 PM   #40
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
There are a zillion companies (some with numerous self-cannibalizing products) all competing for little slices of the minuscule "smartwatch" market, all hoping it will work out once Apple makes the market big(ger). But that market will never touch the huge scale of the phone market, and even IF what Apple has turns out to be a "smartwatch" at all, it won't be a rising tide lifting all the other rushed-out-the-door boats. It will be something they have to start over and imitate anyway. I don't get it. Seems like a money pit.
I seem to remember lots of people saying that the smart phone would never take off when Apple launched the original iPhone.

The smart watch will only take off if it adds something new to the mix. Eventually I can see a scenario were smart watches with phone functionality will start taking a slice of the smart phone market.
Shaun, UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:01 PM   #41
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShap5 View Post
Who is going to buy a lens extension for a phone instead of just a camera?
It happens. There are lots of them for iDevices. I see them in use at a lot of places. The big advantage is having a FAT view screen (the iDevice) to be sure you are getting the shot you want instead of trying to make similar judgements on tiny LCD screens attached to cameras. There's also a fairly robust tripod market for iDevices too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saving107 View Post
"When are you coming home?" because this is what i want to be seeing on my wrist. If this image is supposed to convince me I need a SmartWatch it is failing to do so.
Yes, again, watches are jewelry. It will be hard for any single design to delight us all. We're used to extraordinary diversity of watch designs. I'm sure an iWatch will look very sharp… but it will also be just one design. One of the big draws of jewelry is the sense of "special", meaning that people don't want to wear the exact same thing as everyone else. Look at any of the established watchmakers websites and you'll see dozens to hundreds of variations of design; there's no "one design to rule them all" even from someone as premium as Rolex. IMO, this is going to be a hard sell for Apple if an iWatch is really trying to replace watches.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:02 PM   #42
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mceolsen View Post
They are using the the IFA 2014 conference as a springboard to announce their new product lineups which I'm sure was scheduled a long time before Apple confirmed their keynote on September 9th.

I'm sure they all suspected Apple would be releasing new products sometime in September but there's no way they would have know the exact date when they booked their places at IFA 2014.
OllyW is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:02 PM   #43
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Thumb resize.

This watch would be cool if it had a downward-facing camera on the band which fed into the background of the screen. Every time you looked at it, it'd look as if part of your arm is missing and your hand is just floating there.

I'm so easily amused..
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:03 PM   #44
elev8d
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHonkingDeal View Post
It's probably back to the drawing board for most of these folks once Apple introduces theirs.....
My biggest question is how they plan to have people interact with the device. I'm wondering if they might take a step in a different direction and go more mechanical like the old days, or if they will try to rely on siri for everything like Google is doing with their wearables. If they go the Siri way, then the Android solution isn't very far off.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:04 PM   #45
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShap5 View Post
Who is going to buy a lens extension for a phone instead of just a camera?
umm.. I would. I much prefer to be able to use the device that I always have with me, which is always connected to the internet, which has a bunch of amazing photo editing/processing apps. Just buying a lens would likely be cheaper and smaller than a comparable quality full camera. Then I can just grab the lens when I need it and leave it when I don't. Plus it keeps all my photos managed in one location rather than divided between my phone and a camera
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:05 PM   #46
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
They are using the the IFA 2014 conference as a springboard to announce their new product lineups which I'm sure was scheduled a long time before Apple confirmed their keynote on September 9th.

I'm sure they all suspected Apple would be releasing new products sometime in September but there's no way they would have know the exact date when they booked their places at IFA 2014.
Exactly. Every company looks at current popularity and upcoming trends and plans many months in advance. Even Apple looks at their competitors and does a SWAT analysis to aid in their planning. It's not simply "Apple has an upcoming event, therefore everyone else must be (pre) copying them".
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:05 PM   #47
Mildredop
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcCoy View Post
Wow.

Whether you like Apple or not, they have really inspired the other tech companies to get their act together and release new interesting products.
How exactly have they 'inspired' other tech companies? They've not released a single thing yet.
Mildredop is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:05 PM   #48
jdawgnoonan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
With every hardware vendor making their own Android, I can't help but to think MSFT ends up on the losing end of the stick...Android/Google is the new MSFT....abeit with less market share.
Actually Android has very similar market share to Windows.
jdawgnoonan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:07 PM   #49
iansilv
macrumors 6502a

Me too! Me too! Me too!
iansilv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:09 PM   #50
elev8d
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post
I seem to remember lots of people saying that the smart phone would never take off when Apple launched the original iPhone.

The smart watch will only take off if it adds something new to the mix. Eventually I can see a scenario were smart watches with phone functionality will start taking a slice of the smart phone market.
I thought the smart phone was already taking off before the iPhone. I remember drooling over my buddies touch screen Windows phones wishing I could afford one but they were always priced $800 to $900. Finally the iPhone came out and I had to have it even if it was $600, but at that time they hadn't "taken off" yet.

It was only when they started using contract pricing to discount them did suddenly everyone start getting them and then I was crabby at everyone that suddenly had the same phone I had for $400 less than me lol.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion