Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
smartwatch_3_press.jpg

"When are you coming home?" because this is what i want to be seeing on my wrist.

If this image is supposed to convince me I need a SmartWatch it is failing to do so.

Instead of using a woman's wrist they should have had "The Rock" (or some other very large person) wearing it so it looks smaller than it actually is.

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
umm.. I would. I much prefer to be able to use the device that I always have with me, which is always connected to the internet, which has a bunch of amazing photo editing/processing apps. Just buying a lens would likely be cheaper and smaller than a comparable quality full camera. Then I can just grab the lens when I need it and leave it when I don't. Plus it keeps all my photos managed in one location rather than divided between my phone and a camera

You've never looked up the price of an E-Mount lens, have you? the 18-200mm is $800 bucks. 50mm f/1.8 is $300. The 24mm f/1.8 Zeiss is a grand.

The internet connectivity is sweet, but this is much more bulky and complicated than just having a normal camera attached to the lens, with one less battery to charge.

So will that e-ink band thing work with an iPhone?

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I see everyone is getting their products out before Sept 9th? Let Apple see everyone's products first so they can adjust the Keynote as needed? Nice...ummm...strategy?

Conspiracy theorizing aside, I scarcely think these companies can reschedule IFA to a different date, do you??
Or perhaps you think they should just not announce any of their wearable products there, lest Apple hear about them??
Lol, I think their strategy is to use their trade show to show off as much of their new tech as possible... no ulterior motives and/or deep strategizing going on here, imo.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I really hope Apple's wearable is something special. All the junk coming from Samsung and Sony has me convinced this is a silly fad that will NEVER catch on.

:apple:

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I tried the Samsung smart watch and wasn't impressed with its features, and I don't think anyone can do much better other than making the interface good (since Samsung's interface sucked). Off-topic: That AAPL stock tho.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
whyyy......

I want an end to junk news filling me in on the latest in landfill destined gadgets.

I just love you all so much!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So what exactly is the difference between the Moto, LG, Samsung, Sony and Asus smart watches? Just design?

Heltik

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
USA
Incredible how what a company (Apple) might do can inspire others to actually do... And then Apple picks the best of what others did and does it. That is one weird feeding chain right there!

Thing is Apple has never really been an innovator, but they bring the products to market when they're ready... Samsung often rushes products to market before they are ready - so it can claim innovation (usually based on products Apple has been rumoured to be perfecting for years).

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
Tim Cook must be smiling...
These ugly products (watches) by others will be pictured in Apple's keynote next week on how NOT to make a smart watch...
just like Steve did with the iPhone :D

DonJudgeMe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Arizona
Conspiracy theorizing aside, I scarcely think these companies can reschedule IFA to a different date, do you??
Or perhaps you think they should just not announce any of their wearable products there, lest Apple hear about them??
Lol, I think their strategy is to use their trade show to show off as much of their new tech as possible... no ulterior motives and/or deep strategizing going on here, imo.

It's not conspiracy. It's called competitive marketing. Notice how everyone is announcing new products at the same time? It's not a coincidence that this is happening. They're trying to get in everyones pockets first.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I just talked bad about you MacRumors but thank you for realizing that Samsung is not the only player in town. Either you report just Apple news or all competitor news. Stop focusing on only Samsung. It's a big week to be a tech geek.

yellowtruck

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
Apple Phobia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! I think the tech industry is suffering from ApplePhobia!!! They are terrified to get left begind again as they did with smartphones in 2007 and then again with tablets in 2010. So much so, that whatever Apple is even rumored to be doing, other tech companies are scrambling to cut them off at the pass! That is a very big complement and incentive for them to stay ahead of the game.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Funny

Funny how the Androids keep making bigger and bigger smartphones but are convinced that we also really want a small and underpowered phone on our wrist.

I don't think small screen on wrist is really going to be the way to go. At least not if the focus is reading email and texts.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Who is going to buy a lens extension for a phone instead of just a camera?

Have you seen the way it works? Checkout some videos (I'm too lazy to search it for you) and see how it works. To make it short, your lens (camera) can be away from you and at any angle, and you control it with your phone.

Last edited:

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Not content to allow Samsung to steal the spotlight, Sony today also kicked off the IFA 2014 conference with its own press event that unveiled new wearable devices ...

Exactly the same thing happened just before the first iPad was announced.
All manner of would-be competitors were announced at CES.
Here they were back then:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186281/dawn_of_the_tablet_pc_ces_2010_roundup.html

And just a year later there was a "Where are they now?" story:

http://www.technologizer.com/2011/09/30/ipad-alternatives-3/

Look for a new batch of "Where are they now?" stories about the current crop of smart watches in about a year.

iKane

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2013
Who is going to buy a lens extension for a phone instead of just a camera?

People who want a full sized sensor and camera features without spending hundreds and hundreds on a camera. The lens works as well as many high end cameras, but uses your iPhone or Android phone as the screen. It also means you can share the pictures as you take them, as well as edit them on your device. Moreover, Sony have released a free-to-use API that works over HTTP which means any OS can use it, including iOS, Android, OS X and Windows. It also means you don't have to carry around a camera and a phone on holiday, and can still take amazing pictures.

So, quite a few people I would imagine.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
How exactly have they 'inspired' other tech companies? They've not released a single thing yet.

It's not about what Apple releases. It's about what Apple rumored to be working on, plan to work on, or will work on. Other companies learned their lessons from the first iPhone. Back then, nobody care that Apple was working on a phone. They sat on their asses until the iPhone took them by surprise. this time, they're more proactive and keep an eye on Apple at all times. That is the inspiration.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Tim Cook must be smiling...
These ugly products (watches) by others will be pictured in Apple's keynote next week on how NOT to make a smart watch...
just like Steve did with the iPhone :D

The keyword you said was "watches" which come in different form factors and prices which for the most part are using Android wear. Pray that Apple has more than one watch design with various price factors. I noticed that with watch wearers they fall into at least two camps; people that love circle displays with the others liking squares.
Is there really "a right way" to make a watch? I've seen many so called iWatch designs here on MacRumors with people either liking or hating it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.