Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
Camping for this long?

Must be crazy, but if thats what they want to do!

I'll just order online at 1st opportunity available and get ASAP delivered to my door :)

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Based on past timelines, the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 could become available beginning on Friday, September 19.

This is awful for all of us who bought the iPhone 5 on Sept. 21, 2012 and are on a two-year contract.

If you check you're eligibility, you'll most likely see that you're eligible right now.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I'm going to assume these people don't have jobs, a life or anything. But they have $700 and patience...

As is typical, many of the campers lining up early are participating in publicity stunts to garner recognition for their companies, given the media attention early waiters tend to receive.

Proof that very few people read the articles.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are actually not waiting for the iPhone 6, but the iPhone 7. :rolleyes:

They plan to wait for 19 days, a day longer than the 18 day record.

Ceballo and Cruz have already profited, accepting $1,250 to give up the first place in line to Jason and Moon Ray, who are promoting a health app.

19 days of my time is worth more than $1,250, but for unemployed or people working at minimum wage this isn't really a terrible waste of their time. haha

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Based on past timelines, the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 could become available beginning on Friday, September 19.

This is awful for all of us who bought the iPhone 5 on Sept. 21, 2012 and are on a two-year contract.

According to my AT&T eligibility I am already eligible for a new iPhone on a two-year contract or Next payment plan for subsidized $199 pricing. And I got my iPhone 5 on launch day 2012 (ordered). When it gets this close to a new release, AT&T apparently doesn't quibble over a few days.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
But they HAVE jobs, in many cases!

That's the really sad part..... They work for companies who think this type of publicity is worth paying them to stand in the line for days (or they own companies like that and think their time is best spent waiting in that line for days!).

Get a job!!!

:p

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
Wow!:eek: I want the iphone but 19 days is a bit extreme! I will stand in line by my Mac mini and wait to order it instead. :p:cool::apple:

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
Did any of you even read the article? Most, if not all, of these people are just doing it for publicity for their company or whatever.

As is typical, many of the campers lining up early are participating in publicity stunts to garner recognition for their companies, given the media attention early waiters tend to receive.

Last edited by a moderator:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
MacRumours, these are professional line sitters. Stop click-baiting with a misleading headline; no Apple fan, no matter how deluded, would willingly do this for an early iPhone purchase.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Quite pathetic when folk queue like that! They really haven't got much going on in their lives or they need the social status that they're first to have an iPhone 6. I don't think I could be friends with such people!

taking the fanboy level to the next level :p

Every religion or social group has their extremist, the ones that give the rest a bad name.

Don't hate on these guys. They are rakin' it in!

If they profit $200 they are cashing in on $0.52 per hour!

Quite possibly the saddest thing I've read today, well that and the headline of the video "Professional line-sitters"

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin

Proof that very few people read the articles.

But all them big words are hard.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Getting an iPhone is not the point, clearly: if you know enough about Apple to want one THAT bad and know about these events, then you also know new models are not coming to the store right away.

At this point it has become nothing but an "out there" social event. If you're into that, you can feel like one of a small select group who does "such and such activity." All the more a source of "pride" by being difficult and uncomfortable, I suppose. (Like being a bike messenger maybe?)

I am not into that. You couldn't pay me enough.

Add it to the LONG list of social activities I just don't get: Apple Store campouts, drunken bar crawls, cruising the shopping mall, riding in circles in extra-loud modified vehicles, SuperBowl parties, loud clubs where you cannot converse, packed crowds where you cannot move, concerts where you cannot hear the music clearly, window-shopping for clothes, church, waiting in line to renew your driver's license... you name it.

The human race gets up to come real nuttiness: if it's not for you, at least enjoy the spectacle!

TIVO

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2014
Compared to this, a camera lens that juts out of the phone suddenly seems sane...

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Technically, we don't know if these guys are lined up for the next iPhone or the the NEXT iPhone after that.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
As much as I love Apple and am looking forward to getting an iPhone 6, I would NEVER camp out. Wait in line for a few hours? Maybe. But no phone is worth that. I'll just pick one up in October or November when the crowds die down.

Plus, I'm just too busy. I can't take a week+ off from my life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.