Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Communications chip maker Broadcom today announced a new 5G 802.11ac Wi-Fi chip designed for smartphones.

Capable of data throughput speeds of up to 650 Mbps, the BC4358 is Broadcom's second chip to use 2x2 MIMO (multiple input multiple output), bringing up to twice the Wi-Fi performance with 25 percent more power efficiency than 1x1 MIMO chips.

broadcom.jpg
MIMO is a technology that utilizes multiple antennas for both the transmitter and receiver to improve communication performance. Apple has adopted MIMO technology in the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display.
Today's content-centric consumer spends an average of 4-5 hours a day on Wi-Fi1. With 650 Mbps Wi-Fi data throughput and 50 percent better coexistence performance with Bluetooth, consumers can download content two times faster, stream videos with less buffering and connect to multiple Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices concurrently (e.g. listen to music while playing a game) without interference issues.
According to Broadcom, the new chips are already in production and will begin shipping in smartphones during the third quarter of 2014, which means the timing could possibly be right for inclusion in the iPhone 6.

According to Broadcom, its BCM4358 chip includes improved location accuracy that's accurate "down to one meter" for better indoor location-based services, which aligns with Apple's own indoor mapping aspirations. It's also the first chip that enables Angle-of-Arrival direction finding technology, another feature Apple could make use of. Rumors have suggested Apple is working on indoor mapping features for a future iOS 8 update.

It isn't known if Apple's iPhone 6 will use this specific chip, but Broadcom is one of Apple's partners, supplying chips for both its desktop and mobile devices. Apple uses Broadcom chips in its line of Macs that support 802.11ac, including the MacBook Air, Retina MacBook Pro, and iMac.

Rumors have suggested that the iPhone 6 will likely support 802.11ac, which has been included in Apple's Macs since 2013. 802.11ac Wi-Fi is designed to offer speeds up to three times as fast as existing 802.11n wireless networks.

Article Link: Broadcom Launches New 650Mbps 802.11ac Wi-Fi Chip for Mobile Devices

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Cool, but I don't even know where to find a 650Mbps Wi-Fi network. Does this mean using existing networks will get improved performance with this chip?

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
what is the bandwidth required for Wi-Di...

wireless display.. uncompressed that is.

Will be sick when smartphones can wirelessly display TVs.

not like apple TV. air play.

but direct uncompressed streaming, like WiDi

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Will find it's way to a new Airport Extreme?

The existing tower Airport Extreme already supports 3 stream 802.11ac. This is great for a mobile device, but for a base station or laptop the stuff Apple's using now already outclasses it.

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
Gigabit WiFi term...

"Rumors have suggested that the iPhone 6 will likely support 802.11ac, which has been included in Apple's Macs since 2013. 802.11ac, or "Gigabit" Wi-Fi is designed to offer speeds up to three times as fast as existing 802.11n wireless networks."

I'd definitely NOT use the term "Gigabit WiFi" when talking about 802.11ac in a smartphone form factor. That simple isn't happening, MacRumors shouldn't confuse the readers with careless statements like that.

The only time you'll actually achieve "gigabit" WiFi 1300Mbps handshake is when using 3x3 MIMO AC router + 3x3 MIMO capable device like a laptop/desktop and 80MHz channel. Even then the chances of getting the actual 1Gbps rates is slim to none.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
have suggested that the iPhone 6 will likely support 802.11ac, which has been included in Apple's Macs since 2013...

Also known as last year.

I noticed during the Samsung keynote that they also referred to things as "since 2013" as if it had been quite some time.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Cool, but I don't even know where to find a 650Mbps Wi-Fi network. Does this mean using existing networks will get improved performance with this chip?

Go make a friend in Chattanooga with gigafiber and an Airport Express.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Also known as last year.

I noticed during the Samsung "keynote" that they also referred to things as "since 2013" as if it had been quite some time.

I had to fix that for you. I watched part of their so-called "keynote" and it all seemed really staged. Just the way that they were talking and commenting on the devices seemed totally premeditated (even though these things are, but they sounded like they were reading from a script)

Apple hasn't used 2x2 in any iPhone yet. So I suppose we could get the chip in the iPhone 6 but only limited to 1x1 MIMO.

iPhone 6S feature perhaps?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
This won't be in the iPhone 6, but the phone will have wireless AC.

Hopefully not wireless alternating current :eek: I know what you mean though. :) Although doesn't wireless/inductive charging use an alternating current? ;)

NintendoFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Massachusetts
I had to fix that for you. I watched part of their so-called "keynote" and it all seemed really staged. Just the way that they were talking and commenting on the devices seemed totally premeditated (even though these things are, but they sounded like they were reading from a script)

iPhone 6S feature perhaps?

MIMO requires multiple antennas, so it's hard to say how Apple wants to handle that.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
It isn't MacRumors terminology. Broadcom has used it in the past to describe 802.11ac

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...neration-5g-wi-fi-breakthrough-136728148.html

"Rumors have suggested that the iPhone 6 will likely support 802.11ac, which has been included in Apple's Macs since 2013. 802.11ac, or "Gigabit" Wi-Fi is designed to offer speeds up to three times as fast as existing 802.11n wireless networks."

I'd definitely NOT use the term "Gigabit WiFi" when talking about 802.11ac in a smartphone form factor. That simple isn't happening, MacRumors shouldn't confuse the readers with careless statements like that.

The only time you'll actually achieve "gigabit" WiFi 1300Mbps handshake is when using 3x3 MIMO AC router + 3x3 MIMO capable device like a laptop/desktop and 80MHz channel. Even then the chances of getting the actual 1Gbps rates is slim to none.

It's the general term Broadcom's used, but I certainly see your point when applied to mobile. I've taken it out, appreciate the advice :)

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
So...is Comcast going to push out entry level plans that support these speeds?

lol. I think I'll have decomposed in my grave before they hit 300mbps

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
unless you're on sprint.

then you're still screwed

/s

Even though this is for wifi, I can't help but agree.

;)

----------

So...is Comcast going to push out entry level plans that support these speeds?

lol. I think I'll have decomposed in my grave before they hit 300mbps

They apparently have up to 505 Mbps in some areas.

Though, it definitely seems like other providers are taking more initiative there.

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
Will find it's way to a new Airport Extreme?

ive never really understood the airport extreme. does it only help spread the current signal you have? like boost the range? or does it actually enhance it as in more speed/bandwith?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.