Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

jony_ive-250x285.png
Ahead of Apple's September 9 event, in which the company is expected to finally show off the much-rumored iWatch, an Apple designer told the New York Times (via 9to5Mac), in a larger piece about fashion and technology, that Jony Ive is bragging that the iWatch could endanger traditional watchmakers.
According to a designer who works at Apple, Jonathan Ive, Apple's design chief, in bragging about how cool he thought the iWatch was shaping up to be, gleefully said Switzerland is in trouble -- though he chose a much bolder term for "trouble" to express how he thought the watchmaking nation might be in a tough predicament when Apple's watch comes out.
While part leaks for the device have been nonexistent and solid information about the device's capabilities have been hard to come by, rumors have indicated the wearable may have NFC capabilities, tight integration with iOS 8, features related to health and fitness and that it would serve as an accessory device to the iPhone.

Rumors have suggested the iWatch will be introduced at Apple's September 9 event and will likely launch in early 2015.

Article Link: Jony Ive On iWatch: Switzerland is in Trouble

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Didn't know there was a watch market to begin with :)

For real I can see this though I mean now that we have cellphones how many people really have home phones...

Reactions: thermodynamic

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Rolex is operating out of Switzerland so we are positively screwed price wise. Would have felt better if he said Casio and Rolex are screwed.
And what's stopping Rolex (and others) from making a Android Wear smartwatch? Apple best "watch" its step!

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
People that buy $10,000-$50,000 watches aren't going to not buy them because of Apple.

There was an interview with one of the luxury watch vendors CEO back when the first digital watches came out in the 70's. The interviewer asked about the threatening competition from digital watches, and the CEO gave back the answer "We're not in the watch business. We're in the Jewelry business."

The Swiss watchmakers have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: nia820 and astoxos

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
People that buy $10,000-$50,000 watches aren't going to not buy them because of Apple.

Yeah, I think it was meant as a joke. He just means that Apple's iWatch is going to rival or surpass Swiss watches in terms of looks, not that people are going to stop buying Swiss watches.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Lol, switzerland we have a problem.

Really can't wait apple unveil the iwatch !!

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
kinda different markets

traditional watches are jewelry that can be handed down generations.

Any watch apple makes will be obsolete after the next revision, or within a couple years.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Am I alone in being bothered by the iWatch being referred to as an accessory? This to me implies very limited functionality, and subservience to whatever device for which it is an accessory.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
This is a joke, right?

No-one is going to stop Swiss timepieces because of an Apple iWatch. These watchmakers are crafting timeless pieces of jewellery, not phone accompaniments.

Reactions: maxsix

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
If Johnny Ive thinks that people buy high end watches aka
"Switzerland" are going to stop buying Rolexes, Breitlings or even Tag-Heuer for a iWatch then he's in trouble. People don't buy those watches for function. I think Apple may be clueless on this one. How many women wear smart-watches?

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Traditional watch makers are already hurting. Have you seen the prices of used Rolexes or Omega's?

I own one of each and while I don't regret buying them some 16 and 20 years ago, I wouldn't buy them today. (I am 57).

People under 30 don't wear watches as they use their phones. So if Apple or Samsung gets them wearing watches again it will be a NEW market that wouldn't change the current watch market that was already hurting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.