Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Angry Birds Stella, the latest entry in Rovio's highly successful Angry Birds series, today launched for iOS devices. The game puts players in the role of lead character Stella and five of her bird friends as they protect their home of Golden Island from piggies through more than 120 playable levels.

Notable gameplay features include a new tap-to-hold mechanic to target attacks and
the ability to scan Hasbro's interactive "Telepod" toys to bring different birds into play. Rovio will also be launching a new cartoon, animations, books and toys to complement the launch of Angry Birds Stella on iOS.

Angry Birds Stella is a free app for iOS devices and can be downloaded through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Angry Birds Stella' Now Available for iOS Devices Worldwide

BaldyUK

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
And there I was thinking the Angry Birds were going to get pissed up on lager, don a string vest and beat their wives.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Well I still enjoy AB. Weird that it's not on the App Store yet but I can download it on one of my android devices.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Guys... Stop. Please. ****ing. Stop.

Why are you willing to waste your money on this same stupid game? Literally, there are so many of the exact same thing with different themes.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Meh, it's very pretty. But it's the same game as before.

I would say that they started losing ground after Rio. I think people were excited about Space, but that's when we all realized that this is just the same game again. The Star Wars ones didn't help in reaffirming that. Bad Piggies helped them get away from that, but its machine building gameplay was too complicated.

Go was just a let down. I'm sure it got better after the first track, but it made a bad first impression.

I didn't give Epic enough time, but it wasn't one of those games I wanted to.

They're competing against fast paced/quick fix games, which I think they still don't understand yet. Their audience is way too old for targeting animations and plush toys too aswell. I don't think this new game is going to capture a new one either.

I think they need to jump on the card game bandwagon personally. It would be really nice because they can do both digital and physical versions of it, and it would be something a lot of people would go for if done right.

darklyt

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
How long are they going to keep milking it?

Hopefully as long as Nintendo has milked Mario. ;)

It's important to realize that our attachment to these games/fads/stories is built in our childhood which leads us to form a much stronger bond than we do to the games we encounter in our adulthood. In other words, they'll keep "milking" it until the generation this is aimed at stops playing.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Why are you willing to waste your money on this same stupid game? Literally, there are so many of the exact same thing with different themes.

Because the Pac-Man, Mario and Donkey Kong variants are all significantly different. Not to mention the likes of Halo, Metroid and GTA. And Barbie, Mr PotatoHead and Monopoly.

There is nothing new about this strategy. It's called a franchise.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I think it's time for a well-respected tech site to do a "state of IOS games" piece. I recently purged a bunch of games from my iOS devices and realized the only ones I really enjoy are simple, quick-play casual types like THREES and TWO DOTS.

How many more "sling X at Y" types do we need? Or runners? Jetpack Joyride, Doodle Jump, Temple Run...all have the same mechanic.

I am digging the new Madden game, however. Dare I say EA did something right, for once?

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Is Angry Birds still relevant?

I was thinking this a few days ago.

It's a little too relevant. Every little kid has some Angry Birds merchandise. I just have the game. The $1 was worth it.

----------

I am digging the new Madden game, however. Dare I say EA did something right, for once?

Why all the hate for EA? I've got tons of EA games on Xbox and GameCube, and they're all really good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.