Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LSDWho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Hi,

We're running a large Windows network at a school with all pupils having individual Windows domain logins. Most of the subjects use Windows based PC's (Win 7). However, a small number of departments (Art, Music etc) have a number of Macs.

We have the Macs running fine on the network with pupils able to log in on the Macs via their AD accounts (all Mac workstations joined to both OD and AD - running 10.9.4). They have access to their "Windows" home folder on the dock and also a separate Home folder created locally on the mac they log into. Until now that has been fine. However, we want to move to having all the Mac home folders on one NAS, giving greater flexibility for pupils to move from Mac to Mac and keep the same files, and also retain separate access to their AD folders too (although this last bit isn't essential)

I gather I can edit their AD accounts to change the Windows home folder to point to the NAS used for the Mac Home folders, which will fix the problem when they log onto the Macs. But of course this is of no use as they will still need to be connecting to their Windows home folder whenever they log onto a PC.

On the Mac server (running 3.1.2) the ability to change the Home folder is grayed out for AD accounts. Similarly when I try and change the Home path in Workgroup Manager (10.9) the process errors - "Error of type eDSNoStdMappingAvailable (-14140) on line 1351 of /SourceCache/WorkgroupManager/WorkgroupManager-421/Plugins/UserAccounts/UserVol umesPluginView.mm"

Finally, I have also gone into the Directory Utility and tried changing the NFSHomeDirectory to the correct path manually, but again when I try and save I get an error "An invalid attribute type was not provided".

Just to get to the nub of the problem - can I set up a separate networked home folder location for AD users logging onto my Macs, independent of the Windows home directory. Ideally as I have well over 1000 student accounts this is something I'd like to be able to sort en mass rather than individually, but will take any suggestions at this point!

Cheers,

LSDWho

LSDWho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Still in need of help

Hi,

Could still do with trying to work out if this is possible. If anyone has any ideas / suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

LSDWho

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.