Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:05 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Negotiates Lower Transaction Fees With Credit Card Issuers for Mobile Payments Initiative

As part of its upcoming payments initiative, Apple has reportedly negotiated deals for lower credit card transaction fees with several credit card issuers. According to Bank Innovation, Apple has entered into agreements with American Express, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, Capital One, and Bank of America.

The banks have agreed to allow all of Apple's transactions to be conducted as "card present," a set fee charged when a customer uses a card in a physical retail location. Typically, there's also a higher "card not present" fee that's charged when a card is used online, due to security issues. Apple's also managed to secure a lower "card present" fee on top of that, cutting its costs further.
Quote:
Beyond that, Apple has also managed to bump down the actual "card present" rate by 15 to 25 basis points, according to people with knowledge of the talks. Normal "card present" discount rates, which are shared by issuers and networks but determined by the network, are about 1.5%, which means that Apple appears as though it will get around a 10% discount on the processing rate it will pay. Last quarter, Apple generated $4.5 billion of iTunes revenue -- this implies that Apple will save at least $27 million as a result of these deals with the banks. Of course, more revenue volume is expected upon launch of Apple's payments venture.
Apple has reportedly been able to negotiate this lower rate by ensuring banks that transactions will be secure, both through the use of the NFC chip which reports location, and through Touch ID, which will be used to authenticate transactions.

In addition to signing deals with several financial institutions, Apple has also managed to secure deals with major credit card companies Visa, MasterCard, and American Express, and it's also been speaking with various retailers about its upcoming payments service.

Rumors have suggested that Apple's payment service will allow iPhone owners to use their devices to make payments both online and in retail stores, possibly linking credit cards to existing iTunes accounts. Apple is expected to announce its mobile payments initiative during its September 9 media event.

Article Link: Apple Negotiates Lower Transaction Fees With Credit Card Issuers for Mobile Payments Initiative
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:05 PM   #2
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

It's happening!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Milese3
macrumors regular

You see, like the tablet, Apple is doing what it does best. Instead of inventing the tablet, it revolutionised the tablet industry and made people want one.

With NFC, Apple may not be the first to use it, however, they're likely to change the way people use it- enhancing it, for the better.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:07 PM   #4
markyr17
macrumors Demi-God

This is very exciting If apple does it right, paying with smartphones may become the norm.
markyr17 is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:08 PM   #5
aprofetto8
macrumors regular

Credit card Issuers to pay Apple a fee of 1.75%.
aprofetto8 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:08 PM   #6
forcesteeler
macrumors regular

They got the discount because of TouchID, which has never been successfully hacked yet so its easy revenue for Banks and Chargebacks will not be major factor.
forcesteeler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:09 PM   #7
monaarts
macrumors 65816

If this is true I think it confirms Touch ID is coming... The card not present additional fee is used for the banks to recoup losses because of the increased chance of fraud and therefor loss for the bank. I'd think the only way the banks would agree is if there was an increased security to ensure fraud isn't possible.

Matter of fact, if this is the case it would make my credit card more secure than using the actual credit card. iPhone/iWatch + fingerprint security > credit card with a signature
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:09 PM   #8
Applefan 2013
macrumors 6502

That iPhone OS 3.0 In-App Purchase Icon...
Applefan 2013 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:11 PM   #9
osaga
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milese3 View Post
You see, like the tablet, Apple is doing what it does best. Instead of inventing the tablet, it revolutionised the tablet industry and made people want one.

With NFC, Apple may not be the first to use it, however, they're likely to change the way people use it- enhancing it, for the better.
Thanks captain obvious
osaga is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:14 PM   #10
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Good on Apple. About time this comes to the market.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:14 PM   #11
designaholic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applefan 2013 View Post
That iPhone OS 3.0 In-App Purchase Icon...
So skeuomorphic, my eyes are nearly bleeding
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:15 PM   #12
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Hmm perhaps we'll see my "swipe and scan" payment method afterall.

Swipe your wrist (iWatch with NFC) across a payment terminal. Scan your fingerprint on your iPhone for authentication.

Of course, if you don't want to purchase an iWatch, the process can be done solely on an iPhone (swipe the iPhone).

REALLY looking forward to this.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:15 PM   #13
JeffyTheQuik
macrumors regular

After yesterday's sell off, this is nice, as it's a continuous revenue stream, rather than cyclical, tied to the releases of new hardware. I hope this raises the floor on Apple earnings.
JeffyTheQuik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:16 PM   #14
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

This great news! More incentive for people to move forward with Apple's mobile payment plans!
lolkthxbai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:16 PM   #15
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffyTheQuik View Post
After yesterday's sell off, this is nice, as it's a continuous revenue stream, rather than cyclical, tied to the releases of new hardware. I hope this raises the floor on Apple earnings.
AAPL is down another $0.78 today.

Betcha we see a HUGE spike come Wednesday.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:18 PM   #16
AppleHater
macrumors 6502

I love the way Apple handle business. Unlike some other competitors that just throw a new technology in, they actually establish the full flow that users can actually use it from day one.
AppleHater is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:20 PM   #17
MehkBehk
macrumors newbie

You Americans and your fees for everything, lol.
MehkBehk is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:21 PM   #18
ny3ranger
macrumors member

Hmm didnt think about that one. Wonder if when you are buying something in your mac and need to put in credit card information. You can use your iOS touch ID to verify that payment information over to the mac. That way its "in person" even when you are buying something online.

Or new macs will also have touchID built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

As part of its upcoming payments initiative, Apple has reportedly negotiated deals for lower credit card transaction fees with several credit card issuers. According to Bank Innovation, Apple has entered into agreements with American Express, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, Capital One, and Bank of America.

The banks have agreed to allow all of Apple's transactions to be conducted as "card present," a set fee charged when a customer uses a card in a physical retail location. Typically, there's also a higher "card not present" fee that's charged when a card is used online, due to security issues. Apple's also managed to secure a lower "card present" fee on top of that, cutting its costs further.Apple has reportedly been able to negotiate this lower rate by ensuring banks that transactions will be secure, both through the use of the NFC chip which reports location, and through Touch ID, which will be used to authenticate transactions.

In addition to signing deals with several financial institutions, Apple has also managed to secure deals with major credit card companies Visa, MasterCard, and American Express, and it's also been speaking with various retailers about its upcoming payments service.

Rumors have suggested that Apple's payment service will allow iPhone owners to use their devices to make payments both online and in retail stores, possibly linking credit cards to existing iTunes accounts. Apple is expected to announce its mobile payments initiative during its September 9 media event.

Article Link: Apple Negotiates Lower Transaction Fees With Credit Card Issuers for Mobile Payments Initiative
ny3ranger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:21 PM   #19
ianKent
macrumors newbie

And once again Apple defines what "an ecosystem" is to all the naysayers.
ianKent is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:22 PM   #20
JeffyTheQuik
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
AAPL is down another $0.78 today.

Betcha we see a HUGE spike come Wednesday.
Or Tuesday. This happens during trading hours. I think traders will be watching the keynote on one of the screens, and their accounts on the other.
JeffyTheQuik is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:22 PM   #21
vpro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyr17 View Post
This is very exciting If apple does it right, paying with smartphones may become the norm.
I certainly hope NOT! EVER! Losing a wallet is a huge enough hassle, losing your entire life on a phone, that is being resold in the black-market for pennies, oh my goodness gracious God help us all.

I only pay in gold chains or nuggets still - seriously!

I love you all!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:23 PM   #22
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny3ranger View Post
Hmm didnt think about that one. Wonder if when you are buying something in your mac and need to put in credit card information. You can use your iOS touch ID to verify that payment information over to the mac. That way its "in person" even when you are buying something online.

Or new macs will also have touchID built in.
I would love to have my aluminum apple keyboard get touchid, if anything to unlock 1password for me
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:24 PM   #23
JeffyTheQuik
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehkBehk View Post
You Americans and your fees for everything, lol.
The business of America is business. -Calvin Coolidge
JeffyTheQuik is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:25 PM   #24
markyr17
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpro View Post
I certainly hope NOT! EVER! Losing a wallet is a huge enough hassle, losing your entire life on a phone, that is being resold in the black-market for pennies, oh my goodness gracious God help us all.

I only pay in gold chains or nuggets still - seriously!

I love you all!
I fear you've missed the point of Apple's security. 2 Thing I have to say about this

1. Apple's security IS nop notch. Requiring TouchID for purchases, I presume.
2. You're never liable for any fraud using credit cards. The credit card companies take care of that.
markyr17 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 02:26 PM   #25
MacLC
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyr17 View Post
Even in Asia where NFC-based payments are way ahead of the US market, people prefer paying in cash. This is nice and all, but cash is still the best.

The number one advantage of cash aside from security is the fact that paying with cash helps the payer stay aware of payments.
I personally have switched months paying with either all cash or all credit. Looking back I found that I saved more money and spent less when I paid with all cash than with all credit. I dare anybody to try the same test and I guarantee that they will get the same results. I'll probably get a new Mac next year and I will be paying for it in cash.
MacLC is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion