Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
For you, TechGod. :D

For those not in the know, the Haka is the traditional war cry and dance of the Maori people in New Zealand. Normally, this is done by the New Zealand All Blacks rugby team before every match. So it was a shock to see the basketball team do it...

But on top of that, where you have the NBA stars who think they're badass.. they are stunned, quiet, and in complete shock and awe seeing this, as if they are going to get their arses kicked. Even the announcer was taken by surprise.

Enjoy!

BL.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Good war dance, but it did little in terms of kicking the NBA all star team. :D

Oh, I agree, but it's the looks on their faces.. it's either "Should I laugh my ass off!?", or "I'm about to get my ass kicked!"

Something they've never seen before, and unless they explore the world, something they'll never see again.. and the looks on their faces were just priceless.

BL.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Good war dance, but it did little in terms of kicking the NBA all star team. :D

LOL true! But basketball is very very small here, Rugby is big, and with a population of around 4.5 million we do pretty well with rugby. Rugby here is what basketball is for you. Ranking wise, always No.1, etc

DonJudgeMe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Arizona
It looks like the US basketball team is wondering why the rugby team is on the basketball court.

Also, the dance is used to intimidate the opponent, which is hilarious and extremely ironic considering basketball players are worse than soccer players when it comes to whining about fouls.

I would bet the rugby club is not to thrilled about the use of their traditional dance, especially when the basketball team is anything but intimidating.:rolleyes:

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Don't all sport teams that represent New Zealand do the Haka? It's certainly nothing new for NZ basketball teams to do it. Not sure whether the All Whites (national soccer team) do it, too.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Don't all sport teams that represent New Zealand do the Haka? It's certainly nothing new for NZ basketball teams to do it. Not sure whether the All Whites (national soccer team) do it, too.

All Blacks, Tall Blacks, All Whites, and their AFL team do it, that I have seen.

Definitely not new to NZ, but as you could see, definitely nothing that the NBA has ever seen before, which is why they were taken aback by it.

If an NFL team were to come up with something like this to do right before the game starts, it may actually make the sport interesting instead of boring.

Prime example: a pumped up challenge and response, courtesy of the New Zealand/Fiji rugby match, with the Fijians laying down the challenge with the Cibi:

Certainly does bring the intensity.

BL.

DonJudgeMe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Arizona

I have seen the All Whites do it after a match, which is even more disrespectful considering it it is a pre-war dance. The All Blacks are really the only ones who should be doing this, IMO, as they are the only team that actually uses the dance to intimidate opponents before they literally beat the bloody hell out of their opponents. Basketball and football players have no business doing this.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I have seen the All Whites do it after a match, which is even more disrespectful considering it it is a pre-war dance. The All Blacks are really the only ones who should be doing this, IMO, as they are the only team that actually uses the dance to intimidate opponents before they literally beat the bloody hell out of their opponents. Basketball and football players have no business doing this.

Have you seen an Australian Rules football match? Not so much different than Rugby, and both dwarf the NFL in terms of excitement, entertainment, intensity, and athleticism as a sport.

BL.

DonJudgeMe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Arizona
Epic Football Pump Up: http://youtu.be/oAA03pcfvB0

If an NFL team were to come up with something like this to do right before the game starts, it may actually make the sport interesting instead of boring.

BL.

Do you ever watch the pregames of NFL games? My guess is no... because there is something very similar every game, by EVERY TEAM. Enjoy.

----------

Have you seen an Australian Rules football match? Not so much different than Rugby, and both dwarf the NFL in terms of excitement, entertainment, intensity, and athleticism as a sport.

BL.

I agree. My apologies. Football, not soccer, is acceptable. But we will have to disagree on the terms of most exciting. The Australian Football League doesnt air in Arizona, so theres nothing to be excited about for me. Also, the NFL is largely known, worldwide, whereas this AFL is not. I would be open to watching though, as i am a sports fanatic.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Epic Football Pump Up: http://youtu.be/oAA03pcfvB0

Do you ever watch the pregames of NFL games? My guess is no... because there is something very similar every game, by EVERY TEAM. Enjoy.

----------

I agree. My apologies. Football, not soccer, is acceptable. But we will have to disagree on the terms of most exciting. The Australian Football League doesnt air in Arizona, so theres nothing to be excited about for me. Also, the NFL is largely known, worldwide, whereas this AFL is not. I would be open to watching though, as i am a sports fanatic.

Trust me, the AFL airs there. It's on Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2, as they air it at my in-laws place in Kingman, as well as Vegas, and here in Sacramento. It's been on every weekend since the beginning of March, with them going into their finals this weekend, and their Grand Final (equivalent of our Super Bowl) always being the last Saturday in September.

Interesting note for you: A lot of AFL teams generally do their high-altitude training in Arizona, mainly between Phoenix, Prescott Valley, and Flagstaff.

BL.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
All Blacks, Tall Blacks, All Whites, and their AFL team do it, that I have seen.

Definitely not new to NZ, but as you could see, definitely nothing that the NBA has ever seen before, which is why they were taken aback by it.

Prime example: a pumped up challenge and response, courtesy of the New Zealand/Fiji rugby match, with the Fijians laying down the challenge with the Cibi:

YouTube: video

Certainly does bring the intensity.

BL.

That was a cool video!!!!! These guys looked a little more intimidating to say the least!

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
That was a cool video!!!!! These guys looked a little more intimidating to say the least!

One more for you. For some crazy reason, I can't stop watching this one.

This is a good 10 minute Haka compilation. The Cibi is also included in this one, but like I said.. I haven't seen intensity like this in any college football or NFL game ever, and I've been to my share of games.

Enjoy.

BL.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC

The occasional American college basketball team do their summer offseason tour in New Zealand. Stanford University travelled there around 10 years, and were treated to the performance of the Haka before at least of of their matches against the local NZ teams. So, there is a potential avenue for an American professional basketball player to have seen it before.

DonJudgeMe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Arizona
Trust me, the AFL airs there. It's on Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2, as they air it at my in-laws place in Kingman, as well as Vegas, and here in Sacramento. It's been on every weekend since the beginning of March, with them going into their finals this weekend, and their Grand Final (equivalent of our Super Bowl) always being the last Saturday in September.

Interesting note for you: A lot of AFL teams generally do their high-altitude training in Arizona, mainly between Phoenix, Prescott Valley, and Flagstaff.

BL.

I had no idea that they aired, but I'll have to check it out. I am not surprised that they do training in northern AZ. People from all over the world do, and also in CO. I am involved with the NFL myself, and I've been around it my whole life. Nothing compares to some good old-fashioned Futbol Americano.

Thank you for the information.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
One more for you. For some crazy reason, I can't stop watching this one.

This is a good 10 minute Haka compilation. The Cibi is also included in this one, but like I said.. I haven't seen intensity like this in any college football or NFL game ever, and I've been to my share of games.

Enjoy.

BL.

That is awesome!! I love how the main guy that is starting it off looks like Gerard Butler from 300!!!!!

Is this a tradition between the two teams when they square off before the game? I am very unfamiliar with Rugby.

I agree, I haven't seen anything like this as a group, I have seen individual players at football games (college and pro), but nothing like this!

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
For you, TechGod. :D

For those not in the know, the Haka is the traditional war cry and dance of the Maori people in New Zealand. Normally, this is done by the New Zealand All Blacks rugby team before every match. So it was a shock to see the basketball team do it...

But on top of that, where you have the NBA stars who think they're badass.. they are stunned, quiet, and in complete shock and awe seeing this, as if they are going to get their arses kicked. Even the announcer was taken by surprise.

Enjoy!

BL.
Stunned? quiet? in shock? I don't know what type of reaction you were expecting to be honest.

I mean, they had the same expressions as any other pre game matchup where they stand while being announced.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
That is awesome!! I love how the main guy that is starting it off looks like Gerard Butler from 300!!!!!

Is this a tradition between the two teams when they square off before the game? I am very unfamiliar with Rugby.

I agree, I haven't seen anything like this as a group, I have seen individual players at football games (college and pro), but nothing like this!

We are the Titans has nothing on this. Nor does riding a covered wagon across the field (Sooners), or herding buffalo onto the ground (Colorado, IIRC). This is just the (T)All Blacks at its best.

Stunned? quiet? in shock? I don't know what type of reaction you were expecting to be honest.

I mean, they had the same expressions as any other pre game matchup where they stand while being announced.

One of the reasons why there have been complaints and people wanting to ban it is because of the intimidation factor. You have to admit that after watching some of those, the blood and adrenaline do get pumping, and you think "forget the game, I just want to get in a fight!" :D

For those expecting the Haka, they know how to deal with it.. Like Fiji, or France, or Australia during any Rugby match. The US basketball team? not so much, as they had more of a stunned "WTF?!?" look on their face, or just dismissed it as a performance.

As far as what they could have done, they could have stood their ground and brought it to them, like the Welsh:

Now.. Imagine if Dan Snyder could have earned the respect of the Natives here, consulted them regarding a similar dance/war cry, and the Washington team perform that in front of their opposing team's sideline.

BL.

Last edited:

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan

I personally had no idea any other sport besides the NZ rugby team did it. Their versions of it have been viral, must-see clips. I don't think I've ever seen another sport perform it until this point. It seemed oddly out of place to me, personally.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I personally had no idea any other sport besides the NZ rugby team did it. Their versions of it have been viral, must-see clips. I don't think I've ever seen another sport perform it until this point. It seemed oddly out of place to me, personally.

There is actually this rugby team in Muenster, Germany that had a few of their guys perform the Haka. They were able to get away with it, especially against the All Blacks because they were born/raised in New Zealand. they got signed to the Germany team, but didn't forget their heritage. So they performed it against the All Blacks. Gutsy at that.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.