Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Does anyone find that tabs with Safari iPad 2 can sometimes be difficult to close? I regularly have three to four tabs open on the iPad yet when I tap the X to close them they often stubbornly refuse to close. The model is the 32gig Wifi only version, about month old with all the latest updates, virtually devoid of clutter, only four apps so far etc.

krawfo

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
I'll be watching the answer to this post. I was just searching for an answer to exactly the same thing.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
I find that sometimes when I mean to touch one link I accidentally touch another. I must have big fingers.

iPutz

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
I've had that happen also. I think Safari is waiting for content to be downloaded from a website. Might be an ad server that's running slow. Once all the content appears, the tab can be closed.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I've had that happen also. I think Safari is waiting for content to be downloaded from a website. Might be an ad server that's running slow. Once all the content appears, the tab can be closed.

Sadly that's not the case with mine as the tab may well have been open for ages.

FrannyK

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
I know, right???

Not being able to close tabs in Safari on iPad2 has been driving me crazy! My father has complained about this for the past two months, since he got the iPad2 for his 80th birthday. We thought it was just him/his fingers maybe unsteady. Then I got an iPad2 for Xmas and have the same problem. Oddly, I discovered by mistake, if you tap just to the left of the "x" the tab will close. It seems like I'm tapping the edge of the tab to the left of the tab I want to close if that makes sense. Try it, it works! I don't know why this is "off" and tapping directly on the "x" doesn't work??? I googled this problem and I assume it's not very common because I really couldn't find anything on it. So I was happy to see this post and be able to respond :)

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Not being able to close tabs in Safari on iPad2 has been driving me crazy! My father has complained about this for the past two months, since he got the iPad2 for his 80th birthday. We thought it was just him/his fingers maybe unsteady. Then I got an iPad2 for Xmas and have the same problem. Oddly, I discovered by mistake, if you tap just to the left of the "x" the tab will close. It seems like I'm tapping the edge of the tab to the left of the tab I want to close if that makes sense. Try it, it works! I don't know why this is "off" and tapping directly on the "x" doesn't work??? I googled this problem and I assume it's not very common because I really couldn't find anything on it. So I was happy to see this post and be able to respond :)

Will give it a try - I have had some success by holding my finger with a little pressure on the cross for around 10 - 15 seconds, it sometimes does the job. I have to say though that given an option Safari would not be my browser of choice. I rarely use it on my iMac though obviously lose the benefit of gestures. There again I don't use Magic Mouse much as it devours batteries whereas my Logitech lasts for months and months.

Phil Champ

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2014

Yes, I too discovered after months of frustration that you can close tabs by tapping the left edge. It looks like a bug to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.