Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
If someone bought a sealed iPhone 4/4S today, right now, would they still have the same death-grip antenna issues as they did when they were first released or has Apple fixed this problem with recent devices that are being sold in stores now?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
they fixed it, well with the white model at least. I mean if you're holding it in a way that you manage to completely seal the 2 bottom antenna's then you need it in a case. The whole time I owned a 4 I never had the problem unless I intentionally tried to do it, and most of the time it didn't work.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The problem was w the 4 so. am sure the fixed it for the 4s. To me the 4s is the best looking w solid performance if u don't need the latest.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
they fixed it, well with the white model at least. I mean if you're holding it in a way that you manage to completely seal the 2 bottom antenna's then you need it in a case. The whole time I owned a 4 I never had the problem unless I intentionally tried to do it, and most of the time it didn't work.

Why would they have fixed white phones but not black? Where'd you hear that? It's not true -- they made a fix to both color and all capacities.

The problem was w the 4 so. am sure the fixed it for the 4s. To me the 4s is the best looking w solid performance if u don't need the latest.

That's what I was going to say -- I'm pretty sure this was an issue for the iPhone 4, not the iPhone 4S. By the time the 4S was unveiled, they had already straightened out all of the antennagate issues.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Also new iphone 4 have fixed this. They now have 4s antenna.

I lol'd. :D
Such a good joke...
You know that the 4 and 4s have totally different antennas because the 4S is a world phone ?
iPhone 4 - two models for CDMA & GSM Networks
iPhone 4S -one model for CDMA & GSM Networks
+ the 4S antenna has better 3G Network performance than the iPhone 4 antenna.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Why would they have fixed white phones but not black? Where'd you hear that? It's not true -- they made a fix to both color and all capacities.

That's what I was going to say -- I'm pretty sure this was an issue for the iPhone 4, not the iPhone 4S. By the time the 4S was unveiled, they had already straightened out all of the antennagate issues.

My white iPhone 4 from July 2011 had no such antennagate issue, at least not any that I recall of. I'm not going to speak on a model I have not tested. That's why I said "at least on the white" and not "only on the white"

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
The GSM iPhone 4 will always have it. It's just a hardware thing. For CDMA they fixed it and the 4S as well.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
The GSM iPhone 4 will always have it. It's just a hardware thing. For CDMA they fixed it and the 4S as well.

Exactly. The new 8 gig 4 from verizon has the 4s antenna. You can't tell them apart now, physically.

----------

Lol the "new" iphone 4 is the 4S and 5. They never changed the 4 except making an 8GB model.

Lol right back at ya.

----------

I lol'd. :D
Such a good joke...
You know that the 4 and 4s have totally different antennas because the 4S is a world phone ?
iPhone 4 - two models for CDMA & GSM Networks
iPhone 4S -one model for CDMA & GSM Networks
+ the 4S antenna has better 3G Network performance than the iPhone 4 antenna.

Verizon model 4 has the 4s antenna. No more antenna issues as far as verizon models.

Al'sDad

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
I had a '4' from day one, and never experienced any antenna/weak signal/drop call issues, no matter how I held the phone. It was black, by the way.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Perhaps if they offer the "new" 8 gig model. I don't know if they do.

----------

As long as the antennas match the look of the 4s then its a new 4. The antenna dividers are on the sides and not on top and on the bottom like the older 4. Dividers on sides= new 4 and 4s

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
antennagate was a made up media thing, not a real issue. Used an iphone 4 for years, never, ever had a problem. It was all overblown rubbish meant to sell papers and get people to CLICK HERE.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I don't understand what you're saying. GSM models haven't eliminated antennagate but only CDMA models have?

Yes. The GSM iPhone 4 was the original, and it had Antennagate. They later released the CDMA version, and fixed the antenna.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
If someone bought a sealed iPhone 4/4S today, right now, would they still have the same death-grip antenna issues as they did when they were first released or has Apple fixed this problem with recent devices that are being sold in stores now?

Fixed since 4S.

here2011

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2011
Yeah it sure brought the self proclaimed 'god' jobs down to earth with his infallible i products.

Anitramane

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2013
Yes, really. Not sure what a song and a Jobs keynote address proves.

Almost any phone held in a way to obscure antennas will suffer from degraded reception.
I was replying to someone that said that antenna gate was made up by the media. That’s not true.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I was replying to someone that said that antenna gate was made up by the media. That’s not true.

I know what you were doing. I was saying that you weren't doing it well.

Let's meet in the middle: It was "a thing," but it was a completely sensationalized, overblown, "thing" made so by the 24-hour news cycle and media outlets frothing at the mouth to knock Apple down a peg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.