Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
I currently have a new Time Capsule (the AC tower version) and have it set to extend wireless networking to a couple of AirPort Express routers (1 of the older wall-plug style, and 1 of the current AppleTV sized style).

Both Express units report "Excellent" connectivity and are running on 802.11a/n at between 216 and 275Mb/s.

Would I benefit from upgrading 1 or both of those Express units to the new Extreme AC model? Would the Time Capsule to Extreme AC offer higher throughput?

The reason for this question is that I just purchased a TiVo setup and am experiencing some intermittent connectivity issues. Currently I have 2 TiVos connected to 1 of the Express routers via a switch. So the TiVos are not running wirelessly per se.

I know I can add a MoCA network to run the TiVos, but would rather accomplish via the AirPorts as I have other uses for the AirPorts anyhow.

Thank you in advance.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
A better solution might be finding a way put all your stationary devices on wired Ethernet. Are your two airports connected wirelessly?

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
A better solution might be finding a way put all your stationary devices on wired Ethernet. Are your two airports connected wirelessly?

Everything is connected wirelessly with a couple of exceptions:

1) iMac and VOIP phone are hardwired to Time Capsule
2) 2 AV receivers and 2 TiVos are hardwired from 1 of the AirPort Express units through a switch

I know the best method is to hardwire everything. That is just not practical as the setup is over 3 floors, I have a finished basement, etc.

The 3 real alternatives are:
1) Setting up the MoCA network
2) Moving the Time Capsule and cable modem to the basement and having that be the central point (I could hardwire the TiVos from that point)
3) Upgrading the AirPort Express to an AirPort Extreme (AC version) if that would have positive impact

Thanks again!

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Wireless bridging will cut your WiFi speed by more than 50%. You could try good quality Power over Ethernet adapters to tie some of the gear together. Getting as much off the wired network will certainly help.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Wireless bridging will cut your WiFi speed by more than 50%. You could try good quality Power over Ethernet adapters to tie some of the gear together. Getting as much off the wired network will certainly help.

Thinking just setting up the MoCA NW might be the solution and call it a day. My WiFi is working great throughout my home with many devices, streaming, etc. always well handled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.