Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

washo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
Colchester, UK
Hi,

I have 2 MacBook Air's (2012 and 2013) that both need simple dual screen setups (2x 17" monitor with VGA and DVI ports).

Can anyone suggest a dual screen setup that will definitely work (as cheap as possible!). Reading some links in the forum I am now totally confused as to what will work. Apologies for probably repeating what has already been asked but new to Macs.

1 screen connected via Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
2 screen to use?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Since you already have two 17" displays with VGA and DVI input, all you need are two MDP to DVI adapters from Apple or MonoPrice.

Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DP.png
MDP adapters and cables can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"

Once you have them, you connect the small end to the Thunderbolt port of your Mac and use the DVI part of the adapter to connect the DVI cables you hopefully have (if not, buy two) to that part.

The following guide might be for TVs, but can be applied for displays too.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Only issue with that is the MBA only has one thunderbolt port. ;)

The only two ways I can think of around it would be the Matrox DualHead2Go or running one display off the Thunderbolt port, the second using a USB DisplayLink adaptor (which have pretty shockingly bad drivers and performance).

washo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
Colchester, UK
That will drive two monitors, but they are treated as one big desktop. Might work for some purposes but not really the same as two separate screens.

I am only used to a Windows dual screen setup with multiple screens extended. Is this the same thing?

Also, is this fine for both the 2012 and 2013 MacBook Air's?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
If you used two 1920x1080 monitors, then that card would treat them like one big 3840x1080 monitor and the menu bar would span across both screens. So you could drag windows to either monitor, but it wouldn't work with a program like Final Cut Pro that wants one screen for the canvas and the other for the timeline for example.

Another option is to get an Apple TV and use Airplay, which will allow you to use it as an external monitor. You would want to use gigabit ethernet to connect the Apple TV for the best performance. There will still be a bit of a lag (latency) though. However, it may not be any worse than the USB monitor adapters. A refurb AppleTV is only $75 though.

Sorry, never used multiple monitors on Windows. But really, the bottom line is that that MBA is not a very good choice if you want more than one external screen.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Sorry, never used multiple monitors on Windows. But really, the bottom line is that that MBA is not a very good choice if you want more than one external screen.

The approved way is to buy a pair of Thunderbolt displays. That doesn't come cheap though, considering each one costs as much as the MacBook Air.

Recycling a pair of old 17" TFT's most likely wouldn't have crossed Apples mind.

washo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
Colchester, UK
Just as an update to anyone else in the same boat...

I have installed the Matrox DualHead2Go Digital ME box on 3 MacBook Air's now and all work very well. A good workaround.

Points to note:
Screen res is reduced but this is normal.
Some windows open across the 2 screens but again is normal and can be simply resized by dragging.
The Mac becomes a 3rd screen (which I did not realise at the time).
Good software lets you stipulate if you want Mac or external screens as primary for toolbar etc.

One thing I could not work out was how to configure things so if the MacBook Air lid was closed, the 2 external screens stay on (needed to save space).

I am sure this is simple so if anyone has any experience, I would be grateful to know how this is achieved.

Thanks

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
It's called Clamshell mode. You need AC power and an external keyboard and mouse connected. Just shut the lid and the Mac goes to sleep. Press a key on the external keyboard and the Mac should wake up using only the external display.

Apple blurb here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

Last edited:

washo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
Colchester, UK
Thanks MagicBoy, I was just adding an update.
Discovered that they were not using plugged in power, which is needed obviously to keep monitors going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.