Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following in the footsteps of China Mobile, Chinese carrier China Telecom has also begun taking preorders for the iPhone 6 ahead of the device's official launch in order to drum up interest with customers. As noted by TechCrunch, the site has a preorder page that sports rendered images of the iPhone 6, along with several suspect specifics about the device that have undoubtedly come from unconfirmed rumors.

The preorder page depicts the 4.7-inch iPhone, which China Telecom suggests has a pixel density of 416, which would be in line with a 1704 x 960 resolution. While that resolution has been rumored for the iPhone 6, recent images of a supposedly functional device have leaned towards a 1334 x 750 resolution with a 326 ppi first proposed by Apple pundit John Gruber.

chinatelecomiphone6.jpg
An A8 processor and a Touch ID fingerprint sensor are highlighted in the image, which are two likely inclusions for the iPhone 6, but the image also points towards a 2,100 mAh battery. While that capacity has been rumored, there have also been several photos of an 1,810 mAh battery bearing an Apple logo and regulatory text. Finally, China Telecom's image suggest a 3-megapixel front-facing camera, another unsubstantiated rumor.

According to TechCrunch, the graphic originally included a non-blurred version of the word "iPhone", but it was later updated by China Telecom, likely at Apple's request.

Earlier this week, China Mobile began accepting preorders for the iPhone 6 and garnered more than 33,000 orders in just hours, pointing towards strong interest in the iPhone 6. Analyst predictions have suggested the iPhone 6 launch could bring a in more upgraders and Android switchers than normal, due to its larger display and redesigned body.

Apple is expected to introduce the iPhone 6 at a September 9 media event, which is now just under four days away. Rumors and part leaks have suggested the device will have an A8 processor, NFC support, and an upgraded camera. It's expected in two sizes -- 4.7 and 5.5 inches -- but it is unknown if both versions of the phone will ship to consumers at the same time due to production difficulties with the larger model.

Article Link: China Telecom Launches Preorder Page With Fictional iPhone 6 Claims, Rendered Images

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I’d like to know how you can post specs and accept pre orders. They might be difefrent come launch day.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Amazing they can sell something that doesn't exist. And sell 33K of this unicornware none the less.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
does that floating screen piece translate into something about sapphire? for me this is the biggest aspect of interest in this new phone, yes or no will it or any of it's siblings have a sapphire screen?

oldwren

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
does that floating screen piece translate into something about sapphire? for me this is the biggest aspect of interest in this new phone, yes or no will it or any of it's siblings have a sapphire screen?

It's a new projector feature. You'll be able to see things mid-air. That's actually why they're calling it iPhone Air.

FertileKnave

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012

Looks more like it's showing that the screen is 416ppi. As you can see with the floating circle above the touch Id it says above it 'Touch Id' and above the floating screen it says '416ppi'

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I’d like to know how you can post specs and accept pre orders. They might be difefrent come launch day.

they are doing the same on T-Mobile in Germany. They dont mention what phone it is but you basically get on the "list" of reserved tickets and get it before everyone else whenever its released

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I had my hopes up for the higher res but when they said the battery specs it made me feel like they are just throwing hopes/guesses.

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
I for one will be well happy if all that's true.. Maybe 2gb of ram also but battery sounds way better than before so let's hope.

MacFinnley

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2014
Munich, Germany
they are doing the same on T-Mobile in Germany. They dont mention what phone it is but you basically get on the "list" of reserved tickets and get it before everyone else whenever its released

But it is a huge difference to make a secret list for consumers or to publish a picture of the final(?) product. Maybe it will (!) look like this commercial? :eek:

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
Hmm. Are the specifications just assumptions, or does China Telecom have inside information?

----------

Mind you- as the site doesn't mention the 5.5" iPhone, theres more signs to point to it's delay. :(

gimikinc

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Bay Area
Knockoffs?

Are they taking pre-orders for knockoffs or received a batch from "grey" market sources already?!??!

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
Hmm. Are the specifications just assumptions, or does China Telecom have inside information?

----------

Mind you- as the site doesn't mention the 5.5" iPhone, theres more signs to point to it's delay. :(

They most likely have a unit to test on there network before selling. So I'm sure they are in the know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.