Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Hello

My iMac has developed a fault with the stand/hinge where it is unable to hold its own weight and just flops forward when trying to adjust the screen angle.

I've taken it to my closest Apple Store in the UK but having some issues, looking for some advice please:

18th August - loud noise heard from iMac and screen instantly falls forward. Use the live chat with Apple to diagnose and book Genius Bar Appointment

23rd August - Took the iMac to closest UK Apple Store. Took one look at it and agreed to repair but would have to order the correct part. Left iMac with the shop

27th August - Apple Store calls me to explain the 2 parts they ordered have not solved the issue and an additional part has been ordered and would be delivered in a couple of days.

1st September - I call the Apple Store to chase and told that the part is on order and as they don't receive deliveries on a Sunday or Monday, they expect the part to be delivered tomorrow.

2nd September - Apple Store calls me to say that the part is still on order and they have no estimated date of when it will be delivered. Their system just says "on order". They have contacted all other local Apple Stores and found a store with the part in stock. That store has agreed to send the part to them and will be delivered tomorrow.

3rd September - Apple Store calls me and says that the other store is unable to send them the part as they don't have this function available in their stock control. The original part is still on order, although they still have no estimate of when it will be delivered or even if, and they now want me to come and collect the iMac from them until the part is in stock.

Now I realise that the fault is only with the stand and the actual system is working fine, but its a real pain as the angle effects viewing the screen correctly. I feel i've been constantly lied to about when the part will be delivered and if they have no idea when it will be delivered how can they ever fix it?

The iMac is covered under AppleCare until April 2016

Am I within my right to request a replacement iMac, or do i have no other option than to wait?

Thanks in advance for any help provided

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't know UK consumer law, but a delay in getting the proper parts is not justification for getting a new machine imo. Its been less then 2 weeks since you initially took it in and they're working at getting the parts to fix the computer.

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
OK thanks, I wasn't sure what I should be doing really.

I will just pickup the iMac and wait for them to call, but how long is too long?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
28 days from the date of the iMac was inspected in the store is deemed reasonable by uk consumer law.

however as a side note there are other options available to you like sending the iMac to applecare for service so keep that in mind. also the whole back and stand is available as one part so if it takes to long call apple care and explain ;)

JohnPi314

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2014
California
Hello

My iMac has developed a fault

2nd September - Apple Store calls me to say that the part is still on order and they have no estimated date of when it will be delivered. Their system just says "on order". They have contacted all other local Apple Stores and found a store with the part in stock. That store has agreed to send the part to them and will be delivered tomorrow.

Now I realise that the fault is only with the stand and the actual system is working fine, but its a real pain as the angle effects viewing the screen correctly. I feel i've been constantly lied to about when the part will be delivered and if they have no idea when it will be delivered how can they ever fix it?

The iMac is covered under AppleCare until April 2016

Am I within my right to request a replacement iMac, or do i have no other option than to wait?

Thanks in advance for any help provided

Yes you are. I would tell them politely but firmly that you want a refurbished iMac; that way you will not be w/o a computer. They can have the iMac that you brought in until the part comes in, fix it, and then send it off to HQ for refurbishment. They should also be able to transfer your files from one mac to the other for free.

I can't believe they can't send a part from store-to-store; nor do I believe any of there excuses. This is just ridiculous - and if it were happening to me I'd be a bit peeved and wouldn't take it lightly!:mad:

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
I don't really want to pickup the iMac, as out of sight out of mind.

Tempted to just call Applecare and see what they suggest, but I can't believe that their systems don't allow part transfer between stores or that they can't see a more estimated delivery date

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Called Applecare, spent 20 minutes on hold while they investigated, and ended up getting through to a senior support adviser.

He has given me his direct contact details and taken full ownership of the issue, and is now contacting the store directly and a decision will be made in the next 30 minutes to get the issue resolved.

I will update you shortly :)

JohnPi314

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2014
California
Called Applecare, spent 20 minutes on hold while they investigated, and ended up getting through to a senior support adviser.

He has given me his direct contact details and taken full ownership of the issue, and is now contacting the store directly and a decision will be made in the next 30 minutes to get the issue resolved.

I will update you shortly :)

Finally some action! Good luck!

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Sorry for the update delay.

The senior adviser did indeed come back to me within 30 minutes, and low and behold they were magically able to find the spare part to fix the unit.

He promised that the store would call me directly within the next hour, which they did. The part is due to be delivered to the store today, and should be ready to collect this evening.

The senior adviser also said they would give me a gesture of good will, although the store said this would only be shipping the iMac back to me.

Thanks again for the help and advice, its amazing what can be done when you speak to the right person. I'll update you again once I have the iMac back

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Sorry for the update delay.

The senior adviser did indeed come back to me within 30 minutes, and low and behold they were magically able to find the spare part to fix the unit.

He promised that the store would call me directly within the next hour, which they did. The part is due to be delivered to the store today, and should be ready to collect this evening.

The senior adviser also said they would give me a gesture of good will, although the store said this would only be shipping the iMac back to me.

Thanks again for the help and advice, its amazing what can be done when you speak to the right person. I'll update you again once I have the iMac back

That's great news. Keep us posted on how the repair work went.

I agree, the senior support folks on the phone really get things done - they were much help when dealing with a screen replacement on my 2013 iMac (First unit had dust and debris laminated between the panel and the glass, which was swapped out within 14 day return policy. The second unit - now current unit - months later developed dark wind swept patterns in the left and right bottom corners, screen was replaced at the Genius Bar. Week or two later what appeared to be a finger print laminated between the glass and the panel was discovered. This is when I called in for help as I lost faith in the Genius Bar. So far so good - next screen issue I may lose my mind!)

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
28 days from the date of the iMac was inspected in the store is deemed reasonable by uk consumer law.

This is interesting, I didn't know that. Normally these things are deliberately left open so courts can take all factors into account. Do you have a source for this information?

Thanks.

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Just another update for you:

The part was indeed delivered to the store yesterday morning, but for some reason they don't do repairs during the day! I was told it would be ready the next day, today.

Called up this afternoon to chase for an update (14:00 UK time) and have been told due to staff sickness it wasn't done last night but will be done tonight...

Getting frustrated now

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
28 days is a standard 'what's deamed as acceptable' by courts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.