Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
My iPod is slowly becoming redundant. And when it isn't, it's trying to replace my iPhone.

I have an iPhone 4S and an iPod Touch 5th Gen.

I find it very frustrating when my iPod is trying to replace my phone. Yes, I've fallen in love with the larger screen. And I know there is no cellular connectivity but yeah.

I end up using my iPod more than my iPhone, which weirdly makes me sad. I don't know what to do with the iPod. I just want to put it away but it's got more space than my phone. And I can't spend any money on a new phone, until October at the earliest.

It really drives me mad. I'm always using the iPod so I'm getting missed messages on my phone which drives me crazy. I tell people I'm going to sleep but it's only because I want to watch something on my iPod.

What should I do with my iPod?! Please someone reply, it's really frustrating :C

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iOS 8 will be here soon. When it's released, you can use the iPod Touch as your phone with Continuity. :)

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
iOS 8 will be here soon. When it's released, you can use the iPod Touch as your phone with Continuity. :)

This basically. And i do the same. Use my phone mostly for core apps. iPod for music/workouts and some gaming.

iPad for console-like games and productivity/paper replacement. My MBP is for more intense stuff like Adobe CS6/more complicated office stuff. Every devices has its own purpose for me

Cant wait for iOS8 to bring all these together

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014

But to give up my kailbreak for that? They must have better features in the GM version. Thank you all that's helped, I appreciate it. Anyone have anymore ideas?

BobbyCat

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Beyond
I understand your dilemma, because I have a similar one.
Can't afford an iPhone 5 or the upcoming iPhone 6, and I need at least 64GB for my music. So I end up carrying an android cell phone in one pocket, with the 64 GB Touch in another one, and sometimes also my 150 GB Classic on my belt! :eek:

A possible solution for you : wait til the iPhone 6 comes out in 9 days, then buy the largest available iPhone 5 (S or C). I expect they will be a little cheaper. :D

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
A possible solution for you : wait til the iPhone 6 comes out in 9 days, then buy the largest available iPhone 5 (S or C). I expect they will be a little cheaper. :D

You could do this if you want to stay in the iOS ecosystem.
Unless you want to go over to android...

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I never miss messages because Google Voice has been my phone number for years and years and years. Google Voice is cross platform on just about everything - except maybe WindowsPhone - there's some kind of weird political thing going on between them right now. Sheesh you'd think with as much money all of the execs at all the top corps make they wouldn't have to keep behaving like kindergarteners.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I turn my iPhone off when traveling, and use the Touch. Saves the battery on the iPhone for when I get out of the aluminum tube... I figure I'll always have an iPod. It's just to usable to toss, and I used it while running to, but can't find a decent water/sweat proof case for it.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Just wait for iOS 8 and at home, your iPod will become your phone. Just without an earpiece for phone calls. But in that case, just use headphones ^^

And don't worry, the iPod will be able to use your phone as a relay like the iPad and Mac, I have seen screenshots of it working, green message bubbles, call option for contacts, "Use iPhone for cellular calls" setting under FaceTime, everything, so nothing to worry about. No reason it wouldn't be included either, in my honest opinion. Just wait a bit for iOS 8 and you will be good to go!

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Thank you everyone for all your help. I now use my ipod for movies and sometimes connect it to my laptop to see them on a bigger screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.