Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schwine1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
What is the best software for scanners?
My scanner is the Canoscan 4400F with Mavericks OSX 10.9.1

I have tried and had problems with Mac's Image Capture, as well as VueScan and Exact Scan Pro.

Thanks for any suggestions on the best software for scanners.

JackRoch

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
What is the best software for scanners?
My scanner is the Canoscan 4400F with Mavericks OSX 10.9.1

I have tried and had problems with Mac's Image Capture, as well as VueScan and Exact Scan Pro.

Thanks for any suggestions on the best software for scanners.

Have you tried Silverfast? http://www.silverfast.com/

Claims to support Canoscan at least!

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I don't use any "software" per say… I was able to download the driver (automatically) for my printer and just use the Scan and Print (or the app it downloaded automatically). Works wonders.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
If you are looking to scan in very high resolutions....Adobe's scanning software is great, but it was bundled with my Epson SX535WD so not too sure how mach it would cost.

I've alway found preview to be perfectly adequate for my needs though.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
My question as well, why not use the software that comes with the canon? I have two canon scanners both using the software that comes with them it works fine.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
I don't use any "software" per say… I was able to download the driver (automatically) for my printer and just use the Scan and Print (or the app it downloaded automatically). Works wonders.

I do the same thing and it works great. Click print and Scan in the system preferences. The select the printer. Double click on it. The click the scan button on the top right of the pop up window.

schwine1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Thanks for the tips and suggestions.
Here is my experience with my Canoscan scanner and Image Capture.

When I open Image Capture, a window opens that says "No camera or scanner connected. Devices 0, Shared 0."
I tried re-installing the Canoscan driver for Mavericks OSX, re-starting the computer, and the results are the same.
Also, when I access the scanner via system preferences > printers and scanners > open scanner > scan button: open image capture, a greyed out screen appears with no information.

Thanks again for any further troubleshooting tips.

Last edited:

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
Check USB port or cable?

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.
Here is my experience with my Canoscan scanner and Image Capture.

When I open Image Capture, a window opens that says "No camera or scanner connected. Devices 0, Shared 0."
I tried re-installing the Canoscan driver for Mavericks OSX, re-starting the computer, and the results are the same.
Also, when I access the scanner via system preferences > printers and scanners > open scanner > scan button: open image capture, a greyed out screen appears with no information.

Thanks again for any further troubleshooting tips.

Assuming this is a USB printer, is it connected directly to your Mac? That is, not on a port expander or hub?

My scanner was quite intermittent with VueScan software, and tried various hubs (both powered and not). Once I connected directly to a port on the back of my iMac, all problems went away.

Hope this helps . . .

schwine1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Assuming this is a USB printer, is it connected directly to your Mac? That is, not on a port expander or hub?

Yes, the scanner is directly connected to the back of the computer. I changed USB computer inputs from one to another to see if that made any difference, it didn't.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Based on my experience with Canon scanners...

Yes, the scanner is directly connected to the back of the computer. I changed USB computer inputs from one to another to see if that made any difference, it didn't.

Try reinstalling the latest drivers from Canon. If your Mac still doesn't recognize your scanner when you plug it in, I'd have to guess your printer is defective. I've never had any trouble with my Mac recognizing my Canon when plugged in. FWIW, I use Preview with my Canon instead of their scan software. You just use File->Import from scanner

Last edited:

JackRoch

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010

Can you see it in the 'about this Mac' + 'more info…' window? (I'm still on SL but I assume that's the same in Mavericks)
If not, then it might point to a hardware issue rather than software; even a dodgy USB cable – that happened to me and it was the last thing I thought to check!

schwine1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Can you see it in the 'about this Mac' + 'more info…' window? (I'm still on SL but I assume that's the same in Mavericks)
If not, then it might point to a hardware issue rather than software; even a dodgy USB cable – that happened to me and it was the last thing I thought to check!

Yes, the scanner is acknowledged in the "about this mac > more info" window, and the usb cable is about 20 feet long.

schwine1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Try reinstalling the latest drivers from Canon. If your Mac still doesn't recognize your scanner when you plug it in, I'd have to guess your printer is defective. I've never had any trouble with my Mac recognizing my Canon when plugged in. FWIW, I use Preview with my Canon instead of their scan software. You just use File->Import from scanner

I've reinstalled the scanner drivers a few times now, but no change in the outcome. Namely, Image Capture doesn't recognize the scanner. I may look into getting a newer scanner.

Maxxol

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2014
I switched to ExactSCAN Pro

It gave me the best looking PDF, with OCR and much smaller file size. ExactSCAN Pro is great for getting away with lots of paper for archiving and according to the devs it supports some hundreds of scanners, ...

What did not work for you? Maybe ask the developer, when I once had a question they where quick to respond!

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes, the scanner is acknowledged in the "about this mac > more info" window, and the usb cable is about 20 feet long.

Just for the hell of it... try a shorter USB cable. The USB spec is 5m.

I've reinstalled the scanner drivers a few times now, but no change in the outcome. Namely, Image Capture doesn't recognize the scanner. I may look into getting a newer scanner.

Get the Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500. You will be amazed. The gold standard of scanners.

/Jim

marbacha

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Check USB port or cable?
connected directly to a port on the back of my iMac, all problems went away.

Hope this helps . . .

From what you said above on, this could mean that the power (ampere) drawn by the Canon scanner exceeded that available from the USB port.

Not all USB ports on the Mac supplies the same power. Earlier Macs lags in upping the power supply to USB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.