Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Greetings Mac Rumors!

I am about to attend my first week of university and im having second thoughts about the machine i own and wanted to push through school...

Since new in late 2007 i have owned a white 2007, macbook 3,1. I have loved the machine. Its been a charm and has never ever failed on me. I have sunk some cash into it and now im debating if that was a good call of not. I posted here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1765582/
About a massive upgrade i did.

What im hurting about is for class i made a purchase of an authentic apple battery for the laptop which cost me $129.99 plus taxes. I also had the machine upgraded with a SSd which cost me another $120 plus taxes. However the SSD i can use in another machine..

Its just im debating on trying hard to push the machine through the next 4 years of my University life. But each time i do anything involving video the CPU fans spin up to 6200rpm and the battery drains. I had the CPU and GPU regouped but it still seems to struggle. Its perfect for my word documents and internet, but anything flash related it has a hard time.

Running the 2007 White macbook 3,1 Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2ghz, 4gb DDr2 RAM, 240 gb Kingston SSD, intel X3100 graphics card..

So i want to know! How reliable is using ML post factor and having mountain lion on the system and is it worth keeping the battery in it? Or returning the battery and investing for a new 13' macbook pro.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I would keep it and see how it goes. It should be fine for normal usage like web browsing, email, word processing, and research.. If you are taking graphic design classes or anything that requires more intensive applications and you find that it simply cannot handle it, then you can replace it. I wouldn't worry about the heat and fan speed when watching videos. Flash videos cause heat and drain batteries in any computer, new MBPs included.

There's no point in rushing out and buying a new laptop when your current one may be sufficient, especially for a student when money is tight.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Yes money is really tight. That's why im debating on this new battery i purchased. And yes im only using word, exel and powerpoint. My old batterys health is at 49% and the new ones 100. What about the ML post factor? anyone have any reviews on how reliable it was to run? Im using SNow Leopard but would like imessage and face time. let me know

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Yes money is really tight. That's why im debating on this new battery i purchased. And yes im only using word, exel and powerpoint. My old batterys health is at 49% and the new ones 100. What about the ML post factor? anyone have any reviews on how reliable it was to run? Im using SNow Leopard but would like imessage and face time. let me know

I think it is cheaper to keep the new battery. Returning it leaves you with a laptop that may not have the battery life necessary to use it comfortably on campus. In my experience, I often have to go long periods without charging my laptop because there are never enough outlets to go around at a modern univeristy where everyone has to charge something. That means you'll end up with $130 in your pocket, but a computer that may not do what you need it to do. If your plan is to replace it with a new one or a refurb, then you're going to end up spending an additional $700-$900.

On the other hand, keeping it and using your current laptop may rule out the need for a new one entirely if all you need it for is office stuff and web browsing. I think this would be the better option as you can see how it goes before spending nearly $1K or more.

I can't help you with OS X, but I'm sure somebody will be along who can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.