Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
I am nothing but delighted with this monitor. Easily the best I've used in years, and the anti-glare coating is superb.

Here are some photos of the monitor with direct sunlight from a large 1m x1.5m windows on it. Including a photo at 1am in the dark on a black screen to show any backlight bleed.

Album
http://imgur.com/a/CNK6u

Looks the goods! Your IPS glow looks completely normal and probably less than my Apple displays have. Nice one. Mine's on order and I can't wait to get her!

Scottie

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Good news. It is on Massdrop right now. It is like 879$. Tax only in CA.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-34u...&utm_campaign=Product Announcement 2014-07-25

I'm not entirely clear how Massdrop works. You say $879 but the website says $899. I'm guessing it's $879 only if 100+ people buy it? (Even at $899 for 50 people, it's still a good price.)

But it also sounds like a bulk deal shipped direct from the mfr, so who do I return the item to if I'm unsatisfied? I'm disappointed there's no FAQ or anything on the site to explain how it all works.

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
I'm not entirely clear how Massdrop works. You say $879 but the website says $899. I'm guessing it's $879 only if 100+ people buy it? (Even at $899 for 50 people, it's still a good price.)

But it also sounds like a bulk deal shipped direct from the mfr, so who do I return the item to if I'm unsatisfied? I'm disappointed there's no FAQ or anything on the site to explain how it all works.
You are right about bulk buying.

Check this out.
https://www.massdrop.com/terms-of-service

WARRANTY

To determine if your item is eligible for a warranty return, review the paperwork that came with the merchandise or contact the manufacturer for specific details. In the event that the product purchased experiences defect or failure which otherwise would be covered by the product’s manufacturer warranty, please contact Massdrop via*support@massdrop.com*with a description of your problem along with your Massdrop Order ID.

Massdrop will request for the product to be sent back to a specified return address (which will be provided to you via email). Upon receipt of the defective product, Massdrop will make every effort possible to ensure your satisfaction by shipping you a replacement product. Massdrop will pay for all shipping costs related to warranty service. Massdrop also reserves the right to refund the purchase price as its exclusive warranty remedy.

sirneb

macrumors member
May 9, 2014
What is Massdrop's return policy?
Unfortunately we do not accept returns for the products that you purchase on our site. Since we sell products through our drops, we do not carry inventory and we can’t resell individual items that have been returned. Manufacturers do not allow us to return unsold or returned products. We run all of our drops for seven days so that people signing up for a drop have time to become knowledgeable about the product beforehand, and know what they’re getting. If you’re not sure, ask other people in the group and they’ll help you decide if the product’s right for you!

I think it's a great idea to buy those high end items, it's mostly worth the risk if I can get the bulk prices. You do lose the ability of ease of returns from a middleman which is mostly fine depending on the nature of the product.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Apparently there is a 34UM94 model coming in the next few weeks... Note the difference in model number from 95 to 94. Apparently the difference is a 3 year warranty, and a black stand instead of silver. And apparently the cause for the problematic light leak has come down to screws holding the display together being too tight or too loose, which they have ironed out.

Here in Australia we already get a 3 year warranty on the 95, and my 95 is still on order. I am waiting for my store to let me know about the 94, and whether it's coming to Aus soon.

Just thought I would give you all a heads up.

Scott

sirneb

macrumors member
May 9, 2014
Apparently there is a 34UM94 model coming in the next few weeks... Note the difference in model number from 95 to 94. Apparently the difference is a 3 year warranty, and a black stand instead of silver. And apparently the cause for the problematic light leak has come down to screws holding the display together being too tight or too loose, which they have ironed out.

Here in Australia we already get a 3 year warranty on the 95, and my 95 is still on order. I am waiting for my store to let me know about the 94, and whether it's coming to Aus soon.

Just thought I would give you all a heads up.

Scott

Thanks, this is definitely insightful to know.

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Omg, massdrop extends the time and change the price. I think this is the best price you can get 850$. No doubt it will reach 100 orders.

nydada4a.jpg

ffejjeff

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2014
Has anyone tried to drive another monitor via something like a TB -> HDMI cable from the LG34UM95? Does it require another TB device between the two monitors as the Apple TB Display does?

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Has anyone tried to drive another monitor via something like a TB -> HDMI cable from the LG34UM95? Does it require another TB device between the two monitors as the Apple TB Display does?

I've got a Mac Pro and a high end PC connected to this monitor, the PC via Thunderbolt 2.0 and the Mac Pro via HDMI. Unfortunately the Mac Pro can't come in via Displayport as that seems to be the same one use in the Thunderbolt.

It works great, except I can't figure out how (or if) I can do dual simultaneous use. The side by side mode - I forget the name - works but each computer thinks they still have the full resolution. If I pick a scaled down resolution neither have the correct one in the list. So any way I cut it, it's distorted.

entwerfen

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2014
Thunderbolt video no longer working

I bought my LG 34UM95 at micro center last friday. I have a OWC Thunderbay daisy-chained from the monitor. Today the monitor doesn't see a signal, but the Thunderbay volumes mount fine. The System Profile sees the monitor as a Thunderbolt device, but nothing as a monitor. The monitor reads "No Signal" and drops into energy saver mode. A restart and port swap doesn't do anything for me. Anyone see this?

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
I bought my LG 34UM95 at micro center last friday. I have a OWC Thunderbay daisy-chained from the monitor. Today the monitor doesn't see a signal, but the Thunderbay volumes mount fine. The System Profile sees the monitor as a Thunderbolt device, but nothing as a monitor. The monitor reads "No Signal" and drops into energy saver mode. A restart and port swap doesn't do anything for me. Anyone see this?
Did you try to separate thunderbolt bus?

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011

My heart sank when I heard news about this since I had just ordered my dual monitor setup. Then I tried using it side by side like how they have it set up. Wayyy too much head movement for me (side to side). I opted to just stack the two together and now I feel better about making the purchase and not holding out for the curved displays.

Attachments

• IMG-20140818-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20140818-WA0000.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 386
Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
My heart sank when I heard news about this since I had just ordered my dual monitor setup. Then I tried using it side by side like how they have it set up. Wayyy too much head movement for me (side to side). I opted to just stack the two together and now I feel better about making the purchase and not holding out for the curved displays.

I like what you’ve done there actually. A lot. But I only need the one monitor so unless AAPL come up with something very new and very shiny………..

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
I like what you’ve done there actually. A lot. But I only need the one monitor so unless AAPL come up with something very new and very shiny………..

If apple comes up with something very new and very shiny then it looks like I'll need to get a third mount for my setup!

recursor

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2014
spontaneous waking from sleep for a few seconds

Just received my 34UM95 a couple of days ago. Connected with Thunderbolt to my mid-2012 rMBP 15", which I'm using in clamshell mode. While it's a bummer that sound doesn't automatically switch to the external display's speakers and (moreso) that you can't control the volume from the Mac... Everything pretty much works fine within the limitations of this display (hopefully they'll get the sound output/volume issues resolved with a firmware update...note holding my breath).

My rMBP detects the display properly, without any hacks or tweaks, etc. Just shows up as a 34UM95 in the Display control, with correct resolution already set (Best for Display, 60Hz). I was worried about that as some users had stated the display was detected as a TV or had to apply a manual hack/config somewhere.

With that said: I do notice one annoying issue. I leave my display turned on and just let my rMBP go to sleep on its own, or put it to sleep. The LG goes to sleep and the power light blinks. Every once in a while (I think it's maybe once or twice per hour) the display comes to life with a "No signal. Entering power saving mode shortly" message...stays on for a couple of seconds then goes back to sleep. My desk is near my TV so I can see this happening while I'm watching TV. I assume it continues to do this (through the night, day, etc.) until I sit down and start using it again.

I haven't seen any reports of this bug. But then, I assume most folks are either 1) turning their displays off, 2) not hanging around their computers while they're sleeping, or 3) unplugging their Macbooks when done.

I don't recall my Apple Thunderbolt display (with the same rMBP) ever doing this. I thought I'd check in here. Maybe it is happening to other people too?

One theory I have is that it might be PowerNap mode sending a signal out across Thunderbolt...looking for peripherals or a network connection maybe?

---
EDIT: Rats! Should have posted this in the MBP forum, although the bug probably applies to all Macs. Other thread is here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19581829#post19581829

Last edited:

ILikeEik

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2015
Use with Blu Ray DVD

Hey everyone,

I got this monitor a couple days ago. Really interesting form factor, so far I;m really enjoying it.

BUT, a main thing I was hoping to use this for was 2.35 blu ray and DVD playback at full screen. It appears that both applications, apples DVD Player, and Mac Blu Ray Player, both read the image as being a 2.35 within a 16/9 form factor which leads to the image being letterboxes top and bottom AS WELL as being letter boxed on the sides as well. The relationship of black bars on top and bottom is the same as the sides, so its obvious that all it needs to do is zoom in to get the black bars to disappear and fit perfectly into the screens 2.35 form factor. But its not doing that, and other than physically zooming in which diminishes the quality, I can't figure out how to get around.

Same situation with the Mac Blu Ray Player, 16/9 movies are displayed correctly, taking full advantage of vertical space but black bars on sides, but 2.35 movies do not take advantage of the top and bottom or the sides.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this because it was a main appeal of mine for this monitor and so far I can't get that function to work.

Thanks!

eskmo3

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2008
Posting up to let you guys know its more then just a monitor sleeping issue.

I too have this issue since i bought the monitor in 2015. (2013 nMP + thunderbolt out to display port in)

Often times it was tough to get the monitor to wake up but even more so while working, almost everyday it would just go black. I would wait for a minute, move my mouse and it would come back. This did;t really bother me until last week.

I started working with my computer over a network. I realized its actually the mac that is going into sleep mode via the monitor. I was in the control room where my mac is and noticed for the first time (after repeatedly being disconnected from a network while doing file transfers) that the power button was pulsing its slow sleep mode.

All my settings tell my mac not to fall asleep.

I just got back from picking up the nMP from the genius bar, after two days of testing they said they can't find any hardware issues and suggested it might be a software thing. Solution in their eyes is to completely wipe and reinstall / drag files back over, NOT Time Machine. As a solution thats totally undoable as I'm in the middle of a number of projects.

I'll keep posting as i learn more.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Use with Blu Ray DVD

Hey everyone,

I got this monitor a couple days ago. Really interesting form factor, so far I;m really enjoying it.

BUT, a main thing I was hoping to use this for was 2.35 blu ray and DVD playback at full screen. It appears that both applications, apples DVD Player, and Mac Blu Ray Player, both read the image as being a 2.35 within a 16/9 form factor which leads to the image being letterboxes top and bottom AS WELL as being letter boxed on the sides as well. The relationship of black bars on top and bottom is the same as the sides, so its obvious that all it needs to do is zoom in to get the black bars to disappear and fit perfectly into the screens 2.35 form factor. But its not doing that, and other than physically zooming in which diminishes the quality, I can't figure out how to get around.

Same situation with the Mac Blu Ray Player, 16/9 movies are displayed correctly, taking full advantage of vertical space but black bars on sides, but 2.35 movies do not take advantage of the top and bottom or the sides.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this because it was a main appeal of mine for this monitor and so far I can't get that function to work.

Thanks!
You know what. For years this letter boxing thing has killed me. Why can’ we just get widescreen films on a widescreen monitor without the bars. Studios should be able to produce more than one option on each disc.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
BUT, a main thing I was hoping to use this for was 2.35 blu ray and DVD playback at full screen. It appears that both applications, apples DVD Player, and Mac Blu Ray Player, both read the image as being a 2.35 within a 16/9 form factor which leads to the image being letterboxes top and bottom AS WELL as being letter boxed on the sides as well.

You know what. For years this letter boxing thing has killed me. Why can’ we just get widescreen films on a widescreen monitor without the bars. Studios should be able to produce more than one option on each disc.

This is yet another example where DRM/licensing interferes with legitimate use.

Cinemascope widescreen is actually encoded onto the Blu-ray with the black bars included, so they are actually 16:9 frames. They expect you to have a 16:9 TV and nothing else. So the software players on our 21:9 monitors display the "16:9" frames with black bars on all four sides--the top and bottom as encoded right onto the disc, and the left and right because the "16:9" frames don't fit.

A simple method to get around this used to be PowerDVD on Windows, which allowed for a zoom function. This allowed you to very nearly fill the screen with Cinemascope content. But the BD association forced them to disable this feature, threatening to remove PowerDVD's BD license.

I know of only two ways around this:

(1) Rip your disc first, then either (A) watch the ripped file with a player like VLC that will zoom out the encoded black bars off the screen, or (B) crop out the black bars from the file with something like Handbrake, then watch it without any zoom function needed by any media player you like.

(2) Install AnyDVD HD onto Windows, use VLC to watch the disc directly (no ripping needed) using a media player like VLC that has the zoom function.

The first method has the advantage of being multi-platform. The second method is limited to Windows, but has the advantage of being able to watch any disc any time without ripping it first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.