Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
New issue popped up lately. When my MP goes to sleep the power button stays lit, everything else turns off (external drives, monitor, mouse) and it's completely unresponsive.

I held the power button down, it shuts down, but when I press it again it doesn't start up right away. Last time this happened I had to hold press/release/hold press a couple times before it started back up again.

I will note I have a USB3 card (the KTXXX 4 port) but even unplugging that didn't seem to stop the random sleep-freeze.

Any help appreciated.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I held the power button down, it shuts down, but when I press it again it doesn't start up right away. Last time this happened I had to hold press/release/hold press a couple times before it started back up again.

Looks like you may have the beginning of PSU problem. You should get an Apple Service Manual for your MP model, then start with minimum configuration tests. Depending on results, it should give you some clue what to do next. On the other hand, even electrically damaged HDD could produce weird startup issues.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Looks like you may have the beginning of PSU problem. You should get an Apple Service Manual for your MP model, then start with minimum configuration tests. Depending on results, it should give you some clue what to do next. On the other hand, even electrically damaged HDD could produce weird startup issues.

Thanks, I was afraid it's a PSU issue or worse the main board. We did have some nasty storms and power outages this year. I have my system split onto two UPS battery backups but who knows. My main hdd is a Samsung Pro SSD.

By doing minimum configuration tests do you mean by testing the output of the PSU?

Ironjer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
New issue popped up lately. When my MP goes to sleep the power button stays lit, everything else turns off (external drives, monitor, mouse) and it's completely unresponsive.

I will note I have a USB3 card (the KTXXX 4 port) but even unplugging that didn't seem to stop the random sleep-freeze.

Any help appreciated.

did you try the apple service diagnostic?

you need to download the 3s132

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
I think I finally figured it out.

When I installed Jettison to stop the disk unmounting dialogs with my USB 3 card it screwed with the timing on sleep/wake.

I literally uninstalled drivers, detached anything but my keyboard and reinstalled OSX but kept my files. The only thing I finally found that helped was using the terminal commands on this page which seems to have brought my mac back into a normal sleep/wake cycle.

http://www.wired.com/2013/10/mavericks-issues-and-fixes/

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Same thing happened to me ...

It was the power supply. Took it Apple Store four times. At first the "geniuses" denied that there was anything wrong. I documented the issue with video the second and third time as well as notes. The fourth time I asked to speak to a manager and surprise …. I was told that it was the power supply.

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I think I finally figured it out.

When I installed Jettison to stop the disk unmounting dialogs with my USB 3 card it screwed with the timing on sleep/wake.

I literally uninstalled drivers, detached anything but my keyboard and reinstalled OSX but kept my files. The only thing I finally found that helped was using the terminal commands on this page which seems to have brought my mac back into a normal sleep/wake cycle.

http://www.wired.com/2013/10/mavericks-issues-and-fixes/

I had similar experiences with my nMP. One was with sleep issues, like your case, another was the machine would instantly shutdown on wake from sleep. Seems like a hardware problem, but I found that I was using some VPN software which had a bug that exhausted the process space. Well the kernel freaked out and would immediately shut down with no notice.

I sometimes think that Apple must get a ton of support requests and returned hardware for pure software problems. But to be fair, both of these that I mentioned are due to faults in the Apple OS. First, they stupidly try to be smart about sleeping, unlike Windows which just forces a sleep. Second, the kernel stupidly panics and shuts down without any notice of why it panicked.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
I had similar experiences with my nMP. One was with sleep issues, like your case, another was the machine would instantly shutdown on wake from sleep. Seems like a hardware problem, but I found that I was using some VPN software which had a bug that exhausted the process space. Well the kernel freaked out and would immediately shut down with no notice.

I sometimes think that Apple must get a ton of support requests and returned hardware for pure software problems. But to be fair, both of these that I mentioned are due to faults in the Apple OS. First, they stupidly try to be smart about sleeping, unlike Windows which just forces a sleep. Second, the kernel stupidly panics and shuts down without any notice of why it panicked.

Yeah I completely agree it's on Apple as well because I never would have sought out a 3rd party app/hack if they would fix their device ejection code. (There are hundreds of threads across the web I found with the same issue since Mavericks hit).

I kept checking my logs and it was my Wacom tablet driver caused X sleep/wake requests so I uninstalled that. Then it said my Logitiech mouse driver was doing it and on and on. Finally I found that old article and I used all of the sudo commands and that seemed to reset whatever Jettison changed in order to stop the annoying "disk ejected improperly" dialogs.

If I decide to put my KT4004 card back in I'm just going to ignore the dialogs and go on with my life.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Spoke too soon.. just came home to a stuck system, had to hold the power/reboot cycle twice. Time for a total reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.