Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Awesome! Yeah I did PRAM and SMC reset earlier. How would I go about fixing the thermal paste or is that not fixable?

The whole Logic Board is removed, the old paste removed from the top of the CPU, and then you put on a good coat of new paste. Not a fun job but relatively easy if you have done it before. What is your CPU usage in Activity Monitor looking like? If the CPU just isn't up to par with what you are trying to do, then a new computer is in order.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Here is my activity monitor with just safari, preview and activity monitor open.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 5.42.06 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 5.42.06 PM.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 70

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Trackpad only works in the bottom left

I just updated the SSD firmware and actually wiped my computer/reinstalled Mavericks from a bootable drive. The computer is running a lot faster.

I don't know if you had a chance to look at my CPU usage, but if I want to make this computer last through another school year or longer what should I all order? I don't remember if I said this but I'm planning on installing windows so I can use Office 365 for Access. Other than that I just use safari, chrome, iTunes, and Microsoft office.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I just updated the SSD firmware and actually wiped my computer/reinstalled Mavericks from a bootable drive. The computer is running a lot faster.

I don't know if you had a chance to look at my CPU usage, but if I want to make this computer last through another school year or longer what should I all order? I don't remember if I said this but I'm planning on installing windows so I can use Office 365 for Access. Other than that I just use safari, chrome, iTunes, and Microsoft office.

The new firmwares for the Samsung SSDs are much faster indeed! The CPU is mainly taken by Safari, but unfortunately, changing browsers won't make much difference.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
The new firmwares for the Samsung SSDs are much faster indeed! The CPU is mainly taken by Safari, but unfortunately, changing browsers won't make much difference.

I've been watching the CPU usage when I'm doing typical tasks and transferring the data from my time capsule. The CPU seems fine but I'm getting 3.99gb of memory used when I only have 4gb. Would you upgrade to 6 or 8gb? Also, do you think it's worth ordering the stuff to fix my heat issue?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I've been watching the CPU usage when I'm doing typical tasks and transferring the data from my time capsule. The CPU seems fine but I'm getting 3.99gb of memory used when I only have 4gb. Would you upgrade to 6 or 8gb? Also, do you think it's worth ordering the stuff to fix my heat issue?

Is it still hot when on a hard surface and idling? What does the Memory Pressure look like? Mavericks and Yosemite like to use a ton of RAM but in reality it is a new technology that allows better use of the RAM.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 9.46.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 9.46.12 PM.png
    567.8 KB · Views: 90

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Is it still hot when on a hard surface and idling? What does the Memory Pressure look like? Mavericks and Yosemite like to use a ton of RAM but in reality it is a new technology that allows better use of the RAM.

When I'm doing a lot it seems to kick in but hasn't gotten really hot like it would before I dumped it. I'm sitting with it on my lap and it seems fine right now. I'll keep an eye on it though. Here is a screenshot of my Memory Pressure under light use:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 8.51.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 8.51.13 PM.png
    744.4 KB · Views: 85

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
When I'm doing a lot it seems to kick in but hasn't gotten really hot like it would before I dumped it. I'm sitting with it on my lap and it seems fine right now. I'll keep an eye on it though. Here is a screenshot of my Memory Pressure under light use:

What do you mean by "hasn't gotten really hot like it would before I dumped it"? The Memory Pressure looks okay but if you want more out of your machine then I would look at more RAM if you want to push it with photo editing or video work.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
What do you mean by "hasn't gotten really hot like it would before I dumped it"? The Memory Pressure looks okay but if you want more out of your machine then I would look at more RAM if you want to push it with photo editing or video work.

Before I wiped my hard drive the fan seemed to be running a lot and the bottom of the computer would get hot under normal use. Now it seems to be running cooler, but it could be that I'm not doing any strenuous activities.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Before I wiped my hard drive the fan seemed to be running a lot and the bottom of the computer would get hot under normal use. Now it seems to be running cooler, but it could be that I'm not doing any strenuous activities.

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro in for repair that needs new paste. You can tell by letting it idle and seeing if it burning hot where the CPU sits. That is by far the least scientific test but is a good indication especially when there is low CPU usage (no background processes). I am going to take it apart tomorrow and inspect it.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro in for repair that needs new paste. You can tell by letting it idle and seeing if it burning hot where the CPU sits. That is by far the least scientific test but is a good indication especially when there is low CPU usage (no background processes). I am going to take it apart tomorrow and inspect it.

Alright sweet I'll look into that after I get all my stuff transferred back on. If it were you would you upgrade the ram or not? Thanks for all your help!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Alright sweet I'll look into that after I get all my stuff transferred back on. If it were you would you upgrade the ram or not? Thanks for all your help!

Since you are a student only doing Office work, web browsing, some video streaming, and iTunes I would simply save the money and put it towards a new machine when you need one. If it starts peaking up into the yellow or red on Memory Pressure you will need more RAM!

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Since you are a student only doing Office work, web browsing, some video streaming, and iTunes I would simply save the money and put it towards a new machine when you need one. If it starts peaking up into the yellow or red on Memory Pressure you will need more RAM!

Fair enough. Thanks for all your help! I'll check out the thermal paste this week when I have some time.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
You want good paste like Artic Silver 5 or Ceramique 2.

Alright I'll look into those. Funny enough my trackpad is working fine now. I've been on my computer for a few hours today and it's working great. I wonder if it was a software issue?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Alright I'll look into those. Funny enough my trackpad is working fine now. I've been on my computer for a few hours today and it's working great. I wonder if it was a software issue?

If it occurred after the reinstall too it is just wonky hardware. If it hasn't occurred since the install it may have been a messed up preference file.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I hate to bring my old thread back, but my trackpad totally quit working now . Do you guys think I should buy a new one now or wait awhile? I'm not dumping any more money into my computer so I want a new one, but don't know if they plan to update the lineup yet this year or not. I saw the MB Pro got the specs upped late July, but keep reading a bunch of rumors. Any help would be much appreciated!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I hate to bring my old thread back, but my trackpad totally quit working now . Do you guys think I should buy a new one now or wait awhile? I'm not dumping any more money into my computer so I want a new one, but don't know if they plan to update the lineup yet this year or not. I saw the MB Pro got the specs upped late July, but keep reading a bunch of rumors. Any help would be much appreciated!

Well... I am expecting Q1 15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.