Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christo930

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
I have an Apple Emate 300, but I can't get it to connect to my old mac, which in turn won't connect to the internet. I have a newton, but the software and the emate said you couldn't use this version of the software. Does anyone know where I can find a CD iso image of the right version?

The emate is pretty short on power with it's 25mhz processor, but it has much more memory (an 8MB PCMCIA card and a Newer Tech internal expansion with additional flash and dram). Will I find that most Newton software isn't going to work with this emate? IIRC, the last Newton made was about 180mhz (IIRC). Also, all the information I can find says the Emate includes a spreadsheet and mine doesn't from what I can tell. It might be a teacher's version. Were there 2 different roms available? I have another emate that won't turn on and so I can always try swapping out the rom card (I think that's what it is)

Also, I'd like to change out the battery and simply build a 4 AA holder and just attach the red and white wires to the positive and negative terminals. I am assuming the white wires are for the heat module, but modern high capacity (2.5AH) cells will not get very hot in such a setup. If needed, I could simply just glue it to the bottom of the area in which the battery pack sits now. I already have standard AA rechargeable cells and don't want to have to buy new cells with solder tabs.

Will PKG files, once downloaded onto a PC no longer work? Must everything be in stuffit format to preserve to 2 forks?

I used to be a certified apple tech and used to get quarterly CDs with every piece of software apple ever made, but they are stored away some where and I have no idea where they are.

Any help you could be would be appreciated.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
How are you trying to sync the Newton to the Mac? Infrared, serial, or ethernet/wifi and to what version of Mac OS? My guess is you're using the old Newton Connection Kit which worked up until Newton OS 1.3 and doest work on any 2.0 or 2.1 devices like eMate and MP 2000/2100. What you need is Newton Connection Utility that will allow you to backup and sync your eMate over serial cable.

For spreadsheets your are looking for Newton Works which will allow you to create a document or spreadsheet. Little icon in the bottom left will let you choose to create a new one. My eMate had this built in without the need to install the Works excel add on.

christo930

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
How are you trying to sync the Newton to the Mac? Infrared, serial, or ethernet/wifi and to what version of Mac OS? My guess is you're using the old Newton Connection Kit which worked up until Newton OS 1.3 and doest work on any 2.0 or 2.1 devices like eMate and MP 2000/2100. What you need is Newton Connection Utility that will allow you to backup and sync your eMate over serial cable.

For spreadsheets your are looking for Newton Works which will allow you to create a document or spreadsheet. Little icon in the bottom left will let you choose to create a new one. My eMate had this built in without the need to install the Works excel add on.

Mine doesn't have that option for the spreadsheet, I think I have a teacher's addition? Also, I want to use it with an old G3 mac (serial), but that mac's ethernet isn't working, so I have to download stuff for it on the PC. Most of what I want to do with it won't involve the old mac file system, but getting the newton software on it will (because I have to download it to an NTFS partition on my PC). Can the files you linked be downloaded to a PC and then wrote to a cdrom or diskette and survive that journey?
Also, when I went to that website before, if you go to the front page and go to connection, apple, you find you need software they don't house. I have the newton software on this mac, but it gives an error (on the mac and the Newton, so I know they are talking to each other) that this version doesn't work with this newton. I can't find the emate nos 2.0 anywhere.
Here's what I am talking about
http://www.unna.org/unnasearch/entry.php?pkey=507

Thanks.

Last edited:

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
It might survive the trip to the Mac, but you may need to repair the .pkg files before the eMate will accept the install. There are a few apps that will do that for you. When using UNNA, I found the best thing to do was download the torrent of the archive and keep it on your own HDD. Much easier than trying to rely on old links found on the site. As for the spreadsheet app, its called QuickFigure Works or QFworks. See if you can find it installed on the eMate. I thought it was a standard install for eMates, but I could be wrong. I did a hard reset on my eMate, and I don't recall having to reinstall QuickFigure Works afterward. It isn't it's own program, it is more of an add on for Works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.