Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
im glad to see the calculator finally tweaked to match the OS. its been long overdue IMO the previous one didnt match the old design for ages. Now, they must fix the chess game as well :)

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Still holding out hope they bring Cover Flow back! Any view options for that? One of the best visual aspects of the old iTunes, in my opinion, which is why I'm still using 10.7. :)

So many seem to hate it, but I loved it as well. I loved it on the iPhone, as well. I still have it on my iPod touch in my car, and I find myself listening to songs when I'm scrolling through the covers that I probably wouldn't have thought to listen to otherwise. Whatever the changed it to in iOS(the grid view) is horrible.

Simon.au

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
Australia
So many seem to hate it, but I loved it as well. I loved it on the iPhone, as well. I still have it on my iPod touch in my car, and I find myself listening to songs when I'm scrolling through the covers that I probably wouldn't have thought to listen to otherwise. Whatever the changed it to in iOS(the grid view) is horrible.

I liked the cover flow too. I'm glad it's still in the finder as an option. It would be great if Apple could include it as an option in iTunes as well.

celzo

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
where do i submit design changes and bug reports.. found some MAJOR flaws after just 10 min of use..

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Drop down box in the upper left corner:

The minute row of icons is useless compared to the ability to see everything at a glance in the sidebar, including all your iOS devices. The sidebar greatly reduces the amount of navigation required for common/simple tasks.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
as far as i know anyone could join apple seed programme it wasn't for selected few

You are mistaken, it is invitation only with no way to apply.

As someone else pointed out the last public OSX beta was 10.0.

where do i submit design changes and bug reports.. found some MAJOR flaws after just 10 min of use..

Depends if you're a developer or in Appleseed.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You do not want to use this update in a "normal" environment. It will drive you absolutely bonkers. WIFI issues have not been fixed in this build, nor has the attachments in email been brought back ( i.e if someone sends you a photo it will show a broken link and you need a 3rd party image viewer to view them externally ) This isnt just annoying issues like that.. its the issues where your wifi will just turn off and you need to reboot 100 times and worst case reinstall to get back. Lots of bugs being thrown down in the developer forums today.

I think apple intended this to be a public release when they made the roadmap a few months ago, but Yosemite is so far from public release with so many bugs that Apple did the right thing and waited till it was better. I expect to see a DP5 come out in a few weeks and see how it goes.

Bold: That's what your post is!

I have no Wifi issues, I can see all my attachments, I do not need to restart nor have kernel panics.
It's not perfect, some graphical UI glitches once in a while but it's a lot more stable than what you say or think it is.

Last edited:

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON

I have no Wifi issues, I can see all my attachments, I do not need to restart nor have kernel panics.
It's not perfect, some graphical UI glitches once in a while but it's a lot more stable than what you say or think it is.

Results will vary.. I ended up installing on a Macbook Pro 2009 w/ 8GB of RAM, and it is significantly slower than my Mavericks partition. Certainly some optimization still to do, but likely not a big surprise at this stage.

I can use it, but seems to be a bit of a grind on my older hardware. LONG boot time, and heavy CPU utilization.

Though Preview can now open RAW images with the last DP, Aperture 3.5.1 is still unusable with my RAW files on Yosemite. (Same photo library works fine with Mavericks)

Mail still won't stay open for more than a few seconds if I add an Exchange 2010 account. I don't know if that issue is really all that widespread, but for an account with less than a week's worth of mail on it, I would assume it isn't a problem processing a specific mail message, but some other incompatibility.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
DP4 does seem smoother to me. Someone said it might be because previous DP's probably had CPU-cycle-zapping tracking code in them. Maybe, maybe not, who knows. I thought in previous DP's that some of the animations were not good - the notification center, for example, and even the way drop downs in System Preferences seemed to just not be right. The animations seem much better now and those drop downs work properly.

I haven't run much software on DP4 yet and will probably wait for Public Beta status before I bother too much.

I still can't make my mind up about the transparency. I usually love that kind of design feature, but the main drop down menus with the transparent background which is a different look to the main menu bar just doesn't feel right to me. Perhaps it'll grow on me, if not I'll use the transparency reduction setting in Accessibility preferences which seems to do the trick nicely!

Whatever happens, I still won't upgrade my main system until it gets to 10.10.2 ;)

Yotsuba

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2010
Newport News, Virginia
iTunes is perfectly functional for me on my Windows 8.1 machine.

In fact iTunes has always been fine for me on Windows... I don't quite see why it gets such an insane amount of hate.

The last time I used iTunes on Windows 8.1, the store wouldn't work. I know for a fact that the store wasn't down because I could take out my MacBook Pro and access it immediately.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Results will vary.. I ended up installing on a Macbook Pro 2009 w/ 8GB of RAM, and it is significantly slower than my Mavericks partition. Certainly some optimization still to do, but likely not a big surprise at this stage.

I can use it, but seems to be a bit of a grind on my older hardware. LONG boot time, and heavy CPU utilization.

Though Preview can now open RAW images with the last DP, Aperture 3.5.1 is still unusable with my RAW files on Yosemite. (Same photo library works fine with Mavericks)

Mail still won't stay open for more than a few seconds if I add an Exchange 2010 account. I don't know if that issue is really all that widespread, but for an account with less than a week's worth of mail on it, I would assume it isn't a problem processing a specific mail message, but some other incompatibility.

I'm sorry to hear that. On my '07 iMac Mavericks was horridly slow compared to Snow Leopard but Yosemite DP1 was halfway in between. Except for DP3 each one has inched closer to Snow Leopard performance. Odd that DP4 would make a '09 mac slower and '07 mac faster but every machine is different. Hopefully the next DP will be faster for all PCs.

----------

Apart from color and the numeric labels themselves. Take a look at your physical keypad right now, does it have to have different shapes to let you know that it is a numeric keypad? Think about it.

Well, yeah. There is a long "0" and tall "enter". The "5" has a bar on it. They keys are spaced couple millimeters apart. The old calc was better but perhaps not "cool" enough. The new one is soooo much more "beats".

Firtenouygh

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014

We have 30 machines here, from legacy systems all the way up to the trash can mac pro and they all exhibit extreme wifi and mail issues, and we are not alone as indicated by the flood of posts in the apple developer community.

But this is what developer builds are for, for them to fix things which is totally fine, but to release to the public as it stands now is a horrible idea and I am shocked that Apple is doing it, specially since there is no roll-back after install.

I mean seriously, the last build 2 weeks ago when they first enabled dark mode they forgot to make the text white instead of black so you could actually read it. it was dark grey text on dark grey background.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Sorry, you are right. Can you enable RPN mode and post a screenshot?

Does copy/paste finally work with Calculator?

Sure, here you go:

GeoAHk0.png

I was able to copy and paste numbers to and from the calculator as well.

seclusion

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Just an FYI
As of Beta 4, my FW Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 doesn't load the drivers.
The OS doesnt see the mixer.
Did the Delta update.
Shows on the FW bus on About My Mac.
Universal opens, but does not sync.
The status page on the StudioLive shows, no driver loaded.
Cheers

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
must be my OCD, but how address book /contacts hasn't been updated with iOS icon, it's driving me mad for some reason!!

----------

They have never done a public beta of an OS before. Typically I would advise against using a beta OS, especially if you use more than the default Apple apps. Third party apps and pro apps usually do not get updated until the public release.

10.0? I paid £45 for the pleasure I believe, still got it lying around somewhere.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Repairing permissions fixed my inability to run Safari--once. It's now unusable. Any other ideas? I'm tired of Firefox (and other browsers).

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
You must be still using a non-Retina screen. On my Retina Macbook Pro the new iTunes looks absolutely gorgeous. Retina screens make text and photos look very good. Almost like a printed sheet of paper. The flat designs bring out this effect nicely. The older skeumorphic designs served to help hide the ugly pixelated text caused by the lower quality screens.

I bought the retina mbp on release, flat design gets boring real fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.