Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
The golden age of the larger tablet is nearing its end according to Intel’s Worldwide Client Benchmark Manager, Matt Dunford.

Speaking to TrustedReviews about Intel’s new processor, the Core M, he says:

“(larger)Tablets have been the fad for the last 3-4 years. People have got their tablet, it was fun but now they don’t use it. I don’t know if those tablet purchaser are going to keep taking money away from people refreshing their PC.”

The statement follows research Intel conducted which shows that almost 50% of consumers who purchased a hybrid notebook or laptop had first considered buying a tablet.

Indeed the growth in the tablet market has appeared to plateau since it exploded with the launch of the iPad in 2010 – a four year period in which the PC suffered serious decline. However recent figures show that the PC is resurging, buoyed, in particular, by new form-factors such as the detachable notebook.

Intel still heavily supports smaller tablets with its Atom range of processors and showed TrustedReviews a range of impressive Android and Windows 8 devices at IFA 2014.

With the Core M, though, Intel is keen to help manufacturers create PC tablets, hybrids and all-in-ones that challenge the high end Android and Apple tablets like the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 and the iPad Air in terms of screen quality, thinness and battery life. In addition it claims that these Windows hybrids can offer all the media consumption benefits of a tablet coupled with excellent content creation and productivity with a silent, fanless design – just like most tablets. In fact Intel claims that the Intel Core M is up to three times faster than the Qualcomm Snapdragon 805, the current go to chip for high end tablets.

“A big premium tablet is going to be thin and light and have a battery that is going to last a long time. You’re going to be able to do your consumption of media and maybe some basic productivity. But when you start looking at something that needs more performance where you’re really trying to make it do something the Intel Core M is going to be dramatically better.” explains Matt Dunford.
Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/intel-tablets-are-a-fad#TzfcTBoLgflplVJu.99

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/intel-tablets-are-a-fad

I am going have to disagree, Matt Dunford is wrong, I don't think tablets are a fad and i think tablets are the FUTURE of computing for personal use and business/productivity use and they are way more portable than laptops and getting way more powerful and there are lots of people have replaced there laptops with tablets and even in work places!

And tablets like the Ipad and the Android tablets will still be around for a very long time(10 years+) yet.

What are your thoughts? Do you think tablets are not a fad? Do you really think the new Intel's M Core chip will kill of tablets like the Ipad/Android tablets? for me i don't really think so.

I say phablets are a fad because it is too small to be a tablet and too big to be a phone, you will look stupid and not normal when you are holding your 5\6\7 inch phablet near/on your ear while making a phone call.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My opinion is that you really like creating these "are tablets a fad?" Threads... Here's one of yours from May

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1731034/

:rolleyes:

Yeah, he has a habit of regurgitating his same tired threads over and over and other than making a retarded and questionable spurious claim in opening thread, then often makes no further attempt and engaging in any discussion afterwards - only ignoring everyone who questions it....

Please people check posters history before engaging ....
https://forums.macrumors.com/search/?do=finduser&u=887021&starteronly=1

Last edited:

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Yeah, he has a habit of regurgitating his same tired threads over and over and other than making a retarded and questionable spurious claim in opening thread, then often makes no further attempt and engaging in any discussion afterwards - only ignoring everyone who questions it....

Please people check posters history before engaging ....
https://forums.macrumors.com/search/?do=finduser&u=887021&starteronly=1

A bit like yourself then! I only ask opinions, i don't have to engage in conversation and i do reply as you know and i am entitled to use this forum just like you - the difference being i don't make slanderous comments about other users.

You do not have to reply to my comments.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I don't agree that tablets are a fad either. Consumers are just not investing into them properly, and they don't think about whether they actually have a use for one. For the longest time I didn't use my iPad Mini until I got a keyboard if I'm honest. My dad tends to just sit at his computer instead most of the time too.

The Intel chips will be beneficial, but it's not going to magically fix the situation. Consumers don't need CAD, 3D modeling applications, and the other stuff that this stuff helps perform better. The engines they use for displaying webpages is what's going to make browsing better, and not some chip.

And while it will be the lead up to better gaming, the problem is that people have no desire to pay for these games. Well, some do, but not enough for companies to make a profit.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I don't agree that tablets are a fad either. Consumers are just not investing into them properly, and they don't think about whether they actually have a use for one. For the longest time I didn't use my iPad Mini until I got a keyboard if I'm honest. My dad tends to just sit at his computer instead most of the time too..

I was the same.. Buying a keyboard helped make it useful, but still nowhere near as convenient as a MacBook Air, for example.

I think the demise of tablets might come from ergonomics. Between arching the back, straining the neck to look down, and having to hold the device, on top of poor keyboard interaction, could be the biggest flaw.

We might start to see people having issues from these things. Personally, I would rather sit down and get a lot done quickly and comfortably at a desk with a 24" monitor at eye-level, mouse, and keyboard. Every task I can think of is quicker and easier that way.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I was the same.. Buying a keyboard helped make it useful, but still nowhere near as convenient as a MacBook Air, for example.

I think the demise of tablets might come from ergonomics. Between arching the back, straining the neck to look down, and having to hold the device, on top of poor keyboard interaction, could be the biggest flaw.

We might start to see people having issues from these things. Personally, I would rather sit down and get a lot done quickly and comfortably at a desk with a 24" monitor at eye-level, mouse, and keyboard. Every task I can think of is quicker and easier that way.

I don't do anything productive these days. The only thing I use my laptop for is updating the software on my kindle and ripping DVDs to put onto micro SD cards. I only use it about once a month or every two months. Therefore a tablet meets about 95% of my computing needs. It's a lot lighter than a laptop, and doesn't need to boot up.

I have a chromebook which I also like because it's fast and light and doesn't require a lot of maintenance.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I would assume he is referring to the mostly "consumption" side of tablets and that folks are moving more toward larger phones for use as "phones and consumption" and smaller laptops/hybrids for "productivity/consumption."

I, of course, am usually WAY ahead of the curve and have my 6" Lumia 1520 and Surface Pro 3....:p

laserfox

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
new york
I would assume he is referring to the mostly "consumption" side of tablets and that folks are moving more toward larger phones for use as "phones and consumption" and smaller laptops/hybrids for "productivity/consumption."

I, of course, am usually WAY ahead of the curve and have my 6" Lumia 1520 and Surface Pro 3....:p

Wow I have the same exact combination! Gave my cousin my 8 inch dell venue 8 when I got the 1520 and pr0 3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.