Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
As much as it would be nice for some people... I would tend to think that YEAR 2015 would be the end of 4" phones. Some things make a come back... lets see if there is enough demand for it :)

Haha, this makes me laugh. It's like saying 2015 should see the end of small cars!

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Reports from within Apple's Asian supply chain...

And DONE! That was a quick article!

Read: For only God knows why, Tim Cook told Johnny Zhang (any fictitious name will do) from Foxconn (any Chinese manufacturing/supply chain company will do), that the 5.5" iPhone would be released in December because said company couldn't produce units fast enough. Mr. Cook followed this up with "Shh! Don't tell anyone! Kbye!!"

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Apple will release a product as soon as they can put them on the market without compromising quality. If they could have done it in June, they would have. If they must wait until December, they will not be happy about it, but they will wait until after December. It's not like Apple leadership decides to let products rot in the warehouses, just because they can.

Lets just hope Apple takes the time to get it right.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Explain the iPad 3 then.

If you don't have enough units to do a proper launch, that is not quality. Apple has been burned in the past with this problem. The Mac Pro is an example. Execution starts with design and ends with customers having a quality product in their hands. Not being able to meet demand is not good execution or good customer relations.

Now, lets hope Apple learns, good product quality also equals offering a 17 inch laptop. :)

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Explain the iPad 3 then.

If you don't have enough units to do a proper launch, that is not quality. Apple has been burned in the past with this problem. The Mac Pro is an example. Execution starts with design and ends with customers having a quality product in their hands. Not being able to meet demand is not good execution or good customer relations.

Now, lets hope Apple learns, good product quality also equals offering a 17 inch laptop. :)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm really hoping that the 5.5 inch phone is at least announced with the 4.7 inch (assuming any of the rumors are true).

I'm happy holding out for the 5.5. I'm not happy holding out for something that might never come. Or that won't come until a great deal later. Remember the white iPhone 4?

----------

I honestly don't think apple worries them self (too much with product availability). Demand can be very difficult to gauge. These phones are going to massively sell out no matter how many they make. They will be in short supply. It will make the news. I wish I was this sure on tomorrow's lottery numbers.

joe1946

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
The bottom line is I will get a 5.5" or larger smartphone in January when my two year Verizon contract expires on January 13 2015 for my Verizon HTC Droid DNA with 5" 1080p display. Today the only Verizon smartphone I am interested in is the LG G3 with 5.5" Quad HD IPS (2560x1440) and 4K video.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/smartphone/lg-g3

If there is a 5.5" iPhone with 4K video I will get it but not the 4.7". I shoot 4K videos today with my Panasonic GH4 and have a 4K UHD TV.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Can YOU REALLY imagine Apple releasing TWO sizes of the same phone within a few months?
I sure can.and they will.but I believe they will announce them at the same time with the 5.5" one release day few months later.I also think that they will name and market the 5.5" differently.I don't think both versions will have the same iPhone 6 name.(similar to what Samsung is doing with Galaxy S and Galaxy Note)
Snap out of the daydream - 5.5" is imaginary.
It's not.:)

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
All this '5.5" coming later' talk is simply hilarious. Not being able to let go of one's self delusion is called denial. Can YOU REALLY imagine Apple releasing TWO sizes of the same phone within a few months?

Snap out of the daydream - 5.5" is imaginary.

Apple is not gonna loose 1/3 of the market for 5" or bigger phones.

Expect a 4.7, 5.5, and 4" "C" or 5s model.

----------

Explain the iPad 3 then.

Having an iPad 3 I can't understand why everyone thought it was such a bad release, the retina display put it way above par on any tablet in the market in 2012.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
Any new phones coming out that are 4 inches or less? #

Not that I can find from a quick google search :(

This really disappoints me. My girlfriend doesn't want a bigger phone either.

Looks like I will be sticking with my iPhone 5, I'm not going to hold a massive slab up against my face every time I get a call.

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
it'll be OK...

Not that I can find from a quick google search :(

This really disappoints me. My girlfriend doesn't want a bigger phone either.

Looks like I will be sticking with my iPhone 5, I'm not going to hold a massive slab up against my face every time I get a call.

I am not too keen on a super large phone either. My galaxy nexus is like 4.5" or so. My wife has a Samsung s4 which is bigger... My dad has the S5... I can be persuaded to go bigger by an exceptional camera with ois or sapphire.... Something to help me forget the bulky size. LoL. Even the S5 mini will be 4.5". Mini is big these days. Wait until you hold one... You may change your mind on size. Maybe the future of phone is more about face time than ear time.

CaseGuru

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2014
iPhone 6 Update

I’m sure iPhone 6′s bigger screen will be preferable over Android anyday. Look at this company selling a futuristic iPhone 6 Case with a Built-In USB plug ($25). Gotta see this freakin thing http://kck.st/1nnuy6O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.