Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It's kind of silly to be happy - or unhappy based on the news delivered by a corporation. Just saying. As you were.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Apple can't please everyone. While I'm not overly ecstatic about the news, I will be purchasing the 4.7" iPhone when the unlocked model is made available.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Where are the roads that I can take my Z06 to 180mph?

This is a false equivalency.

You can drive 180mph on pretty much any road that has little traffic (night time), minimal curves, and few traffic lights. The infrastructure already exists to drive that speed basically anywhere. Just because a lower speed limit is mandated by law doesn't mean you don't have the choice.

As far as 4K goes, many people do not have the choice to use it, even if there was a law that was in place that said you could only run 1080p on your electronic devices. The infrastructure to create and deliver 4K content is not prevalent at this time.

Use a better analogy next time.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
The market usually follows after the the hardware is available at a decent price. My pc does 4k fairly easily. It's not a mac and its not very cheap. 1080 is the lowest I go on anything anymore and wouldn't consider the smaller iPhone just because of it. If Apple released a phone with 4k then I would hope the ui would use over 1080 of it and developers would start producing apps and games that supported all of it. No reason to cheap out on the display when you can get devices with much better displays for this price range.

Now on to my complaint the camera sticking out the back... Beautiful front and would be a beautiful back except I have a bubble sticking out of it that looks like an afterthought.

I might have another complaint if it's not almost water proof (can drop it in the sink and fetch it without much risk of damage). It should just be expected that any device can take a quick dip without worries.

Last complaint that isn't really about the iPhone but I'm complaining so why not throw it in here. Give me parental controls like the kindle fire has. I want to be able to give my kids their ipads without it just being another thing I have to juggle to make sure they are not abusing.

Don't make excuses of why a company shouldn't produce things that could improve the experience and instead make excuses of why making products that are good enough for now are acceptable. Demand more from a company than just catching up to the entry level of high end.

Your needs are different than my needs are different than the next person's needs. None of what you said appeals to me. I don't need parental controls on the phone I'm buying for myself. Though I'm pretty sure Privacy and Restrictions accomplishes what you want. While waterproofing is great, it's not the must-have feature for me. So its exclusion is moot.

I'm sure the things I want in a phone most probably don't appeal to you.

I was speaking more to the exclusion of a standard that hasn't been defined or set, nor has the infrastructure been built to accommodate its needs. I think there are more pressing things to adjust like the current broadcast system content delivery, rather than 4K content creation and consumption. But that's me, I understand you are different.

----------

A downscale 4K video would look amazing on a 1080 screen.
The quality is reduced....BUT it still looks better than a typical 1080 video.
Test it out.

I work with video formats for a living, I am aware.

Stout Jackson

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
I'm disappointed.
You will be watching videos you make today, with 4k, years from now when we will all have 4k televisions.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Very happy here 128GB iP6+

Same here. I'm super happy.

1) The 5.5" is real
2) The 5.5" launches with the 4.7"
3) Pre-orders

Personally not that interested in a Apple Watch but it was really fun watching Apple release a new product again. Overall (despite the live stream problems) it was a great keynote!

:)

:apple:

murgo

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Germany
I'm not happy. The back looks ugly (IMO) and the protruding camera is ugly and will probably annoy the hell out of me if it wobbles on a flat surface. And no, I don't want to use a case. The other specs are underwhelming and I'm really pissed about the starting model still coming with 16GB. I'm sure as hell not paying 800€ for the unlocked 64GB version, especially if it still comes with 1GB RAM only.

mtcowdog

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
Design is OK -- no doubt they are iPhones, even if they are generally a step back in aesthetics. I'm sure the functionality will be very good, and the larger sizes are nice to see. The area where I am underwhelmed is battery life, particularly with the 4.7". With all that extra size the rock star engineers and designers at Apple couldn't up the battery life over the 5s? Huh?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm not happy. The back looks ugly (IMO) and the protruding camera is ugly and will probably annoy the hell out of me if it wobbles on a flat surface. And no, I don't want to use a case. The other specs are underwhelming and I'm really pissed about the starting model still coming with 16GB. I'm sure as hell not paying 800€ for the unlocked 64GB version, especially if it still comes with 1GB RAM only.

Sounds like a no buy for you then. Problem solved.

I don't like the raised camera but I own a 4S and I like the option of 4.7" or 5.5". I don't want to carry a tablet in my pocket. I do wish the 4.7" had 1080. Unless I missed it of course.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I'm only "not happy", because the decision of which model to get (if I indeed purchase one) is difficult to make.

Prior to the reveal, I wasn't interested in a 5.5" phone. It would be uncomfortable in my pocket (if it even fit), and would just be way too big for my needs.

On the other hand, the 4.7" doesn't have the landscape features that the 5.5" does (which I consider a major piece of functionality I would use a lot), it doesn't have the higher PPI display the 5.5" does, and more important, doesn't have the awesome battery the 5.5" does.

I'd be looking at the 128 GB option of either, but I don't want to spend $1000+ AUD on the 4.7" if I know I'm going to be missing out on those features above, but on the other hand, I don't want such a large phone.

It's a tough one, and I'm sure a lot of people around the world are also trying to reach a decision for the same/similar reasons.

Maybe I should just save my money and stick with my iPhone 5, which is completely full, and has a battery that only lasts a few hours.

joe1946

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
How many people actually have 4k devices to play the video back on? The iPhone 6+ itself only has a 1080p display doesn't it?
Many millions and I bet there will be 10x as many 4K UHD TVs sold in 2015 as in 2014.
Second quarter global shipments of 4K Ultra HD (UHD) TV sets surpassed all UHD shipments for full year 2013, according to findings released by NPD DisplaySearch.

The market research firm said UHD shipments reached 2.1 million sets in the period, compared to 1.6 million sets shipped throughout 2013.
http://www.twice.com/news/statistics/q2-ultra-hd-tv-shipments-top-all-2013/53793
BTW 4K videos from smartphones play on any PC or Mac along with 4K youtube videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.