Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
my fave thread every two years........

tracking + hunting iphone 6 and 6+ from birth to home for apple.com

apple only announced that the iPhone 6 pre-orders start on September 12th...... it is believed to begin at 12:01 AM Pacific/3:01 AM Eastern

get your iPhone, iPad + Macs ready, set and open to apple store...

set your alarms.......see you on friday!!

iLoveMyApple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2008
Southern California
AT&T and Verizon both state 12:01 AM Pacific time so hopefully Apple is the same. I'm pretty sure their pre-orders will start at the same time as the carriers though.

ap105

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
Real question is when will we actually receive the device? From the keynote they said phones will start shipping on the 19th. I pre ordered the 5, couple yrs ago and received it launch day but will that be true for the 6?!

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Real question is when will we actually receive the device? From the keynote they said phones will start shipping on the 19th. I pre ordered the 5, couple yrs ago and received it launch day but will that be true for the 6?!

They usually overnight it and get it to you by the 19th or the day after.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
If I pre order as a new customer for Verizon through Apple. Will I get the free 1 GB of data per line for 24 months? Or will I have to do it through Verizon to get that?

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2010
The Apple website preorder for iPhone 5 was a terrible experience for me last time. Had to wait until 3am EST, then took no less than 2 hours of pressing F5 key to refresh and getting halfway through the checkout process to register for one only to be interrupted by website errors a gazillion times. After all that time I finally got registered and did NOT get my iPhone for DAYS after the official release day. My neighbors that preordered from AT&T's website or went to our local AT&T store got theirs ON release day. I was so mad! To top it off my wife decided about 8 hours later that she wanted to upgrade also, so I put in a reservation order on Apple's website only around 8 hours after I had done one for myself.. her iPhone did not arrive from China til 3 weeks later! And then UPS played a game where they wouldn't let me have it unless it was signed for which was super inconvenient with my work schedule. I ended up having UPS change delivery to my local UPS store and had to pay $5 extra to UPS for that privilege.

The iPhone 4 preorder was the complete opposite. No money down, used the Apple Store app, reserved in a few minutes, went to Apple store on release day and walked out with new phone. Why can't they do it that way again? Is it because it allowed anyone with an iOS device to reserve one and not necessary actually pay for it?, hence tying up a legitimate customer from getting their order received?

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009

the 19th. it will be shipped from China to your house within 5 days I believe. Most see tracking info Sunday night/Monday morning.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I, too, love this annual thread. I'll be up at 3am eastern on Friday! Actually 2:45 to make sure I have my wits about me at 3. :)

Edit: I'll be ordering a 5.5 for myself and a 4.7 for the wife.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
I'm torn cause I want to do the Verizon $200 trade in but I prefer preordering from Apple. I just spoke to VZW today (and they rolled back my upgrade date by a week so I could pre-order) and the guy said "don't worry about getting up at 3:00 AM to pre-order... we won't run out and you'll get one even if you don't pre-order till 3:00 PM". he even offered to call me on Friday and do everything for me!

Anyone have any experience preordering at a normal hour of the day (not getting up at 3:00 AM) lol?

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
I also would love to know why I couldn't preorder and pick up at a store. I'm lucky that I can have it shipped to my work address, but not everyone is in that boat.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I'm torn cause I want to do the Verizon $200 trade in but I prefer preordering from Apple. I just spoke to VZW today (and they rolled back my upgrade date by a week so I could pre-order) and the guy said "don't worry about getting up at 3:00 AM to pre-order... we won't run out and you'll get one even if you don't pre-order till 3:00 PM". he even offered to call me on Friday and do everything for me!

Anyone have any experience preordering at a normal hour of the day (not getting up at 3:00 AM) lol?

LOL what will he give you if he's wrong? May I review the contract for you on that? He didn't give you one?!?! Well, good thing no one ever lies just to seem like a good person then...

Making promises is EASY when there are NO repercussions if you don't follow through.

Don't trust him. Order at 12AM and be done with it. That way you won't have to spend 12 hours stressing it.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
I also would love to know why I couldn't preorder and pick up at a store. I'm lucky that I can have it shipped to my work address, but not everyone is in that boat.

one can assume they would not want the traffic of both people wanting to buy THAT DAY and also have to hold stock on those picking up who've pre-ordered. that's the way I see it.

they probably think, if you can pre-order and pick up in store later, you can walk in the store like everyone else and order. though I, along with everyone else would be working.

i'll just order on apple.com and have it delivered to my work address.

Vesper6

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
So I haven't done this since the iPhone 5 release 2 years ago. Did the Apple store app work any better than the website last year for the 5s?

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
So I haven't done this since the iPhone 5 release 2 years ago. Did the Apple store app work any better than the website last year for the 5s?

some had better experiences on there. i'll have both ready, apple.com and the apple store app on my iPhone.

ejfontenot

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Texas
What about changing plans? I think I am going to move to ATT next, i wonder where the best place to order will be. Last time (iPhone 5) I used the app, just wondering if apple will have the ability to handle plan changes also.

steemax

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
SoCal
Can't wait! Only other time I pre-ordered was for the 5 and it was painless for me. I used the Apple website on my laptop, got in at 12:03 and was pre-ordered by 12:05. Got my iPhone on launch day via UPS around 5pm.

This time around I'll be at work though so I really hope I can have UPS deliver to one of their locations so I can pick up my self so I won't miss the signature confirmation. Otherwise if I have the option to pickup in store I'd rather do that as long as I won't be waiting in line for hours just to pick up.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
LOL what will he give you if he's wrong? May I review the contract for you on that? He didn't give you one?!?! Well, good thing no one ever lies just to seem like a good person then...

Making promises is EASY when there are NO repercussions if you don't follow through.

Don't trust him. Order at 12AM and be done with it. That way you won't have to spend 12 hours stressing it.

Sure it's hearsay but I tend to believe there will be supply, especially because the very unscientific polls on here say that the 128GB iPhone 6 is going to be less in demand (and that's the one I'm getting). Plus for the 5s, I was able to get one in-store a week after launch...

I didn't demand he put it in writing, I didn't try to nail him with a barrage of questions, I didn't cop an attitude. I just took the info with a grain of salt and can only base what I do on my opinion/experience.

I'm further researching this and trying to figure out if the Verizon Edge program is part of the $200 offer. If it is, deal is off -- ordering from apple. I don't need the Edge thing...

casmith07

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2009
USA
Sure it's hearsay but I tend to believe there will be supply, especially because the very unscientific polls on here say that the 128GB iPhone 6 is going to be less in demand (and that's the one I'm getting). Plus for the 5s, I was able to get one in-store a week after launch...

I didn't demand he put it in writing, I didn't try to nail him with a barrage of questions, I didn't cop an attitude. I just took the info with a grain of salt and can only base what I do on my opinion/experience.

I'm further researching this and trying to figure out if the Verizon Edge program is part of the $200 offer. If it is, deal is off -- ordering from apple. I don't need the Edge thing...

I think they will have plenty of supply available. I don't expect them to sell out like they did when the iPhone 4 came out.

Verizon Edge is not a part of the $200 offer. You can get the $200 when you trade in an old iPhone whether you pay the 2-year upgrade price, Edge Up, or pay full retail.

I'll be paying full retail, as my upgrade is not due until December (!!!). That way I'll be "on cycle" for future iPhone iterations at upgrade pricing.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
I think they will have plenty of supply available. I don't expect them to sell out like they did when the iPhone 4 came out.

Verizon Edge is not a part of the $200 offer. You can get the $200 when you trade in an old iPhone whether you pay the 2-year upgrade price, Edge Up, or pay full retail.

I'll be paying full retail, as my upgrade is not due until December (!!!). That way I'll be "on cycle" for future iPhone iterations at upgrade pricing.

Thanks!

I hope so. The guy at Verizon that I spoke to, I could tell was older than me (I'm 30) and he seemed like he had been working there for a while. he seemed VERY unconcerned about pre-order and supply. I don't know if he knows more than we do about Verizon's allotment but I would say they're going to have a LOT of phones on-hand -- especially if they're giving you $200 for a trade in!

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal

i believe a lot of the initial preorders will receive their phones on friday. i saw a news article a few days agot that apple had already reserved a huge chunk of shippers availabilty and they either have or will start shipping and staging phones in warehouses all over the US so they are a quick overnight.

others will still come from china but will still get here friday. (my 5 came from china and arrived on release day as did my 4g and 4). however hubby's 5 ordered immediatly after my order was placed didn't come for several days.

i hope apple has a bigger supply this time around since tim cook says this will be the mother of all upgrades!

Last edited:

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
i hope apple had a bigger supply this time around since tim cook says this will be the mother of all upgrades!

I have a feeling this is what will happen. On the front page of MacRumors, there was an article like a week ago how Apple is pretty much taking all shipping spots on FedEx UPS etc to the USA.

stiloverx

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
North Jerzey
Been Waiting for this since last year! , Im getting iPhone 6 64GB in Black. iPhone 6 + is too big for me, it will look like im holding a tablet when on the phone.

Im going to pre-order the phone @ 3AM EST this friday, im really hoping i get my iphone on release day of 9/19!!

Last year, i order the gold iphone 5S in pre-order day and i got it until October 31, i was so pissed off and i kept calling Apple for updates and got away with a free case, free docking station and free 50$ off coupon for the Apple store. :cool:

Im really hoping this is not the case this time i want my phone on release day!

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2010
Can't wait! Only other time I pre-ordered was for the 5 and it was painless for me. I used the Apple website on my laptop, got in at 12:03 and was pre-ordered by 12:05. Got my iPhone on launch day via UPS around 5pm. .

Sounds like your Internet speeds are not ***** where you live. The fastest bird gets the worm. At 2:59am EST I was refreshing the apple.com site as smooth as a hot knife through butter and then at 3:00am on the dot the site went to crapola and nothing would load. I hate network bottlenecks. TWC sucks in my area. I'm jealous of those that have fast, reliable Internet available to them. They don't realize how much frustration they are saving in circumstances like this. I guess this is a good example of what net neutrality may feel like. :)

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
They usually overnight it and get it to you by the 19th or the day after.

incorrect. Apple ships the phones from China starting shortly after they are ordered. When you order, you'll be informed whether it will arrive on Sep 19 or it will say "ships in ... days/weeks"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.