Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I have an iPhone 5s and an iPad Air. The size discrepancies between the two devices makes the experience different enough to warrant owning (and managing) both.

With the 5.5" iPhone Plus, the iPad becomes even more of a luxury than before and something that I could easily live without. iPad Mini owners will feel this effect even more. In the end, I'd rather sell my iPad Air and manage just one iOS device that serves both purposes than own both. Interested in what others plan to do if they get the iPhone Plus and own an iPad (and no, I'm not saying what I'm doing is what you should do...just want your usage opinions).

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.
I have an iPhone 5s and an iPad Air. The size discrepancies between the two devices makes the experience different enough to warrant owning (and managing) both.

With the 5.5" iPhone Plus, the iPad becomes even more of a luxury than before and something that I could easily live without. iPad Mini owners will feel this effect even more. In the end, I'd rather sell my iPad Air and manage just one iOS device that serves both purposes than own both. Interested in what others plan to do if they get the iPhone Plus and own an iPad (and no, I'm not saying what I'm doing is what you should do...just want your usage opinions).

Personally, I'm ditching the iPad Air when Apple releases a iPad Pro.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I have an iPad 3 and was planning on upgrading to a new iPad this year. I may just keep it until I figure out how I will use the 6+. I will keep an iPad around for magazines and photography/cooking books, but I may not feel as compelled to upgrade at this point. On the other hand, the new phone may make my iPad feel archaic and I may feel more compelled to update. Guess we will find out soon enough.:D

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
That's pretty much my take on it as well.

As I sit here and think about it more, I forgot that when I walk in from work my iPhone usually goes straight to the charger and then I pick up my iPad for the rest of the evening. Although, a $20 car charger would probably fix that on my hour long commute...

tigerfan41

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Depends on what you use your iPad for.

If you're comfortable reading and watching media on a 5.5" screen (assuming you do that on your iPad), then the iPhone 6+ will be great for that.

If, however, you use the iPad Air or Mini for productivity (lots of emails, photo editing, writing, work on the go with a bluetooth keyboard) and like having a bigger screen for reading/media consumption, then no phone will ever replace the iPad for you.

No way am I doing photo editing or lots of writing on a 5.5" screen......so the iPad Mini stays.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
We have 3 iPads and my wife and two kids are always using them. Guess the Plus will be MY "iPad" :D

:apple:

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA

If you're comfortable reading and watching media on a 5.5" screen (assuming you do that on your iPad), then the iPhone 6+ will be great for that.

If, however, you use the iPad Air or Mini for productivity (lots of emails, photo editing, writing, work on the go with a bluetooth keyboard) and like having a bigger screen for reading/media consumption, then no phone will ever replace the iPad for you.

No way am I doing photo editing or lots of writing on a 5.5" screen......so the iPad Mini stays.

Fair enough. I don't have a bluetooth keyboard for my iPad Air. When typing on the couch, the iPad Air is a little bulky and unwieldy to type on for me. I do some artwork with Procreate, but not enough that I would miss it if it were gone. I agree use case will be what people should decide on, but Apple is introducing this question that wasn't quite there before with the iPhone 6 Plus. The line between phone and tablet has officially been blurred in the Apple ecosystem.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
To me, there is a big difference between a 5.5" and 9.7" screen. I wouldn't get rid of an iPad just because I got the iPhone 6+.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US

I agree.The size of an iPad Air or the rumored Pro is comparable to a laptop screen. No phone ever comes even close.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I theorize that the iPad cannibalization is one reason we didn't see a 32GB model as base (or at all). I need 16GB at minimum (whether I am replacing my iPad or not) just based on my current usage/habits. I could micromanage things, but at the end of the day I would rather not.

As crazy as it sounds, I am now even considering just springing for 128GB and knowing that I have completely replaced the iPad mini in my life.

It's worth noting that at least part of that decision being a good one hinges on whether we are able to run iPad apps on this phone. There are some apps that simply don't exist in the iPhone section of the appstore.

sr1329

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
I think it will. I never reach for an ipad when the phone is so convenient. I'd say even now (however I don't have an iPad mini - which is the only one I would consider today) I use the phone for about 90% of my internet browsing. The other 10% via a Windows Laptop.

With the iPhone Plus it just kills any latent desire to purchase an iPad mini. 6oz vs. 11oz. It's almost a no brainer for me.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
For me it is better to have 2 iOS devices rather than one.

I also have iPhone 5 and 3g retina mini, when I upgrade to the iPhone 6 plus. maybe I would use the iPhone more than the mini, and the mini would act as my "backup iOS" device.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'll still keep my Mini around, 5.5" is great for doing some serious work while on the move but it's not a 7.9" tablet. I won't be carrying my Mini around or pulling it out FOR EVERYTHING.

Besides, all I could ever do on my iPhone was make calls and send texts. The screen was much to small for anything else.

sr1329

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
For me it is better to have 2 iOS devices rather than one.

I also have iPhone 5 and 3g retina mini, when I upgrade to the iPhone 6 plus. maybe I would use the iPhone more than the mini, and the mini would act as my "backup iOS" device.

Agreed and I think the retina 3g mini serves as the best backup.

underblu

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Finally a reasonably sized iphone.

As a MacBook Pro an iPad owner I defected to a galaxy almost 2 years ago because of my disgust at the tiny iPhone screen size.

Now, I'm looking forward to going back to an iPhone after having owned the samsung galaxy and even with the galaxies large screen size there is still no comparison to my iPad Air. I mean there was even a noticeable enough difference between the air and the mini afaic.

I will say that I had been considering an iPad mini for another slightly more mobile option which I now might forgo depending on how the 6 plus works out but I honestly don't get how anyone would prefer web browsing, watching movies etc on the 6 plus over an iPad.

Last edited:

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I haven't had an iPad for nearly two years and don't miss it at all. My rMBP is light and portable enough for me to use around the house (mostly on the couch or in bed). Whenever I don't have a real need to use the laptop my iPhone 5S is what I use the rest of the time for casual media consumption or looking at social media, texts, emails, etc.

So while I do find the iPads very appealing, I personally can't find much use for one. I've managed perfectly between my rMPB and my 5S for so long and now moving to a 5.5" iPhone will make it even harder to justify the need for an iPad.

sr1329

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
Finally a reasonably sized iphone.

As a MacBook Pro an iPad owner I defected to a galaxy almost 2 years ago because of my disgust at the tiny iPhone screen size.

Now, I'm looking forward to going back to an iPhone after having owned the samsung galaxy and even with the galaxies large screen size there is still no comparison to my iPad Air. I mean there was even a noticeable enough difference between the air and the mini afaic.

I will say that I had been considering an iPad mini for another slightly more mobile option which I now might forgo depending on how the 6 plus works out but I honestly don't get how anyone would prefer web browsing, watching movies etc on the 6 plus over an iPad.

For web browsing I can see someone reaching for an iPad on the couch. But for watching movies an Apple TV connected to any size TV kills it.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
5.5" iPhone 6 Plus kills the iPad (for me)..you?

Every single apple product anyone has bought is a luxury item. Aside from ONE laptop/MacBook, no one really needs an iPhone or ipad or apple watch etc.

The Plus will slot in nicely in my iPhone 5, retina mini and air line up. I'll just use the right TOOL for the right job. It's like those people who never understand why anyone would have more than one screwdriver or drill bit.

Air for videos
Mini for reading
Plus for everyday workhorse
5 for backup and international SIM cards

Life is good

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I have a HTC one max (6") and it would never (size wise) replace my iPad mini OR my iPad.

No way! The size differences are extremely different! Obvious when in use.

pakupakuman

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013
5.5" iPhone 6 Plus kills the iPad (for me)..you?

Funny, my work fellas and I discussed this yesterday. We have a feeling the 5.5 may cannibalize some iPad Mini sales, while the purported 12"iPad will cannibalize some iPad Air sales.

I, for one, will seriously consider the 4.7" phone at a minimum. Typing on the 5 has been a bit harder than on the last HTC I had. As for the 5.5", I'd have to see it in person, but I'm guessing it'll be too big for my particular needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.