Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use iTunes or Plex for videos?

• iTunes

Votes: 118 47.4%
  • Plex

Votes: 131 52.6%

• Total voters

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
For music, iTunes. For movies, TV shows, music videos, etc., Plex, hands down. Plex can handle far more file types, automatically downloads artwork, metadata, subtitles, etc., can be controlled remotely with the Plex mobile app, easily plays content from any networked drive and deliver it to any computer, iOS device, etc. on the network. It can also play content across the internet.

This is my reasoning as well. I did try to use iTunes w/ ATV but found it clunky. Plex (on my NAS) w/ my Roku is fantastic. I only add movies to iTunes if I plan on syncing it on my iPad. Plex can also Airplay to the ATV. I just really like being able to play movies without having to use my Mac or have to carry an external drive. If I'm traveling, I can just stream it.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
I use iTunes for most of my music needs, to stream video I use Beemer. For me its easy and will play anything I throw at it. I don't keep a neat library so a quick search and drag, its movie time.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Plex has far more and far more useful channels. Even Netflix is better on Plex (and face it, Apple TV is basically a glorified Netflix box, unless you are stupid enough (and I suppose, a technical imbecile) to be spending your unemployment checks on overpriced media from iTunes).

I am not sure of your level of understanding of iTunes and Apple TV that's causing you to make such an irrational statement.

You are aware that Apple TV can stream both movies and audio that are not purchased from the iTunes store?

Assuming you know that, you know that having stored local media costs money and time in infrastructure and that you have to take that into account when comparing costs of purchasing from the cloud?

You also realize that "properly" storing local media is no simple task no matter what software solution you use. When you start getting in the 10's of terabytes you have to start being more methodical about how you will account for several different scenarios that could cause data loss.

Some people may be able to download all their movies and music for free from the Internet and then steal USB drives from their job at Fry's Electronic. But just because that guy can claim that having a movie collection of 2000 films costs nothing, it's not a solution for every one.

There is also content that you cannot buy on physical disc and is only available through digital content services like iTunes or Amazon. If you want to download them from torrent sites for free that is a personal choice, but it is not an option for all people.

The unemployment check aspect is really beyond the scope of my knowledge.

----------

Since plex cannot stream iTunes movies it is not needed unless you are copying your discs to your pc.

To clarify, iTunes can handle copied movies just as easily as purchased content and their is no distinction between the 2 on iTunes and Apple TV.

The caveat is that you will need an external metadata tagging program to get the same "look & feel" with your copied movies. Primarily if you want things like the "HD" logo and the rating to show up.

wwohl

macrumors regular
May 2, 2013
I didn't read all comments, just posting to what I saw on first page.

Plex has native apps for the Amazon Fire TV and Roku 3. If you want to run a plex environment, either of those devices should be used at your TV. (unless you have an HTPC at the computer)

PlexConnect does work for the ATV (all models). Im currently running it on my ATV3. Its complicated to set up for sure. However, it works. The interface looks like the iOS application...which isn't great. The Plex home theater application for OSX/Windows is beautiful and I really like it.

I think the plex atmosphere is much better than what iTunes shows you. For example, my content via homesharing is simply a list of 500+ movies on the apple tv with artwork to the left when I select one. The Plex environment on the correct set top box app or HTPC app is beautiful.

Overall, I think the right set top box is the best investment. Use plex to access your content, but have all of the other available applications to rent, watch netflix, amazon instant etc. The HTPC desktop experience is not something you wanna do from the sofa and I know Plex/XBMC have had issues implementing those services directly into the Plex HTPC application.

If the next Apple TV doesn't have a true app store that includes plex, ill be purchasing a Roku or Amazon TV to replace my ATV3

Johnxc23

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2015
I am curious, what do you use for your media needs, iTunes or Plex.

Ever since iTunes 11 came out I began thinking of using it (with iVI) for playing my videos instead of using Plex. However, iTunes has a clunky NAS support and is not as convenient as Plex.

I am curious, what do you use for your media an why?

I know this is an old forum but I have been using iTunes and iflicks for years and I love it. Iflicks puts in the metadata and converts it to m4v. Then I just add it to my iTunes library and I am set. I rarely ever watch movies or anything when I'm not home. If I do like on vacation I put some movies on Google drive and stream them with my chromecast. Works well.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Plex rules, it plays any format, automatically finds your cover art, and never has issues. Love it and use it for everything now but music. iTunes Music for that. :)

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
iTunes for AppleTV sucks! looks like we are back in the early 2000's. Plex is modern and amazing look and feel! Its all about looks and feel. I have all my movies in mp4 format. It doesn't matter if its iTunes or Plex but Plex just looks amazing on the AppleTV. Apple needs to do this for anyone to consider it! BUT!! they won't because they want you to buy their movies on the apple store.

Johnxc23

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2015
Yes but I don't care what format it is in and iTunes plays flawlessly with my appletv. I thought about using plex seeing the new appletv has a native App but it's same amount of steps.

Johnxc23

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2015
Yes but I don't care what format it is in and iTunes plays flawlessly with my appletv. I thought about using plex seeing the new appletv has a native App but it's same amount of steps.

I've never bought a movie on the iTunes Store and I could care less how the app looks. All I care about is the movie I am watching and iTunes with appletv does fine. No lagging. No comparability issues. Just flawless streaming

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
oh ok! Home sharing is horrible! I tried and its just horrible!

Plex works perfect and its direct play no transcoding! Artwork looks amazing and trailers and artwork all comes with it! You should really give it a try! you won't regret it!!

mostlycharlie

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
The only time I ever interact with iTunes is when I need to import a recently-encoded m4v file. It starts up automatically when my iMac boots up and sits there in the background waiting to serve movies to my Apple TV.

A few times over the years I've experimented with Plex and gave up because it felt like too much work to get everything set up. I'm sure if I were more serious about my media library then it would be a better, more robust solution for me. But I'm not. The only movies we keep around are the ones that we (mostly my kids) watch regularly, and a high profile h.264 rip/encode, or an HD download from iTunes, suits us just fine.

Apple.Fanatic

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
oh ok! Home sharing is horrible! I tried and its just horrible!

Plex works perfect and its direct play no transcoding! Artwork looks amazing and trailers and artwork all comes with it! You should really give it a try! you won't regret it!!

I used iTunes for everything and home sharing for my Apple TV 3. Bought new Apple TV and Home sharing even worse (didn't think it was possible). My movie descriptions are missing and movie posters are small. If Plex wasn't on Apple TV I would had returned it. First time playing with plex and can't believe it took me so long to get it.

zinned

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Homesharing is great, works great. No issues and I have plenty of titles in my library.

Plex on the other hand is unreliable. From one time to another subtitles won't work, metadata is missing, sound is off, etc etc. The one thing that Plex is good at is the remote access from iOS over the internet.

MacFanBoi

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
Having never used plex until getting the new Apple TV I can't believe I haven't used it before. I have the plex media server running on my synology nas and so far I've added my movie folder and in the process of scanning my tv series folder. The way it works is so good adding all the cover art and descriptions all automatically saves so much time.

For the most part it's working perfect but I have noticed a couple movies incorrectly named but I'll fix that manually on the weekend. To series folder is looking great so far but I think there is still a day or so to go before it finishes processing all the folders. Needless to say I'm very happy with it so far.

Reactions: ZeRoLiMiT

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I REALLY like the look of the Plex interface... don't really need any of the advanced features like transcoding as all of my content is encoded specifically with the Apple ecosystem in mind. The biggest problem I have is that I have been buying iTunes content for many years now (in place of traditional cable/DVR or DVD/Bluray setups). Plex can't handle this content, which means I would have to look in two different places to find shows and movies.

I spent some time looking at some of the applications out there that "remove" DRM, and besides having very shady-looking websites they aren't lossless (even though they claim to be).

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
So, considering using Plex. Used to use it on an old media streamer I had eons ago and I like it even then. But here's my issue with Plex vs iTunes...that means I have to have 2 apps running all the time to use the aTV. I have to have iTunes open all the time to feed the aTV (Apple Music, HBO, Netflix and local music files). Then I have to have Plex also running on my Mac (or at least go start it up) if I want to watch locally stored videos. Does anyone else find this to be an impediment to using Plex or is it just me?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Shut down iTunes! use Plex for everything. You dont need itunes open for HBO, Netflix or Apple Music.
Really, I thought iTunes had to be running for the aTV to work? We have a lot of iTunes playlists incorporating our local files with streaming files from Apple Music. Do we have to create new playlists in Plex or can we still just go to Apple Music to play those playlists. Not sure I understand how Plex really works now. It's been a long time since I used it. Maybe it's time to just download it and see what it can do, since it is free. You do need the Plex media server running on a Mac though, right?

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
Plex will import your playlist if you have local music. If you use itunes music like I do it should be in the music app.

Plex organizes your movies, tv shows and local media content. What itunes did but better! and nicer!
give it a try and you will see!

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
One of the upsides to using iTunes HomeSharing is that the videos are easily compatible with iDevices.

For example, if I'm flying somewhere tomorrow, I'll just plug in my iPad or iPhone and sync over a season of a TV show I like or a few unwatched movies. Since the files are already in iTunes, they just copy over and are available offline on my device pretty much right away, and I have uninterrupted entertainment without need for wifi or cellular or anything like that.

If Plex were to offer something similar, I think I would begin to make the switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.