Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iusername20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Hello,

I will be preordering on the 12th through vzw.com. I have an upgrade available on another line. My line does not have an upgrade.

Will I be able to transfer the upgrade to my line when I pre order, the same way I can transfer my upgrade if i were to buy a new phone today?

dreamroar

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
Just preorder with discount, when you get the phone, you are free to exchange numbers between phones yourself. I tried last year with Verizon.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
Or you can do an alternate upgrade. Much easier process. Also, VZW is offering an extra 1GB of data if you upgrade or add a line but not if a basic phone is put on that line, I'm not sure what type of phone is on the line you're upgrading, but that's something to consider.

Iusername20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Just preorder with discount, when you get the phone, you are free to exchange numbers between phones yourself. I tried last year with Verizon.

Will the service be suspended at any point on the line I'm using the upgrade?

Iusername20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
If you use that method, yes, if you use mine, no.

Are you sure?

A,B,C,D are on a family plan. B and C have upgrades. A wants a new Iphone but does not have the upgrade. A plans on purchasing the iPhone using B's upgrade on the preorder page and activate it on A's line when it arrives home. Will B's service be suspended at any point?

Harvey Specter

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
Portland, Oregon
It seems on the VZW website that I can't save the upgrade to my line, but I can use another line's upgrade if I choose the new device immediately after transferring the upgrade. This should work when I preorder the new iPhone from Verizon's website on the 12th right?

md1801

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Slightly different, but related problem

I am curious to know the answers here as well. My situation is that I have two lines under contract until 12/19. I have a third line that I'm not using but at one time had a tablet on it. I kept it thinking that I could transfer the upgrade to one of my under-contract lines and use it to upgrade that phone to a new iPhone 6. I would then be free to drop that line once 12/19 passed. Is that different from what is being described here?

I'm open to suggestions on what the best course of action would be and this seemed an appropriate place to put that question.

Iusername20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
It seems on the VZW website that I can't save the upgrade to my line, but I can use another line's upgrade if I choose the new device immediately after transferring the upgrade. This should work when I preorder the new iPhone from Verizon's website on the 12th right?

Wondering

tangent7

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
I would also like to know if I can do this..

My mom is using my old iPhone 4. I have the 5s. She can upgrade and I can't. Can I trade her phone in for the $200, give her my phone, and I get the 6+?

mikeydooodie

macrumors member
May 13, 2008

im in the same boat, I'm thinking sign in around 2:50 move the upgrade to your line then at 3:01 the iPhone 6 preorder should become live on the phones section. if that don't work ill be marching into a verizon store on the 19th

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
Are you sure?

A,B,C,D are on a family plan. B and C have upgrades. A wants a new Iphone but does not have the upgrade. A plans on purchasing the iPhone using B's upgrade on the preorder page and activate it on A's line when it arrives home. Will B's service be suspended at any point?

If you're not doing an alternate upgrade (that is literally the technical name) then as soon as you turn on B's "pre ordered" phone when it arrives, B's service will be interrupted until you switch over the phone to A. However, you may be able to switch the phone you preordered to A before turning it on. It depends if the online system will allow it or customer service will do it. Technically, it has to be activated on the line that upgraded for some period of time if you don't do an alternate upgrade. Also, the phone will OTA activate as soon as it's powered on, so keep that in mind.

Please elaborate. Your question is not clear.

I am curious to know the answers here as well. My situation is that I have two lines under contract until 12/19. I have a third line that I'm not using but at one time had a tablet on it. I kept it thinking that I could transfer the upgrade to one of my under-contract lines and use it to upgrade that phone to a new iPhone 6. I would then be free to drop that line once 12/19 passed. Is that different from what is being described here?

I'm open to suggestions on what the best course of action would be and this seemed an appropriate place to put that question.

So you have two lines that are currently under contract that also have PHONES on them, correct? What is on the third line now? Is it a test device? If it's a test device and it allows you to upgrade, then that's how I would do it. However, when 12/19 comes you could only cancel the line you did not upgrade, therefore you would lose your phone number (if you don't care about that, no big deal). You could upgrade the third line then switch the phone over, but if you wanted to cancel on 12/19, you would be cancelling to the line you switched it over, not the line you upgraded. If it has a tablet, it CANNOT be upgraded to a phone.

Wondering

I would also like to know if I can do this..

My mom is using my old iPhone 4. I have the 5s. She can upgrade and I can't. Can I trade her phone in for the $200, give her my phone, and I get the 6+?

You would be better off doing an alternate upgrade for her number. Basically, you upgrade your phone based on her line's elegibility. After that happens, her line will still have an iPhone 4, but yours will have a 6. Then, you immediately want to switch the unactivated (now) 5S for the iPhone 4, then trade in the 4. The rep should be able to handle that with no issue.

im in the same boat, I'm thinking sign in around 2:50 move the upgrade to your line then at 3:01 the iPhone 6 preorder should become live on the phones section. if that don't work ill be marching into a verizon store on the 19th

I will address all of your questions over the next 30 minutes or so. I'll edit this post and post the answer beneath your quote. Also, I'm not (just like anyone else) super familiar with the pre order process, but I'll pretend like you're getting the phone today.

Last edited:

Iusername20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Can i qualify by saying I'm not interested in adding a line even if its for only a day?

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Or you can do an alternate upgrade. Much easier process. Also, VZW is offering an extra 1GB of data if you upgrade or add a line but not if a basic phone is put on that line, I'm not sure what type of phone is on the line you're upgrading, but that's something to consider.

I know about the transfer upgrade path. But what is this alternative upgrade? Where can I locate it on the verizon website? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.