Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When Apple announced that the Apple Watch would be able to use Apple Pay, the company's new mobile payment initiative, many wondered how secure the payments would be if the device lacked the security of Touch ID, which is used in the iPhone 6's implementation. Now, several members of the press have confirmed how the system works.

applewatchpay.png
Both Rene Ritchie of iMore and Cult of Mac report that when a user first puts on the Watch they must type in a PIN code to authorize Apple Pay. Once it's on, the Watch uses constant skin contact, which it can sense using the four sapphire-covered lenses on the underside of the device, to authorize payments. However, once the device is removed from a user's wrist, they must re-enter their PIN when putting the device back on their wrist.
Thanks to sensors on the Apple Watch's back, the device can tell when it's being worn and when it has been taken off. When you first put the watch on, you must enter a code. When the watch is removed from your wrist, the watch locks itself and can't be used for payments unless the code is entered again.
MasterCard's mobile payment executive Ed McLaughlin also told Re/code that the Watch would use the four sensors on the back of the device as a security measure, while Visa CEO Charlie Scharf said that Apple understood the risks of contactless payments and has a solution.

The Apple Watch is due to arrive in early 2015 and will start at $350.

Article Link: Apple Watch Will Use Skin Contact for Apple Pay Security

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Hopefully they implement failed attempts into this. After like no more than 5 attempts, simply lock out the watch software entirely.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I have bony wrists. With most watches I wear the back is rarely plastered up against the back of my wrist. How tight are people going to have to wear this thing? I think there's going to be a lot of re-entering your pin.

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
Love the idea. and I thought the mini card banks sent out was awesome. Plastic cards no more.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Lets see the details first.

since the sensors are on the back of the watch, I am curious to exactly how this will work.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I have bony wrists. With most watches I wear the back is rarely plastered up against the back of my wrist. How tight are people going to have to wear this thing? I think there's going to be a lot of re-entering your pin.

If you get one of the watch bands that can be infinitely adjusted (Leather loop, Milanese Loop), problem solved, unless you don't like either of those styles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.