Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel Quell

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
How does the current Macbook Air 13 inch screen compare to an older non-retina macbook pro screen? I think the non retina macbook screens are pretty amazing personally.

I'm attracted to the 13 inch macbook air because of its weights. I'm even considering the 11 inch.

Thank you for your help.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
How does the current Macbook Air 13 inch screen compare to an older non-retina macbook pro screen? I think the non retina macbook screens are pretty amazing personally.

I'm attracted to the 13 inch macbook air because of its weights. I'm even considering the 11 inch.

Thank you for your help.

The resolution on the Air is slightly higher than that of the non-retina MBP. That being said, the viewing angles and color accuracy is better on the non-retina MBP. If you are deciding between the two, don't let the screen be a deciding factor. They are both just okay, but for 2014 they are both a bit long in the tooth.

If you are used to the non-retina MBP, the Air's display will suit you well. You won't notice much difference.

jahala

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
As stated previously, the pixel density is slightly higher on the Macbook Air, but the colors and viewing angles are better on the regular pro. However, I prefer the screen of the Macbook air because it is just glossy enough to give bright colors without as many reflections as the macbook pro screen.

RianT

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2014
I prefer the non-Retina Pro to the MBA's screen since the viewing angles and colors look better.
Stay away from rMBP though... once you get one you will succumb to it and everything else will look horrible...

MacVibe

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
I have both, a 2011 non-retina MBP and a 2014 MB air. When I got the air and had used it for awhile, I just couldn't believe how poor the screen is compared with the MBP. I really appreciate having more pixels on the air but no matter how much I try to tweak the screen calibration it still looks very poor compared with the MBP. I am okay with using the air (and I do love the form factor) and don't really notice the screen quality issue, until of course, I go back to the MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.