Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Size...
It's the price...but the question is...Why assume that it's enough ?

It's normal for people to complain about it only being 16GB and some people would have the saying....Oh they don't have to update it because that is what everyone needs/prefers.

.....But that's not the case.
The reason why is because people are in a tight budget and many buys them for their kids. So just because it sells more..Doesn't mean it is enough for the users. In reality it's a joke to have that size without expandable memory.
The APPS are getting bigger in file size so why would it be fair to include THE SAME base model 16GB since the iPhone 3GS ? 5+ years ago..
3GS Had a 3.5 inch screen...3mp camera and the apps were tiny and that was a lot memory for it's time. But the new iPhone 6 with a bigger display will use up more memory. So it's not fair to assume people are fine with 16GB because in reality it gets completely filled. That Logic does not make sense.
' What you can fill in a 16GB hard drive 5 years ago..Is equal to 64GB today..
There weren't many big files 5 years ago and so you could filled it up with a lot of content that were small in size but today those contents are different.
'
Example: Angry Birds 2009 - 18mb file size
Angry Birds 2014 on a larger screen iPhone 6 - 72mb
3.2mp camera 0.4~mb VGA video 1 minute 33mb
8.0mp camera 1.7~mb 1080 video 1 minute 142mb

I hope my question made sense..

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Size...

It's normal for people to complain about it only being 16GB and some people would have the saying....Oh they don't have to update it because that is what everyone needs/prefers.

The reason why is because people are in a tight budget and many buys them for their kids. So just because it sells more..Doesn't mean it is enough for the users. In reality it's a joke to have that size without expandable memory.
The APPS are getting bigger in file size so why would it be fair to include THE SAME base model 16GB since the iPhone 3GS ? 5+ years ago..
3GS Had a 3.5 inch screen...3mp camera and the apps were tiny and that was a lot memory for it's time. But the new iPhone 6 with a bigger display will use up more memory. So it's not fair to assume people are fine with 16GB because in reality it gets completely filled. That Logic does not make sense.
There weren't many big files 5 years ago and so you could filled it up with a lot of content that were small in size but today those contents are different.
'

The truth is that the reason it's so "popular" is the price. If Apple had made the 32gb the base model it would have been just as popular.

However what Apple has done is make the 64gb iPhone way more enticing because for just $100 more you'll get 1 and a half times the storage.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Yep. The 16GB model sure is a sluggish seller. Apple really needs to listen or no one will buy one.

I mean, surely if it were the number one revenue generator for Apple they'd leave it alone.

I also hear Apple is considering going non-profit, so maybe then!!!

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Yep. The 16GB model sure is a sluggish seller. Apple really needs to listen or no one will buy one.

I mean, surely if it were the number one revenue generator for Apple they'd leave it alone.

I also hear Apple is considering going non-profit, so maybe then!!!

If they made the new iPhone 6 base model 8 gigs, it would be the best seller. It's price - period.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
The truth is that the reason it's so "popular" is the price. If Apple had made the 32gb the base model it would have been just as popular.

However what Apple has done is make the 64gb iPhone way more enticing because for just $100 more you'll get 1 and a half times the storage.

Check your math. :)

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW

Nail on the head. The overwhelming majority of users bought 16 gig because it was cheapest.

However, as apps have gotten bigger I think a lot of people are finding 16 gig isn't big enough. I begrudgingly give Apple credit for offering 64 gig for $100 more. While it is clearly being done to push more people to upgrade to a device with a fatter profit margin...at least they are providing some value by doubling the memory you got at that price point.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
What amazes me about the 16gb model is that it has been around since the original iPhone EDGE. That is a whole EIGHT GENERATIONS of iPhone. You would think that sooner or later they would finally decide to get rid of it. I wouldn't be surprised if it is still around when the iPhone 7 launches.

errorunknown

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
Size...

'

Dude first of all the iPhone 3GS, 4, and 4s had 8gb as the standard memory size. Shoot even the iPhone 5C is 8gb! Second of all, if someone is on a tight budget the LAST thing they should be buying is a luxury smart phone. It's called priorities and why most people are up to their eyeballs in debt doing minimum payments on their maxed out credit cards.

Reactions: tomi03

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
If they made the new iPhone 6 base model 8 gigs, it would be the best seller. It's price - period.

Then Apple should make 8GB the base model! Think of all the $$$ they can make shareholders!

It IS price. And if something sells extraordinarily well at a certain price point... So well people LINE UP to pay MSRP, why on EARTH would a business alter that product to reduce their margins? Even by a CENT.

People seem to think Apple does things because it likes them. They don't. They do things because the SHAREHOLDERS like them. If it happens to ALSO make people happy, so be it, but never forget they aren't the Red Cross.

They could make it 1TB and it would sell well too. They may even eek out a small profit.

So why not?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Nail on the head. The overwhelming majority of users bought 16 gig because it was cheapest.

However, as apps have gotten bigger I think a lot of people are finding 16 gig isn't big enough. I begrudgingly give Apple credit for offering 64 gig for $100 more. While it is clearly being done to push more people to upgrade to a device with a fatter profit margin...at least they are providing some value by doubling the memory you got at that price point.

If you only need say 20GB, then the 32GB was the one to go for. Apple will now give you 64GB for the same price as the 32GB but you're paying for storage you don't need. They should have halved the price of the 32GB storage point, and halved the price of the 64GB (for those who needed more). They really haven't given anything to people who only needed 32GB.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Shoot even the iPhone 5C is 8gb!

Only in certain countries and after the 6 releases. Today in the US and other countries the base is 16, and the 8 is not available. Apple knows that Americans and others who are a bit better off prefer larger capacity. 8gb would be an insult for a flagship phone! 16gb is already the bare minimum

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Then Apple should make 8GB the base model! Think of all the $$$ they can make shareholders!

It IS price. And if something sells extraordinarily well at a certain price point... So well people LINE UP to pay MSRP, why on EARTH would a business alter that product to reduce their margins? Even by a CENT.

People seem to think Apple does things because it likes them. They don't. They do things because the SHAREHOLDERS like them. If it happens to ALSO make people happy, so be it, but never forget they aren't the Red Cross.

They could make it 1TB and it would sell well too. They may even eek out a small profit.

So why not?
Because they would not sell many at $3000 a pop. The reason they don't sell a 8 Gig iphone in the developed world, is because they know they can't get away with that size in 2014. The backlash would be too much.

I read lots here about people getting pi$$ed about constant safari reloads. I meet people IRL who don't like it either. Just wait for even more reloads as more pixels need to be pushed on these new phones. Hopefully apple finally gets shamed enough to upgrade the ram to meet user experience expectations.

Because that is their calculus - what is the minimum we can get away with, and still sell the ish out of them - while providing a super expensive upgrade structure, like the storage space has been for the last 6 years.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I don't think anybody was arguing why the 16gb is most popular. Obviously it's because its the cheapest.

Hell, I've got money to blow and I still buy the 16gb. Storage is really not that important to me.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
If anyone uses their phone as a true 'smartphone' then they will need more than 16GB. It's a multimedia device; web browser, music player, video player, gaming system, camera, video camera and a whole host of other things.

If you use your expensive smartphone for phonecalls, SMS, Facetime, the odd photo, a few apps and occasional web browsing then you won't need all that much storage space.

I have zero music on my phone and still use more than 20GB of storage. If I had my music collection on the phone then even 128GB wouldn't be enough.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Only in certain countries and after the 6 releases. Today in the US and other countries the base is 16, and the 8 is not available. Apple knows that Americans and others who are a bit better off prefer larger capacity. 8gb would be an insult for a flagship phone! 16gb is already the bare minimum
Iphone 5c is available right now on Apple's website in the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.