Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
What about those of you that jog, cycle or work out? I do all those things, the 5.5 may be too cumbersome to take on a run.

I would like to hear peoples opinions on this too. I'm sure there are cases or straps that will come about for it.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I can assure you when I put a Note in my pocket it sits large on my thigh and digs in when I sit down. To me that is impractical. The arguments are not nonsense because they are subjective to the individual and what you put up with or like is not going to be the same for everybody.

My 11 year old has a 4.6" phone and carries it very well and hidden in his pockets and he does not by any means wear baggy pants, he is not allowed. So an adult (I assume) making claims of not being able to is hard to accept as fact.

By all means, you should carry what you prefer, but the "need baggy pants with cargo pockets" statements are absurd.

----------

there's nothing to discuss, it's an apple forum with the usual mix of buyers. You either get it or you don't, it's of little consequence.

+1

----------

It's not a phone, it's a computer.

And 5.5" is pretty small for a computer.

Another great answer.

I have large hands and the 4" I have is just too small. I want a 5.5, but will probably have to wait for the 6+S or whatever. Maybe it will start out with 32gb storage by then also. I think it's great to have choices and people with tiny hands should get past the fact that they are not the only people in the world. I think the larger iphones will be the biggest sellers ever. The point is to sell more phones, period.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My 11 year old has a 4.6" phone and carries it very well and hidden in his pockets and he does not by any means wear baggy pants, he is not allowed. So an adult (I assume) making claims of not being able to is hard to accept as fact.

By all means, you should carry what you prefer, but the "need baggy pants with cargo pockets" statements are absurd.

Whatever really.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
As you get older you will appreciate the larger screen. Won't need reading glasses when using the 6 plus.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Well walk away pumping your fist imagining you've accomplished a personal victory over me there if you like. If you can't respect my opinion then that is your problem, not mine. I won't be making the mistake of discussing anything with you on here in future.

What happened, someone urinate in your fish and chips? If you notice the 4.7 is only less than 15mm (less than .59") taller and less than 9mm (less than.35") wider than the 5s. It's hard to take anyone serious that claims that extra 1/2" tall and 1/3" wide makes it unable to carry in a pocket. Even the 6+ is only 35mm or 1 1/3" taller and 15mm or 1/2" wider than the 5s. I don't even see the extra 12" width and 1 1/3" height of the 6 plus making noticeable difference in adult pockets Please, feel free to block me if you wish. I won't even notice.

Victory? Posting the truth?

Last edited:

warriorz

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Professionals such as architects, designers, artists, musicians, surveyors, photographers, writers/ journo's with a keyboard attachment etc. So many of these and others would love the extra real estate. Show clients their properties, artwork, create art, show exhibition works and so on. If they've got this all on their phone it saves having a tablet as long as the smartphone screen is large enough to show their work/ create their work. Even hobbyists will make use of it, amateur photographers for example, to edit shots using the multitude of apps for photo editing. Personally the 4.7 inch is the absolute max for me. I'm not even sure I'll like that, may stick to the 5S, but we'll see, the only way to know is to try.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011

----------

+1

----------

Another great answer.

I have large hands and the 4" I have is just too small. I want a 5.5, but will probably have to wait for the 6+S or whatever. Maybe it will start out with 32gb storage by then also. I think it's great to have choices and people with tiny hands should get past the fact that they are not the only people in the world. I think the larger iphones will be the biggest sellers ever. The point is to sell more phones, period.

Well, the absurdity will start when people who bend the phone (read: NOT have the phone spontaneously "bend" on it's own lol) by either sitting on it, or having it in a pocket and twisting it that way. Then the "why is it MY fault when they call it a "phone"" and the "they should replace it for free" will begin.

They will of course, blame Apple for "defective aluminum" or some other BS, and end up convincing themselves that they should be able to wear Wranglers and carry the + in the change pocket while doing the wave at a rodeo.

The 5.5 will not be very pocketable. I get that your son (and the style is baggy now anyway, just saying) can do it. Can even you do it? Sure. Heck, I can almost cram a mini in there if I try hard enough ;) (and I'm only 6'1 180lbs soaking wet). The 4.7 will be much easier. It still won't be great honestly, but it should fit more like a phone.

Even if you NEVER make a call, you will be carrying it around far more than you ever did a tablet because it will still be your primary phone. It makes a big difference if it comfortably fits in a pocket.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
The 5.5 will not be very pocketable. I get that your son (and the style is baggy now anyway, just saying) can do it. Can even you do it? Sure. Heck, I can almost cram a mini in there if I try hard enough ;) (and I'm only 6'1 180lbs soaking wet). The 4.7 will be much easier. It still won't be great honestly, but it should fit more like a phone.

The style where we live in mexico is not baggy, that's a us thing. The schools use uniforms which are not baggy either.

This I posted somewhere in there. The 4.7 is only less than 15mm (less than .59") taller and less than 9mm (less than.35") wider than the 5s. Even the 6+ is only 35mm or 1 1/3" taller and 15mm or 1/2" wider than the 5s. I don't even see the extra 1/2" width and 1 1/3" height of the 6 plus making noticeable difference in adult pockets.

Seriously, I can easily fit the 1 1/3" higher and 1/2" (6 plus) wider in my pockets no problem. The 6 is really nothing at half inch taller and third inch wider. Even the pocket in the shirt I have on right now would fit it no problem.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Because I'm a very visual person and a large screen on the palm of my hand excites me.

You have to realize also, that some people may not have the luxury of owning an iPhone, iPad and Macbook Pro. So if mobile is their only device, maybe the largest they can fine is better.

Are you getting the iPhone 6, 4.7 inch?

Why?

Last edited:

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
The style where we live in mexico is not baggy, that's a us thing. The schools use uniforms which are not baggy either.

This I posted somewhere in there. The 4.7 is only less than 15mm (less than .59") taller and less than 9mm (less than.35") wider than the 5s. Even the 6+ is only 35mm or 1 1/3" taller and 15mm or 1/2" wider than the 5s. I don't even see the extra 1/2" width and 1 1/3" height of the 6 plus making noticeable difference in adult pockets.

Seriously, I can easily fit the 1 1/3" higher and 1/2" (6 plus) wider in my pockets no problem. The 6 is really nothing at half inch taller and third inch wider. Even the pocket in the shirt I have on right now would fit it no problem.

Fair enough.

Wait till the lardasses here in the US get ahold of it though :D

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Waiting for pendulum to swing the other way. I use the phone the most. Give us HD voice, great speaker audio, and a compact device. Phablets are stupid.

You'll be waiting for a while.

----------

Well, the absurdity will start when people who bend the phone (read: NOT have the phone spontaneously "bend" on it's own lol) by either sitting on it, or having it in a pocket and twisting it that way. Then the "why is it MY fault when they call it a "phone"" and the "they should replace it for free" will begin.

They will of course, blame Apple for "defective aluminum" or some other BS, and end up convincing themselves that they should be able to wear Wranglers and carry the + in the change pocket while doing the wave at a rodeo.

Even if you NEVER make a call, you will be carrying it around far more than you ever did a tablet because it will still be your primary phone. It makes a big difference if it comfortably fits in a pocket.

I currently have a Note 3, and it easily fits in my pocket.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
One of the interesting angles that has my considering the 5.5" screen, is that the 4.7" is already too big for my smallish hands.

I've been considering that the size of the 4.7 phone is already not 'thumbable' for me, my hands are quite small. The iPhone 5 is as big as a phone can be for me to use it comfortably tapping the screen with my thumb.

If this is the case, then I may as well get the bigger phone with the bigger screen if I have to use two hands anyway.

Perhaps those with bigger hands actually like the 4.7" because they can still use it comfortably with one hand.

AndroidKing

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Hey guys,

I've always been struck with questions when I see people carrying around really big phones like the Galaxy Note, and I see a lot of people really wanting the 5.5 inch iPhone too.

There looks to be a lot of compromises with these devices, mainly portability. It seems like most men would find it tricky fitting in the front pocket of their jeans. It looks cumbersome to use it as a phone holding it to your head. It's difficult or impossible to use one handed.

The main purposes seem to be for someone that is interested in watching a lot of video, playing games or as an e-reading type device in place of an iPad or Kindle.

Asides from that, are there any other reasons people are opting for these big screen phones? Or is it a case of 'bigger=better'?

If you're thinking of getting the 5.5 iPhone, why over the 4.7? How will you carry it and do you own a tablet?

Interested for some discussion on this.
I dunno, iFolk were hating on big screen sizes for years until Apple copied it, then all of a sudden is was a revalation from God.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey guys,

I've always been struck with questions when I see people carrying around really big phones like the Galaxy Note, and I see a lot of people really wanting the 5.5 inch iPhone too.

There looks to be a lot of compromises with these devices, mainly portability. It seems like most men would find it tricky fitting in the front pocket of their jeans. It looks cumbersome to use it as a phone holding it to your head. It's difficult or impossible to use one handed.

The main purposes seem to be for someone that is interested in watching a lot of video, playing games or as an e-reading type device in place of an iPad or Kindle.

Asides from that, are there any other reasons people are opting for these big screen phones? Or is it a case of 'bigger=better'?

If you're thinking of getting the 5.5 iPhone, why over the 4.7? How will you carry it and do you own a tablet?

Interested for some discussion on this.

Apple is trying to kill Samsung Note series! :apple:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am 6'1", 185 pounds, and "tricky" is not a word I would use to desribe fitting a Note in my pocket. I don't see why the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus would be any different.

I want the phone because, despite the larger size being somewhat more cumbersome, a lot more can be done with a larger screened phone. Seeing the "ipad features" makes me believe we will see many more to come from devs (crossing fingers for actual iPad apps running on the 6 Plus). Reading books/comics is nicer, searching the internet is nicer, and typing two handed is nicer. Just a few things off the top of my head there.

I suggest people that are seriously torn by this to go into your provider brick and mortar store and ask if you can see a note and place it in your pocket. If that's not an option, at least you can get the feel of the phone at a Best Buy or something. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. But at leat you will know, rather than assume based on the FUD all over the net.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I suggest people that are seriously torn by this to go into your provider brick and mortar store and ask if you can see a note and place it in your pocket. If that's not an option, at least you can get the feel of the phone at a Best Buy or something. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. But at leat you will know, rather than assume based on the FUD all over the net.

That is good advice. I did just that but with a colleagues Galaxy Note 3, and it reinforced my opinion on the size. It is too big for the clothes I wear and considering I am quite small in size, the phone looks too big when I am using it. As I have said previously, I don't need the large screen because the primary use of my phone is to be a phone.

I would have been happy if the new iPhone had remained a 4" but accept the demand for bigger screens has forced the change. The 4.7" iPhone is bigger than what I have now and will be a large leap in terms of getting used to it in everyday use. The iPhone 6 Plus is bigger again and is impractical in my view for my own needs. If it works for others then great, but having a choice is better because we can buy the size that suits. :)

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
The 5.5 is a Phablet the 4.7 is a Smartphone.

If you have an ipad already you will probably get the 4.7 smartphone, unless you want the huge screen portability at all times. And you didnt want to carry an ipad.

But if you did that why would you have an ipad in the first place.

marillion747

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Blackburn, England
I had a note 2 with a silicon cover and never had a problem fitting it any trouser pockets or jackets for that matter.

For me the size of screen far out ways the "problem" of two handed use, it's just something you automatically get used to overtime anyway.

I had to use the phone two handed but that was never a problem, plus it makes it less likely you'll drop the phone if it's in two hands.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Even the 6+ is only 35mm or 1 1/3" taller and 15mm or 1/2" wider than the 5s. I don't even see the extra 12" width and 1 1/3" height of the 6 plus making noticeable difference in adult pockets

Exaclyy. My 5 is in an Otterbox, but I wont be putting the 6+ in a similar case. Comparing the 2, the 6+ is 20mm longer and 10mm wider, and 1/2 as thick as the phone I never notice in my pockets now, so I honestly cant see it being an issue.

Shirt pockets are a different thing - the 6+ sticks out the top by 15-20mm, but it fits

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Exaclyy. My 5 is in an Otterbox, but I wont be putting the 6+ in a similar case. Comparing the 2, the 6+ is 20mm longer and 10mm wider, and 1/2 as thick as the phone I never notice in my pockets now, so I honestly cant see it being an issue.

Shirt pockets are a different thing - the 6+ sticks out the top by 15-20mm, but it fits

Exactly. I think most peope have the idea it's larger than it really is. Even the 6+ is closer in size to the 5s than the ipad mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.