Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myforwik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2014
Also Australia does not have consumer warranty. It has consumer grantee.

The grantee does not have a time frame of two years, it is based on acceptable quality given expectation. When apple warrant it to work for 1 year, then why would people expect it to work 2 years?

The 2 years is APPLES suggestion after having their arm twisted by the ACCC. The ACCC's official position is that there is no time limit. You can technically walk in to apple store with a iphone 1 and claim replacement under consumer garantee for any failure not caused by your negligence.

The laws are basically untested, and ACCC uses its threats to muscle companies into compliance. They have to weigh up definding themselves agianst bad publicity and the price increases to cover the extra phones they have to give out for free.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
in Australia the typical mentality of these programs/insurance is: 'I am entitled to new phone for any damage I do to it'.

This mentality is all through Australian insurance. Every insurance in australia has an excess of a level not seen in the rest of the world. The reason being is that for some reason australians see insurance as a way to be flippant and/or deliberatly get 'new for old' replacement.

An interesting point you're making. I think you're getting some strange reactions, though, because you haven't said what you're basing this claim on. Where are you getting this information? Do you work in insurance?

OzStriker

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
People, look how poor myforwik's spelling is, I think it is safe to say he or she doesn't know what they are talking about.

I would add more content but just noticed a scratch on my Porsche. I'm now off to set it on fire 'cause I'm an Australian. :)

Cobaye

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2014
You still have no idea what you are talking about and your stupidity is offensive.
It's hard to 'chill' when faced with stupid and ignorant comments stereotyping 22million people.
You talk about a "difference in mentality" yet with apple care plus not existing here you have no way of verifying that.
Australians pay significant premiums for cars, electronics, clothing, electricity, software and almost any product you can name when compared to counties like the US (not exclusively more, but in many many instances). Is it a long bow to pull that Insurances paid by Australians are higher too??
Apple has only very slowly been rolling out its apple care plus, as of late 2013 it was only available in 15 countries total.
The fact that apple apparently intends to roll out apple care plus to Australia would show you to be further full of s#%>. They are not backwards in coming forwards to make a profit, they would NOT be rolling it out in Australia if they were going to make a loss. It makes no sense at all ( as you said)
Naturally apple won't roll out apple care without an excess, they don't in any country on earth, they aren't stupid. Why are you saying they would here? I don't know where you came up with 'nil excess'.
You're talking about 'ifs and ands' ... If apple rolled it out without an excess, well let me tell you IF apple rolled it out in the US without an excess then the same issue would exist.

Quite frankly, I've never committed insurance fraud and don't know anyone who has. I HAVE claimed on insurance, once for my iPad. The fact that I had insurance did nothing to help or stop it slipping out of my bag onto the concrete, Naturally I claimed. That's why I have insurance! That's why I PAY for insurance.
Australians are no different from Americans in that regard. Get your facts right or just stop speaking (writing) now.

People need to chill and actually read what I said.

What I was saying was that IF you offer apple care plus, which is basically phone insurance for accidental damage, then apple have to realise that in australia people then become careless and/or deliberatly negligent more so than if they don't have the insurance.

We know that only about 1 in 9 people actually lose or seriously damage their phone. However 1 in 3 people on insurance lose or damage their phone. Think about that for a second and what it means. Such a discrepancy doesn't seem to exist in the USA or most other countries.

Basically there is a difference in mentality. In most counteries Apple care plus is understood to be 'a backup should i accidentally damage my phone'. However in Australia the typical mentality of these programs/insurance is: 'I am entitled to new phone for any damage I do to it'.

This mentality is all through Australian insurance. Every insurance in australia has an excess of a level not seen in the rest of the world. The reason being is that for some reason australians see insurance as a way to be flippant and/or deliberatly get 'new for old' replacement.
Apple has VERY slowly rolled out their apple care plus around the world, they would NOT roll it out in Australia if they thought it would cost them money, it makes no sense. It is therefore is safe to assume that Australians DON'T

I will get apple care plus if its a <$150. As it will be a great deal. Typical insurance for phones is $99/year plus $200 excess. All I am saying is that if apple does apple care plus with no excess, it will get abused far more than it does in other counteries by people who claim damage from outright negligence and deliberate 'new for old' scams, rather than just accidental damage.

Of course apple probably already know all this: its is the main reason why apple care plus does not even exist in australia yet.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
For countries like Australia where 2 years minimum is the mandatory statutory warranty on items such as a rMBP Applecare should be 4 years not three, because the idea of Applecare is to extend the warranty by 2 years from the obligatory 1 year minimum in the USofA

----------

... the government basically twisted apples arm and made them give 2 year coverage without apple care...

The govt. did not 'twist Apple's arm' It is just a part of the normal Australian consumer law that items have to be covered for a 'reasonable period', it is undetermined what 'reasonable' means. It has been interpreted by the courts that for something like a $3000 rMBP which is an expensive, well made high quality item that one year is not 'reasonable'. In fact you are free to argue whether 2 years is enough for a particular item.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
As usual, an Applecare thread and the Apple apologists are out in force. I guess some people care more about APPL than consumers.

Apple should offer a decent warranty in the first place. 1 year standard is poor, I'm quite happy the UK has fairly decent consumer laws (even if we have to fight for them to be understood by retailers).

Playgear

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
Just got an email from Apple notifying me that it has been released.
I guess this doesn't upgrade those who already have the regular 'AppleCare Protection Plan for iPad' though...

A few family members got iPad Airs around Christmas time in December 2013, and all the iPads were enrolled in the 'AppleCare Protection Plan for iPad' which I believed was exactly the same as what the U.S. called 'AppleCare+'. The only reason AppleCare was purchased was because of the 'two incidents' that are supposed to be covered for an additional small fee.

However, it seems that the APP that the iPads are enrolled in does not cover the two incidents and is effectively useless. Pretty annoyed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.