Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingcodez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2009
China
I live in China and brought over my AT&T iPhone 4S, but the thing is locked and is useless over here. I could buy a $30-50 Gevey SIM but I've had bad experiences with that in the past. I currently use a Chinese iPhone 4, but the camera is lacking.

I know there was some law about unlocks in the US, has that trickled down yet? Am I correct in assuming that unlocks are now impossible through jailbreaking on 7.1+?

There are IMEI seller things around, does that really work? It just seems too expensive to buy for a $100 phone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Unlocking is simply legal now in US, but that doesn't change how it's done or anything like that (at least it hasn't so far).

You basically need to get it unlocked from the carrier that it is locked to or use some service (typically not cheap) to do it for you.

Kingcodez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2009
China
Ugh, I called ATT a few times, but after some unsuccessful unlock attempts I now need to track down the phone number of the original owner, so they can check and make sure the phone was on their network with that IMEI for at least six months. I used it with a prepaid SIM for two years, but I never registered the IMEI with them, so I am SOL on that front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.