Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I am now in the need of running Windows 7 or Windows 8 on my mac for some of my Work Apps. Running Mavericks on my MacBook Air. After reading this thread, it's evident that Parallels is expensive, and their upgrade model is pretty poor (Dropping $50+ a year for a new version).

Appreciate the insight, will keep searching for a solution to my needs

I agree with this. I had parallels 6 for a while. Where most other apps only require an update, parallels requires you to pay for the upgrade to the next iteration. Made me very frustrated with parallels, along with the terrible looking = sign that was all over the icons and windows. I have used both, and liked fusion much more. Don't know about fusion right now though.

li21

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
MOD: Can we change the thread title to include VirtualBox?

My question:
Can I use Virutualbox to run Windows video editing software?
I love cyberlink Powerdirector which is PC only..
I do heaps of video editing and rendering large MP4 files using this.

Currently a PC user
I am thinking of getting a Macbook Pro 13" Retina and using virutalization to keep on using this software.

Will Virtualbox do the job or will it struggle with CPU intensive tasks?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

Neither Parallels Desktop 9 or VMWare Fusion 6 are current products anymore, so there doesn't seem to be much value in continuing this particular thread at this point.

flybub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011

My question:
Can I use Virutualbox to run Windows video editing software?
I love cyberlink Powerdirector which is PC only..
I do heaps of video editing and rendering large MP4 files using this.

Currently a PC user
I am thinking of getting a Macbook Pro 13" Retina and using virutalization to keep on using this software.

Will Virtualbox do the job or will it struggle with CPU intensive tasks?
I'm using virtualbox and it is OK for being free. I only use Windows because I have to for 1 program for school. Other than that I wouldn't touch any virtualization software

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.