Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

welshwizard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
just had new mac pros installed in work. They look the business and are very fast. One small (big) design fault, do not spill a cup of water or any liquid on the desk near computer the fan at bottom very quickly will suck it up and end of computer!
as my colleague found out

welshwizard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
your right but i think it drawn in air from the bottom, either way best to raise it of the desk just in case

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
This is not the 1st post about this issue. Even though it won't suck the water in, I personally still think that it's not a good idea to put a drink next to the Mac Pro (no matter it's new or old).

And this is harly considered as a design fault. It's not normal to design a computer that have water right at it's base.

Last edited:
Reactions: orph

cypriot

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
just had new mac pros installed in work. They look the business and are very fast. One small (big) design fault, do not spill a cup of water or any liquid on the desk near computer the fan at bottom very quickly will suck it up and end of computer!

Your friends water cup has design faults :) or he is using it wrongly.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Lots of people have beverages at their work space. I simple solution is to place something between the Mac Pro and the desk itself that is at least 1/2" thick. A simple piece of wood would suffice with a finished surface on top. Think of it as a reverse of a coffee coaster.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

So are you saying that the nMP produces sufficient air intake that it actually vacuumed liquid into the machine? Sounds like it was defective OOTB.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I call ********.

There is no fan at the bottom. And the fan at the top doesn't generate enough air movement to pull a liquid off the desk and up into the computer.

Sounds like someone dumped something *on* the Mac Pro (at the top), rather then at the bottom, then tried to cover up their ass after blowing out such an expensive rig.

-SC

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I call ********.

There is no fan at the bottom. And the fan at the top doesn't generate enough air movement to pull a liquid off the desk and up into the computer.

Sounds like someone dumped something *on* the Mac Pro (at the top), rather then at the bottom, then tried to cover up their ass after blowing out such an expensive rig.

-SC

My thoughts too, but you were a little less subtle than I. ;)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The problem isn't the computer design. The problem is your colleague spilled water onto the computer.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Try to pull water with any fan and you just will fail.

Impossible that a MacPro can suck water, you will need an engine like a vacuum cleaner.

welshwizard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
thanks for all your responses, we have established that the fan is at the top but it most definitely has an air intake at the bottom, this will also take in water coffee coke beer or any other liquid accidentally spilt in the area.
i still hold that this is bad design on the part of apple, (gasp)
It would have not happened on the previous tower as it an had aluminum casing
or lets say a graid drive or nearly all devices that have some kind of feet to raise it.
if i was an industrial designer i would be considering this as a practicality .

A Hobo

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Somewhere between Here and There
thanks for all your responses, we have established that the fan is at the top but it most definitely has an air intake at the bottom, this will also take in water coffee coke beer or any other liquid accidentally spilt in the area.
or lets say a graid drive or nearly all devices that have some kind of feet to raise it.

No, it will not, i just now tested this with a mac pro and placed it running on top of a wet desk. no vacuum effect what so ever. Off to the wasteland with you!

Last edited:

welshwizard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
No, it will not, i just now tested this with a mac pro and placed it running on top of a wet desk. no vacuum effect what so ever. Off to the wasteland with you!

Ok Lukas, I must have imaged what I saw happen right in front of my eyes
thanks for putting me right on that

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008

This is hilarious.

Welp, you'd better get that Mac Pro checked out. I'm sure Apple would be very interested in how your computer turned into a Dyson, because that's the kinda suction you'd need to do what you claim. I mean, hell, that must have been some screw up at the factory- installing a turbine that moves approximately 200 times more air then all the other Mac Pros.

****, you've probably got a one of a kind system there! You should put it on eBay with video evidence of this miraculous feat. That thing could be worth tens of thousands of dollars!

-SC

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Ok Lukas, I must have imaged what I saw happen right in front of my eyes
thanks for putting me right on that

We'd very much like video then, because I've never noticed my fans producing suction from their updraft.

jclmavg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2014
your right but i think it drawn in air from the bottom, either way best to raise it of the desk just in case
It 'sucks' in dust, not fluids. And there's no reason why there should be enough suction either, since there exists no vacuum to speak of.

nox-uk

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2012
I'd be more scared of picking up the new Mac Pro and trying to drink from it - it's not much bigger than my coffee cup :D

Nox

MacUserT

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014
Netherlands
I just bought a standard for the Mac Pro after paying € 1.000 (excluding taxes) repair costs for spilling water. Unfortunately, there are no "standard" standards, so I had to buy something that could work as a good standard. Don't want to go through this soap opera again.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Like turning notebooks upside down immediately after a spill letting gravity do it's stuff picking your black can up sharpish after spilling drink is a no brainer. It only has one moving part with the fan so picking it up fast like a quarterback or scrum half isn't a problem.

Having had to clean one out that was hardly black working in a demolition site office they can take the world of abuse covered in thick dust - but water will fry anything never mind just a 6,1.

Vasilioskn

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
New York
Tell your coworker not to keep drinks near ANY computer or electrical device. Also, I feel he is the type of person that needs to be told NOT to put a glass cellular phone (or ANY item structured with glass) in his back pocket and SIT on it. Oh and one last thing... If you drop your iphone on concrete (ehhh or anything that has glass) it probably will ... OMG break!

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Yeah lots of people have drinks at their desk, they shouldn't, or have it set up so as it couldn't damage equipment.

I spilled a coke on my first laptop. Fortunately, in a sense, it was a work laptop and they paid to fix it. Basically the equivalent of driving a Ferrari into a tree just after you got it (a not uncommon situation I understand, as new owners take them for spins and don't understand how much power they have). After that I learned, drinks and electronics don't mix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.