Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hanguolaohu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
I have an app on my iPhone called "Chrontacts" that allows me to see all the recent contacts I've added in a chronological order. This is very useful for socially active people keeping track of new contacts. I'm trying to create the same functionality with Lion Address Book Smart Groups, but have been having trouble. I chose the fields in this order:

"Date" > "Is Within" > "30" > "days"

In my mind this translates to: "All contacts with date added within the past 30 days". But my Smart Group is turning out blank. Perhaps my logic is mistaken in believing the "Date" field means "Date Added"? I have not figured out another method. Any advice would be much appreciated!

HL

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
I have an app on my iPhone called "Chrontacts" that allows me to see all the recent contacts I've added in a chronological order. This is very useful for socially active people keeping track of new contacts. I'm trying to create the same functionality with Lion Address Book Smart Groups, but have been having trouble. I chose the fields in this order:

"Date" > "Is Within" > "30" > "days"

In my mind this translates to: "All contacts with date added within the past 30 days". But my Smart Group is turning out blank. Perhaps my logic is mistaken in believing the "Date" field means "Date Added"? I have not figured out another method. Any advice would be much appreciated!

HL
I don't think "Date" is equivalent to Date Added. "Date" seems to refer to birthday & anniversary fields.

About the closest I could come up with (quickly) was Card > Has Changed In > XX > days

hanguolaohu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Yeah probably. It took Apple so long to include "Date Added" within the Finder. How long will it take for Address Book??? :mad:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yeah probably. It took Apple so long to include "Date Added" within the Finder. How long will it take for Address Book??? :mad:
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I see limited, if any, benefit to having "date added" in Address Book.

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I see limited, if any, benefit to having "date added" in Address Book.

Part of the problem is what we expect to be in the Date Added field. Is it the date/time the card was entered into Address Book on the Mac? The date/time it was created in its original source?

Let's say I create a new contact on my iPhone while I'm on a vacation. The change isn't sync'd to my Mac for a week. What should the "Date Added" be on the Mac side? Or when restoring from a time machine backup? Etc.

hanguolaohu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Not bad at all!

@ samh, using "Card > Has Changed In > XX > days" was not the exact functionality I was looking for, as it includes cards that were created AND modified, but still, this is MUCH more helpful than not having it! So thank you! :)

Ideally in the future, there would be an option for "Date Created" since these are new contacts. Either on iPhone or Mac.

@ GGJstudios, the point is to keep simple track of new contacts.

app4me

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2009
Dallas, TX
Apple needs this bad!!!

I have looked everywhere for this!! I hope someone finds a way to see most recent added contacts

Someone in this thread mentioned no one needs it.. YES YES YES we do. Everybody wants it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.