Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SgtPepper23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Los Angeles, California
Hello all;

i'm wondering about some of the compatibility issues (if any) would exist when the new OSes are released. I'm going to update my phone to iOS 8 as soon as i can, but holding out on OS X Yosemite because of hardware changes that i want to make to my laptop (as in, keeping my current machine but installing new a new hard drive). With iOS 8, there'll be some things that are not compatible with Mavericks, yes, but would the same be true with iCloud services? Anyone suspect any issues if i were to keep one OS and update to another?

imasterus

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
My case is the reverse: I have iPhone 4 which can't be updated to iOS 8 and is running iOS 7, and OS X Yosemite on my MacBook Air. I know that I won't use iCloud Drive since it makes iCloud unavailable on my iPhone. So, I do hope that old iCloud documents sync will be available as an option in Yosemite.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
I know this: while I haven't used Yosemite extensively, and have not used iOS 8 at all, I know once you enable iCloud Drive, Mevericks or earlier systems will not be able to utilize it. It's for Yosemite and iOS 8 alone. I think you'd lose some functionality in terms of, say, Pages/Keynote/Numbers, as you may not be able to access files.

Bottom line: recommend you wait until every device you have is on iOS 8 AND Yosemite before pulling the trigger on iCloud Drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.