Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Which is why im surprised you decided to post this rant.

It not really a rant, its correcting a very misleading bit of information that you posted. And it wouldn't have been necessary had you just admitted it was wrong rather then try to digress into a high school essay about the judicial government/etc. Have a read back of exactly what you suggested and then how you waffled about anything but the actual point where you were wrong. Someone reading that and your subsequent posts could very easily think they can get out of this situation by getting a third party to buy/return the stolen product.

He did not have legal title which should have been discerned before a credit was mentioned or promised

Even after my "rant" you're still labouring this redundant point. Even if they'd deliberately duped the OP into shipping the laptop back, they'd have done nothing wrong and the OP would have absolutely no recourse against them based on any such promises.

Last edited:

ClayMac

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2008
getting a third party to buy/return the stolen product.

To avoid liability shouldn't Apple just not accept returns or exchanges of merchandise from a third party? As far as online purchases go I normally settle these issues at one of the Apple stores near me yet I hear that this is not the case in Europe/elsewhere. Do you return online orders at your Apple store?

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Mr.Craigslist bought Apple laptop, kept it past the 14 day return policy but did not like it due some issues, the heavy weight of the laptop being the most influential factor.

I think it highly likely that AnonDP is, in fact, Mr. Craigslist. With a Herring. In the Study.

OP, unfortunately, it sounds as though you are SOL.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
There is nothing wrong with selling or buying on Craigslist but it should be common sense that 1. do the transaction in a public place with security 2. don't trust the words of a stranger that you'll never see again. 2. the item maybe stolen, buyer beware.

I an Monday morning quarter back this transaction but common sense should have taken over... I do this myself when buying Apple products you can easily call Apple, meet at an Apple store or even look up online too see if the serial has been flagged. I've done it with phones met at the cell store to make sure the phone was usable prior to buying. If the seller refuses then back away.

Granted you weren't the buyer but what made you think Apple would grant a refund for property neither you or your family member originally purchased?

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
Trying to unravel the backstory is pointless. The employees at the store made a verbal (is there any documentation?) contract with with the OP for the gift card. I would go to the store (with an authority figure if need be) with the tracking number etc and demand they fulfill their end of the deal. A miscommunication between the store and corporate is not YOUR problem. If the OP has now made a new agreement that supersedes his/her original agreement then all bets are off.

But often employees say something or promise something they don't have the actual authority of the company to provide. It's like if I were selling cars for Chevrolet and you came in saying you bought a truck off craigslist and wanted to trade for a new one and the truck you bought was stolen. Even if I promised you to give you to full value of the truck before finding out it was stolen, 1.) GM would probably immediately fire me for offering to give you $40,000 for a used truck, and 2.) I'm pretty sure they have legalese that would cover a lower level employee promising something out of their scope.

So even then, once the company finds out it's stolen, they could have chose to call the cops and had it returned through the legal system (which they may have, the OP wasn't informed if they did or not). And has anyone here had the unfortunately experience of purchasing stolen property? Anyone knows what happens when you find out it's stolen and the authorities are involved? That's right, it gets confiscated and returned to the original owner if at all possible.

ClayMac

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2008
But often employees say something or promise something they don't have the actual authority of the company to provide. 1.) GM would probably immediately fire me for offering to give you $40,000 for a used truck

Yeah this is actually part of the "full story" we are missing. Im pretty sure I have had a car dealer give make me an offer on my used car before they checked the VIN in the past but now I think they "test drive" the vehicle before saying anything idk. All of this lies within some legal grey area. I was probably being too technical in my original assessment of things given the limited evidence.

2.) I'm pretty sure they have legalese that would cover a lower level employee promising something out of their scope.

Yeah errors and omissions liability coverage or something. These are all minor sales in the grand scheme but still a misdiagnosis of say a bad battery or something and Bam!

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
To avoid liability shouldn't Apple just not accept returns or exchanges of merchandise from a third party? As far as online purchases go I normally settle these issues at one of the Apple stores near me yet I hear that this is not the case in Europe/elsewhere. Do you return online orders at your Apple store?

I believe in the UK you can exchange/refund in store although I've never needed to try it.

They have no liability in circumstances such as this, even if they'd given the OP the gift card they would have been within their rights to cancel it once they realised the machine was stolen. The only way Apple could be left holding the can is if they refunded in cash and then couldn't trace the OP to recover their money.

Generally companies will give credit/gift cards to third parties in the UK. They do this to prevent other abuse (buying item elsewhere then returning to a store where its priced higher for example). Its hard for them to blanket refuse to deal with third parties as where do you draw the line, gifts/prizes/etc?

doftin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Guys, I have some updates. 2 days ago, I wrote an email which explains whole story and I send it to Tim Cook email address which I found on google. He was my only hope after all phone conversation with customer care. 1 day later I got a call from one of Apple Online Store's Executive. She said, she reviewed all records and they were so sorry for this. And she continued, I am right because the person in Apple Store and Apple Care should have mentioned it was flagged and should informed me about it for sure. She also confirmed that she saw there was a note on the account which clearly says, I will get a gift card. She told that she also talked with managers and this will not happen again for another customer. In my head I was like, oh I am getting my gift card! However, she continued they can't do anything for my situation and they will help me if I call Police and they will release all information about this transaction. I was like, really? Is this help or mandatory thing if the police involves the situation. I asked her what happens if I sue Apple? She said they will not help than, I was laughing ;)

I told them, you are selling a computer for 3.000$ and you are proud because Apple computers have good resale value. I asked her, where people buy used or brand new computer for cheaper? Mostly eBay or Craigslist. So buying computer from there is legal. She said I am completely right and they should have inform me it was flagged before I sent it back them. Same story every-time.

I am about give up guys, back and forth, I spent so much time on this. The only thing that I did wrong was TRUSTING APPLE. This was a good life experience and bad way to start my life after university. I wished this was never happened. Shame on that Craigslist guy but shame on twice on Apple for playing with us! I still can't believe, Apple did something like that.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
Guys, I have some updates. 2 days ago, I wrote an email which explains whole story and I send it to Tim Cook email address which I found on google. He was my only hope after all phone conversation with customer care. 1 day later I got a call from one of Apple Online Store's Executive. She said, she reviewed all records and they were so sorry for this. And she continued, I am right because the person in Apple Store and Apple Care should have mentioned it was flagged and should informed me about it for sure. She also confirmed that she saw there was a note on the account which clearly says, I will get a gift card. She told that she also talked with managers and this will not happen again for another customer. In my head I was like, oh I am getting my gift card! However, she continued they can't do anything for my situation and they will help me if I call Police and they will release all information about this transaction. I was like, really? Is this help or mandatory thing if the police involves the situation. I asked her what happens if I sue Apple? She said they will not help than, I was laughing ;)

I told them, you are selling a computer for 3.000$ and you are proud because Apple computers have good resale value. I asked her, where people buy used or brand new computer for cheaper? Mostly eBay or Craigslist. So buying computer from there is legal. She said I am completely right and they should have inform me it was flagged before I sent it back them. Same story every-time.

I am about give up guys, back and forth, I spent so much time on this. The only thing that I did wrong was TRUSTING APPLE. This was a good life experience and bad way to start my life after university. I wished this was never happened. Shame on that Craigslist guy but shame on twice on Apple for playing with us! I still can't believe, Apple did something like that.

Do you finally realize what is going on? Your uncle bought a stolen laptop or else one that should have been returned to Apple. This means Apple is not going to give you any money for it whether cash or gift card because you gave Apple no money for it. As good as Apple customer service may be u doubt they are in the habit of giving away computers for free.

Your uncle bought a used product from a shady source, the CL guy, and this is the consequence of that purchase. Apple told you to talk to the police because your only recourse at this point is to find the CL guy and hope to get your money back from him.

Again, stop blaming Apple for a mistake you and your uncle made by trusting a CL seller.

doftin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Do you finally realize what is going on? Your uncle bought a stolen laptop or else one that should have been returned to Apple. This means Apple is not going to give you any money for it whether cash or gift card because you gave Apple no money for it. As good as Apple customer service may be u doubt they are in the habit of giving away computers for free.

Your uncle bought a used product from a shady source, the CL guy, and this is the consequence of that purchase. Apple told you to talk to the police because your only recourse at this point is to find the CL guy and hope to get your money back from him.

Again, stop blaming Apple for a mistake you and your uncle made by trusting a CL seller.

After all those responds and comments, you still didnt get the point. The way we treated by Apple, was so unprofessional and not fair at all.

Last edited:

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
After all those responds and comments, you still didnt get the point.

No, you are missing the point that Apple couldn't trust you, they couldn't verify whether you were the original person who owed them an MBP, someone innocent or whatever, but you did claim to have the MBP.

The only mistaken trust was your Uncle's trust in the CL seller.

johnnydee

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2009
The employees simply assumed you owned the computer so you would receive a gift card they didn't know that someone ekse bought it and had received a replacement from apple.
You need to contact teh police and get help from Apple!

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
After all those responds and comments, you still didnt get the point. The way we treated by Apple, was so unprofessional and not fair at all.

Apple's professional attitude would be to reclaim their property which should have been returned to them before this incident not to give you money you were not due.

I hate to use such a cliche but life isn't fair. Anytime you buy a used product you are taking a risk that you would not have if you purchased brand new from apple or an authorized retailer. Some people feel that risk is worth the money they save by buying used.

It has been mentioned more than once in this thread, the buyer of stolen merchandise gets screwed, they lose the merchandise they bought and the money they paid for that merchandise. This is what happened to you.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011

your crap got repo'd by apple

the end

Last edited:

ClayMac

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2008

You went to the Apple store to return a used laptop that your uncle bought from some random guy on CL for $1700 and expected them to give you credit for a brand new computer. You should have never gone to the store without first securing the consent/support of the original owner and receipt. I would suggest that you:

1. contact the police
2. turn over phone number(s) and the email address of the man who sold your uncle the computer
3 report this to craigslist
4. contact Apple so that they know you have filed a police report
5. have no further contact with the seller.
6. go on with your life honestly

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010

You're STILL missing the point. Whether their system flagged it up the instant you brought it in with strobe lights and claxons and the shop front shutters rolling down, or several hours/days later when you were in process of mailing it off, it wasn't your laptop it was there's.

It didn't belong to the guy you think you 'bought' it from, he hadn't paid for it so it wasn't his to 'sell'.

If the guys in the shop had been as on the ball as you want them to be (with instant 100 percent accurate access to the machines status) then they'd have taken the machine from you there and then and you'd still be down a macbook.

Even if they'd only cottoned onto it after the gift card was issued they'd have

A rescinded the gift card or, if you'd already spent it on another machine:

B informed the relevant authorities to recover the goods you bought with that card.

The end result for you remains the same.

We all know they're a big big company with umpteen billions in the bank but cutting you a break isn't making an exception, its establishing a precedent that would come back and bite them in the butt.

The only way you ever get to keep goods that turn out to be stolen is if the true owner is willing to sell and you cough up dough a second time.

As for Apple being unprofessional in all this - if your Uncle had gone into the Apple store along with Mr Craiglist and been told the laptop looked legit and safe to buy before he handed over the dough you might have cause to complain.

but for obvious reasons they don't offer that health check, and its pretty evident your Uncle didn't try.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
My last word on the matter - do what Apple have said contact the police.

Its highly unlikely but just possible that Mr Craiglist was the person Apple have on file as the intended recipient of the laptop; human stupidity sometimes knows no bounds.

The name and address of the person who should have got /paid for the laptop isn't something they'll share with you directly, but law enforcement in course of an investigation is a different story.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011

In a previous post I noted: "You know, we are all sitting here trying to figure out what really happened, but we simply do not know all the history. I also doubt Apple would try and "trick" him into returning the computer. There's simply no reason Apple wouldn't have given him the correct details right up front; I think they did and the OP just misunderstood.

What I'm not seeing here (unless I missed it), is what steps the OP and uncle are taking to pursue the Craigslist seller. I know I'd do my best to bring the guy who scammed me to justice.

They have some history there to include the original Craigslist posting, the sellers phone number, etc.

There is also information at Apple, like the sellers name, address, phone number, CC info, etc., that the police could use to try and bring this guy to justice."

So instead of complaining that Apple is not giving you a gift certificate, what have you and your uncle done to track down and/or report the guy who cheated him?

Apple has offered to help, so why not take them up on it?

It's your uncle's fault he got taken advantage of, not Apple's.

So, how are you helping yourself??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.