Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
As many of you likely know, the iPhone 6 Plus has a downscaled resolution of 1920x1080, while it has a virtual resolution of 2208x1242 that apps are built for. The reason Apple went for a 1920x1080 screen is likely that these panels are cheaper, more available, and that there was a low availability of 2208x1242 displays.

So my thinking is that Apple will release a future iPhone model with a 2208x1242 resolution because:
1) no downscaling overhead required and a 1:1 pixel mapping;
2) it's a marketable improvement on the previous iPhone; and
3) there is no additional work for developers since they would already be developing apps for the virtual 2208x1242 resolution.

This latter reason might be why the 6s Plus could see an updated screen resolution since it's still like developing for the iPhone 6 Plus.

What do you think? Will it happen for the iPhone 6s/7 Plus, or will we see an altogether new resolution for the iPhone 7 Plus? Or will the iPhone 7 take the higher resolution (higher PPI) and a new resolution for the iPhone 7 Plus?

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I think the 6+ isn't even delivered yet and you are talking about something that is two years away contributing to yet another thread out of hundreds created in the last 24hrs. Might want to speculate about this sort of thing once this new release has cooled down.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I think your post is logical. I'd also imagine battery life came into play here. Native 2208x1242 probably didn't fit into their acceptable spec for battery life given thinness of the phone. And honestly I think we're starting to enter the realm of diminishing returns here on ppi.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
I think your post is logical. I'd also imagine battery life came into play here. Native 2208x1242 probably didn't fit into their acceptable spec for battery life given thinness of the phone. And honestly I think we're starting to enter the realm of diminishing returns here on ppi.

And I think even though it would be a jump from 401 to 462 ppi, I only see it being ever so slightly sharper than the 5s Retina Display when I hold it closely, so at this point, it is kind of like browsing Twitter with either 100 or 200mbps. Not many people (very few, very very few actually) would see the difference between 1080p and 1242p.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I'd rather have a 4k iPhone. No one is going to care about the downscaling on a 400ppi screen. :rolleyes:

Are you being serious about the 4K iPhone, at least on the resolution? 1920x1080 is barely necessary, and most TVs normal people can afford don't top 1080. I'd rather see better battery life than 4K displays, especially since I can't ever see myself buying a 5.5-inch phone. It's enough adjustment to the 6, and the screen looks great even without the higher resolution of the 6 Plus.

Also, my prediction for the 6s and/or 7 lines: Three phones. iPhone 6s mini, 4 inches (a blend of the 5s and 6 because I think there's still a market for 4-inch phones, especially if NFC is added for Apple Pay support); iPhone 6s, which is exactly what you think it is; iPhone 6s Plus, again what you think it is.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
And I think even though it would be a jump from 401 to 462 ppi, I only see it being ever so slightly sharper than the 5s Retina Display when I hold it closely, so at this point, it is kind of like browsing Twitter with either 100 or 200mbps. Not many people (very few, very very few actually) would see the difference between 1080p and 1242p.

Right. I think it would appease spec junkies more just to say "it has more pixels than my HDTV!" than it would any real world visual benefit. The LG G3 and Galaxy Note 4 going to 2560x1440 QHD displays, while impressive and inconceivable a few years ago, does very little in the way of actual visual benefit and probably harms performance and battery life more in comparison.

Android manufacturers are on a constant grind for differentiation and will take margin losses to stand out vs the iPhone's brand loyalty. They can't compete on design or cohesiveness within an ecosystem of devices (iOS, OS X, iCloud) so they must get spec-happy so their numbers look higher on a comparison chart or in marketing materials regardless of true user benefit.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
I'd highly doubt they change the resolution for the 6s. It makes a lot of sense for the 7, though.

tekkt0r

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
I don't understand the logic in a 4K display for a 5 to 7 inch screen. On the 5S i could occassionally catch some pixels, but it was very fleeting. With the 6+ I haven't seen a single one. I've tried very, very hard. The screen is perfect. A friend of mine has the LG G3 w/ a 4K screen. It doesn't look any better than mine. Neither of us can see a pixel. 4K screen are just... stupid on small devices. Marketing gimmick.

What I would like to see, however, is Apple move to OLED eventually. OLED displays are outstanding in contrast (obviously). I found myself wishing for one while I read an eBook on my 6+ last night in bed. I had the white text on black background and could see a LOT of backlight bleeding. It was actually a little distracting.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple moved to OLED in the iPhone 7.

Aren't they using OLED for the :apple:Watch?

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Are you being serious about the 4K iPhone, at least on the resolution? 1920x1080 is barely necessary, and most TVs normal people can afford don't top 1080. I'd rather see better battery life than 4K displays, especially since I can't ever see myself buying a 5.5-inch phone. It's enough adjustment to the 6, and the screen looks great even without the higher resolution of the 6 Plus.

Also, my prediction for the 6s and/or 7 lines: Three phones. iPhone 6s mini, 4 inches (a blend of the 5s and 6 because I think there's still a market for 4-inch phones, especially if NFC is added for Apple Pay support); iPhone 6s, which is exactly what you think it is; iPhone 6s Plus, again what you think it is.

Totally not serious. I was making a point how if they just care about resolution, we might as well go all the way. I'm fine with my 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus :)

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I don't understand the logic in a 4K display for a 5 to 7 inch screen.

Me neither :confused:

On the 5S i could occassionally catch some pixels, but it was very fleeting. With the 6+ I haven't seen a single one. I've tried very, very hard. The screen is perfect.

Even on the 5s the only way you can even see a pixel is if you hold it really close to your face and try to make one out, otherwise you would never notice in real world usage.

A friend of mine has the LG G3 w/ a 4K screen. It doesn't look any better than mine. Neither of us can see a pixel. 4K screen are just... stupid on small devices. Marketing gimmick.

Yup, I agree. Not to mention 4k screens are a waste of battery life and processing power. You could simply have a 400+ PPI screen with even greater battery life and is even faster.

It kind of reminds me of the megapixel race on cameras to try and get gullible customers to buy who don't know what really matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.