Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nm9277

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
I doubt it would ever get the A6. IOS9 will need an A7 or better and they will not release a new design that's obsolete next year. I also doubt the Touch 6 will be released this fall alongside the iPhone 6 since Apple is releasing so many products this fall that they will not have time for the Touch (iWatch, iPads, iPhone, Macs, etc.). If they do update the Touch, expect it spring 2015.

Apple isn't gonna release it in spring 2015, every year, it's been released in September or October, mainly Oct. now! It's been two years since the iPod 5 release and the iwatch hasn't been confirmed either, there's only rumors about it, I expect a iPod touch 6g, but idk, but most likely, yes

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Apple isn't gonna release it in spring 2015, every year, it's been released in September or October, mainly Oct. now! It's been two years since the iPod 5 release and the iwatch hasn't been confirmed either, there's only rumors about it, I expect a iPod touch 6g, but idk, but most likely, yes

It had always been the fall in the past but things change. The Touch is no longer one of Apple's main products so they will fit it in when they have some downtime (spring 2015).

Apple has to release an iWatch now after the hype. The predicted iWatch is included in the current Apple stock price. If Apple doesn't announce on the 9th, the stock will drop 10-15%.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Nobody needs an A6 processor in iPod Touch. It isn't designed for that purpose where raw performance is critical to the usefulness of the device. If this is important to you, you must buy an iPhone.

You are an apple shill.

Shocker! Some people don't want an iPhone, they want an iPod Touch with non-prehistoric specs.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
You are an apple shill.

Shocker! Some people don't want an iPhone, they want an iPod Touch with non-prehistoric specs.

I think some people want an iPod Touch with flagship iPhone specs at a fraction of the price which isn't going to happen.

6r4ff3r

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2014
I think some people want an iPod Touch with flagship iPhone specs at a fraction of the price which isn't going to happen.

We had iPhone 4 and iPod touch with the same A4 SoC, although the clocks are different, and RAM was 512 and 256... But SoC IS THE SAME.

So, whats your complex? iPod touch needs A7 minimum.

nm9277

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
Apple isn't getting many iPod sales bcuz in 2013, people thought the iPod 6 will release, but now it's 2014 and people think it's gonna release now, if apple releases iPod touch 6g this year on sept. 9 in 4 days, their iPod sales will go high again, I have a iPod 4g currently, I was gonna buy iPod 5 last year but I think the 6g is releasing this year, so I've been waiting, I really hope they release it

6r4ff3r

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2014
Is Apple going to release a 6th gen iPod touch? and why is Apple still

My personal fact is i will think about another iPod when my 4gen will break or i'll can't use my diary apps in here. At this moment i consider the 5gen expensive even with price cut. For less Than 300 euros i can buy here at this moment i write this post, an iPhone 4s "new", with 8gb and 3.5" display only but with all advantages of having a smartphone. Tim Cook and folks don't have respect for iPod lineup since jobs left...

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of an update to the current iPod touch. An A7 chip would give it some relevance with current Apps, without having to redesign a product that is far from being even 5th-most important.

I find it wholly unlikely though, that a 6th gen iPod touch with a 4.7" display panel will be unveiled alongside the iPhone.

The iPod touch, as it stands, fills a great market segment. It is a great handheld gaming device for the younger generation, and a great entry level iOS device for many. It is also decently priced. The current design is also quite nice. The only thing they really should do is update the chipset to A7, so that it can continue to run newer Apps/Games.

----------

Tim Cook and folks don't have respect for iPod lineup since jobs left...

Hardly. They sell 10s of millions, close to a 100 million $500+ iPods a year...they are just called iPhone.

The muted product line that is strictly a music player, or in the case of iPod touch, an entry level iOS gaming device for youth, is not a primary concern. Its a good thing. If people were still more interested in cheaper dedicated music players, iPhone would be floundering and Apple making far less money. Thankfully, that is not the case.

----------

You are an apple shill.

"Some" being the operative word.

The operative word would have to be "Enough" for you to get your wish. It would have to be "Enough" for me to agree that Apple should grant that wish.

That said, I'm pretty sure you'll see the current iPod touch get a spec bump with the A7.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
One thing I want to add, is that the iPod actually somewhat supports some iPhone sales in the future, in my opinion. A lot of teens that have an iPhone now, probably had an iPod touch, or a friend who had an iPod touch in the past. They probably used it, liked it, and wanted a phone that could do all of that stuff. It gives kids a sense of what they could get for a smartphone, whereas with Android they have to actually get a straight up Android smartphone to see what it will be like.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
One thing I want to add, is that the iPod actually somewhat supports some iPhone sales in the future, in my opinion. A lot of teens that have an iPhone now, probably had an iPod touch, or a friend who had an iPod touch in the past. They probably used it, liked it, and wanted a phone that could do all of that stuff. It gives kids a sense of what they could get for a smartphone, whereas with Android they have to actually get a straight up Android smartphone to see what it will be like.

Now that it imessage's and will FT, totally makes sense.

dangerstranger

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
October 2014?

Seems the odds of an iPod Touch 6G just dropped to zero for a while.

Or is there still a chance for an October release? Thoughts?

Panther71

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Cham-Bana, IL
I've been trying to figure out if the price drop on iPods was an action to sell of the inventory of a device that won't be updated, or was it a ploy to dump the inventory to make room for an updated device. I may wait until October to see if there is an announcement and then decide to either buy a 5G or wait longer. I did notice there is a 128 GB iPhone 6. That would be a nice addition to the iPod lineup.

nm9277

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
I'm pretty sure there's a chance for the iPod 6th generation! I was disappointed when the iPod 6 wasn't released on 9.9.14 at the apple event! But they didnt release the iPads either. At the iPad event in one month which is October, they're not going to only release iPads! They always release a combination of devices! For example, the two iPhones and the apple watch. At the iPad event, there's gonna be iPads and an iPod touch 6g probably cuz they r not only going to release iPads! I have a iPod 4 currently and I've been waiting for the iPod 6 for a while now! I really hope they release it next month. I'll be glad if anyone replies to me and gives me their opinion.

dangerstranger

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
I'm in the same position. Had my fingers crossed for 9.9.14, now I'm wondering if the rumors about the iWatch replacing the Touch are true.

I guess I'll wait one more month before pulling the trigger.

Scorpion008

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2013
First of all, there is no way the iWatch replaced the iPod touch. They are completely different products. Secondly, the iPod touch is the gateway to the apple universe; apple would be stupid to close it. Thirdly, I think the iPod touch will be release in October. Worst case scenario, it is the same form factor but iPhone 5/5s internals. Best case scenario, it is touted as an iPad mini mini of sorts and gets all the latest in A8, M8, etc. along with the new iPads. In either case, I am not sure what apple will do
About the screen size. I doubt they will want to put money into redesigning it. That's my take.

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Next gen Ipod Touch

It should have the A7 processor to take advantage of the Metal API for better graphical performance for games being written by developers.

It would make sense to give the model a redesign (maybe 4.7 inches with new colours) and then keep this iPod touch model for two further years (who knows what Apple will be doing in 2016). I would guess TouchID is going to become standard over all iDevices which would be a great marketing and security point for Apple to be able to sell on.

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
I've a 4th gen iPT for 2 years and a feature phone with battery for 2-3 weeks depending pf usage. The reason? I don't want to be dependent of month payments and don't need full time internet. Even my sim card is not charged regularly with money. In most places i go, i've wifi hotspots.

So, for guys like me, Apple should at minimum update the iPod touch with a recent SoC and 1gb RAM.

Ditto, except I never let my phone service lapse. In the USA, you can get unlimited talk / SMS / MMS for $20 / month including taxes.

I am in the same boat, but if Apple doesn't act soon, I will go elsewhere. I recently bought the Amazon Kindle Fire 6" for $80 around XMAS. It's no iOS experience, but you can't beat the price.

I bought my touch when it had the same specs as the iphone (it was iPhone 4 I believe and no not identical specs, the battery for one was smaller, but same chipset and retina screen when it was a new feature). There is no reason to offer only crippled inferior hardware in the touch now.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2014
The reason the iPod Touch isn't selling well is because Apple had a terrible campaign for the 5 and because it hasn't had an update, people have lost interest. If there was an update, maybe an iPad Nano, it'd sell a lot :rolleyes:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
iPod Touch used to be the "entry level drug" of choice to hook young kids into the Apple ecosystem. That's the successful tactic Apple used to draw in young kids to get used to Apple products, and by the time they were high school teenagers they felt "entitled" to an iPhone etc. (That's how it is in the American middle/upper class. I can't say about other countries).

But nowadays…. even my 5-year old niece is always playing on her mom's iPhone6. :p

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Not quite an apples to apples comparison. You can always buy a cheap or midlevel And ph for $50 to a few hundred $$ to test those waters.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009

While I believe there will be a new Ipod Touch early this year, especially one that can utilize whatever plans Apple has in mind regarding the Beats streaming service, that particular news source is sketchy at best.

If you have been searching the news in the past year for stories related to a new Ipod Touch, you will consistently see rumor stories of an impending release by news sources that are not reliable, the Stabley Times is always in that list, they have been wrong since January of 2014, eventually there will be an Ipod Touch 6 but don't credit the news source, they print these bogus stories to gain clicks.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I have a thought, and I think this is the most likely scenario right now. Apple has just now caught up with iPhone 6 demand. So now Apple could produce a new iPod touch that is modeled on the iPhone 6. It is plausible that an iPod touch 6, the iPad mini 4, and the iPad pro could be announced during an event in April/May. The iPod touch 6 and iPad mini 4 would include the A8 chip, and the iPad pro would include the A9 chip. This would happen because the A9 chip started production in December, and the A8 and other past chips started production much later. This gives Apple the opportunity to bump out the last remaining A5 devices (the iPod touch 5 and the iPad mini 1) before the WWDC announcement of iOS 9.

Apple released the 4th gen touch three months after releasing the iPhone 4 and released the 5th gen touch one month after releasing the iPhone 5. Apple released the nth iPod touch when the nth iPhone was being sold. As of last fall, Apple has now adopted the numbering system for all iOS devices (e.g. iPad mini 3, iPhone 6). It makes sense for Apple to release the iPod touch 4 when the iPhone 4 is sold, the iPod touch 5 when the iPhone 5 is sold, and the iPod touch 6 when the iPhone 6 is sold.

If Apple would ever want to upgrade the iPod touch, between April and this fall would be the perfect time to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.