Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
(For people that want to interact with their beautiful device directly, not with a third party phone condom, and keep it looking new.)

I've had every model of iPhone since the original. I've never used a case and my phones still look pristine when it comes time to buy the next year's model. Cases don't guarantee flawless phones even if you never abuse them: grit can get inside the case and rub against the frame leaving nicks and scratches.

I don't want the only times I see and feel my phone directly be the day I buy it and the day I sell it, having it hidden every other day between.

It's simply a mindset. A mentality that this device you have is expensive, precious, gorgeous, and you want to keep it that way. You don't treat it like a TV remote. You don't treat it like your wallet or your keys.

Really, there's only three things I do:

• Whatever pocket it occupies, it occupies alone. Nothing else in that pocket. Nothing. Not even receipts. Ever.
  • I never set it on a hard surface. This includes tables, counters, nightstands, car hoods, etc. When I set it down, it's on something relatively soft: a book, paper, fabric, napkin, the smart cover of my iPad, even a coiled up cord.
  • I don't let go of it unless I'm setting it down (ie. I don't drop it). How many times in your life have you dropped your sandwich? A banana? Don't do it to your phone. Yes, this means when I'm holding my phone I'm very aware that I'm holding an expensive, fragile device. If I'm in a situation that could pose even a remote risk to my phone (busy crowd, etc), I consciously apply a firm grip or I pocket it.

That's it. The only time one of my phones was damaged, a case wouldn't have made a difference (it went into the laundry).

Not everyone wants to pay such attention to their phones, and that's fine; a case is probably the best approach. Not everyone cares if their phones get a little beat up. That's fine too.

But, if you wanna run without a case/screen-protector for your phone you can easily do it. You just have to treat it more like a piece of jewelry and less like an action figure.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
A) Go out at night, after most curfew hours.
B) Avoid street lamps and busy roads.
C) Wear shoes if needed

Worked for me in the past.

ThaRagingAsian

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2014
I never liked cases. Gots to show off the sexy. I do use ghost armor for the back. Front is more scratch resistant so no film there.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
A) Go out at night, after most curfew hours.
B) Avoid street lamps and busy roads.
C) Wear shoes if needed

Worked for me in the past.

I was seriously going to add 'Use sunscreen' as bullet point number four to the OP, but the post was getting long enough as it was. ;)

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I try and do this however I have an automatic reaction to put keys in the pocket my iphone is in. Sort of like a self harm thing

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
I also go naked, but I have to admit - all my phones have scratches.

Not terrible, just a few here or there over the years. I'm thinking to get a transparent super thin sticker just for the back of the iP6+. On the hunt for one atm.

Modern phones are too sexy to cover up in crappy cheap silicon. And anyway, they're just phones at the end of the day.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
I try and do this however I have an automatic reaction to put keys in the pocket my iphone is in. Sort of like a self harm thing

Maybe we should start a 12 step program for people with this problem. :cool:

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
I just don't understand how people say theirs are pristine after a year. I always use a case but am very careful with my phones and yet the case seems to be scratched and marked up to all hell after a year. I just find it hard to believe you can match the perfection that is when I take off my case and screen protector after a year. It always looks fresh out of box.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
I just don't understand how people say theirs are pristine after a year. I always use a case but am very careful with my phones and yet the case seems to be scratched and marked up to all hell after a year. I just find it hard to believe you can match the perfection that is when I take off my case and screen protector after a year. It always looks fresh out of box.

Took these photos of my 5S (which I purchased on the day of launch) 3 weeks ago:

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

tshandy

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
I've found that keys are the worst culprit in scratching the phone. As the OP said, keep it in an empty pocket.

I can only imagine how unwieldly the Plus would be with an OtterBox Defender case.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I hate cases too. But for every iPhone I've had, I've put an Incase Slider on it where it stays until I sell it. Why?

iPhone designs to me are terrible from the grippability standpoint. The 5/5s are the worst. Slippery smooth flat metal on a thin rectangular box. You have a little moisture on your hands, sweat or whatever, and I felt like it was going to take a drop. The Slider has just the right matte finish to give some grip, and it adds some thickness and surface area for holding.

I sure hope the 6 is a bit more grippable so I don't have to put a case on it. But the tech blogs that post their "hands on" stories never talk about this, or the speaker volume, or other things. They just go on and on about the screen, performance, etc.

christurbo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
Great thread.

I have also followed the same rules as the OP with great results.

To be honest I do not need to think about resale value due to not having to factor that into buying a new device. If it's dropped and the screen cracks apple replace it at a discount.

Luckily I have never damaged a phone.

I have recently used a thin case for the 5S which ironically has not protected it from a few scratches!

My iphone 6+ is going naked.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Sorry, but if you are claiming you had the 3G and 3GS without any scratches on them whatsoever, I am not inclined to take you seriously. The backs of those phones scratched if you looked at them wrong.

The later phones have stood up much better.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
Sorry, but if you are claiming you had the 3G and 3GS without any scratches on them whatsoever, I am not inclined to take you seriously. The backs of those phones scratched if you looked at them wrong.

The later phones have stood up much better.

iPhone 4 and onwards were definitely a huge improvement. I only have a couple of scratches on the back of one with years of naked use.

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
I almost always go naked with the phone. Only time is when I go camping when I add a case because I'm around a lot of mud. For that I use the Griffin Survivor. Never been let down yet.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Stay someplace warm, because the "It's not always that small, it's just really cold!" excuse doesn't work with the ladies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.