Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IlliniGuy76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Hi All,

I purchased my iPhone 6, 64GB on Verizon the night they went on preorder. I was charged $299 + $30 (upgrade fee) + $28 (tax) for a total of: $358.00.

The only reason why I'm now curious is after seeing a fellow MacRumor poster who posted his sale. Same exact phone purchased Apple with a total of: $325.00.

Does Apple not charge this "upgrade fee"? I didn't move my plan, just kept it the same.

Help?

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
Of course they don't charge it, it's not their money. Verizon will Bill you on your next invoice.

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2006
Hi All,

I purchased my iPhone 6, 64GB on Verizon the night they went on preorder. I was charged $299 + $30 (upgrade fee) + $28 (tax) for a total of: $358.00.

The only reason why I'm now curious is after seeing a fellow MacRumor poster who posted his sale. Same exact phone purchased Apple with a total of: $325.00.

Does Apple not charge this "upgrade fee"? I didn't move my plan, just kept it the same.

Help?

It's not something Apple would charge. Once you activate the phone you bought from Verizon, AT&T, whomever, they will charge the upgrade fee. When you buy directly from the carrier, they'll list the upgrade fee immediately. When you buy from Apple, it's not up to them to list it, because they're not collecting it.

IlliniGuy76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Of course they don't charge it, it's not their money. Verizon will Bill you on your next invoice.

Thanks! It's been awhile since I've upgraded my phone.

----------

It's not something Apple would charge. Once you activate the phone you bought from Verizon, AT&T, whomever, they will charge the upgrade fee. When you buy directly from the carrier, they'll list the upgrade fee immediately. When you buy from Apple, it's not up to them to list it, because they're not collecting it.

Thank you! Yup - I haven't upgraded my phone in awhile

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
And, on my 6+ upgrade for Verizon via Apple, that fee was listed (but not charged for there). It said it will be on my next VzW bill. So if they know it's an upgrade, it should be listed. But it could slip through the cracks since it is (as was said) the carrier's fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.