Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benenstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Illinois
I'll explain:

I have had an iPhone since the very beginning, in fact, the iPhone was my very first smart phone. Because of this, switching to a different phone has been out of the question.

I suppose my question is; have any of your friends/family tried switching to a different phone after having an iPhone, and regretted it? Or have you tried switching personally and regretted it?

I advised my friends/family that told me that they were switching that they will regret it (they told me that I would be wrong, and that it isn't cool being "that guy"), and ironically, I was right every time.

Edit: Yes, wrong situation to use the word "ironically". It's been a long day, give a guy a break!

Last edited:

projectfx

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
I'll explain:

I have had an iPhone since the very beginning, in fact, the iPhone was my very first smart phone. Because of this, switching to a different phone has been out of the question.

I suppose my question is; have any of your friends/family tried switching to a different phone after having an iPhone, and regretted it? Or have you tried switching personally and regretted it?

I advised my friends/family that told me that they were switching that they will regret it (the told me that I would be wrong, and that it isn't cooling being "that guy"), and ironically, I was right every time.

i had the 5S i switched to the HTC ONE for the bigger screen, knowing i will go back to the iphone at some point most likely...and now i am :)

Benenstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Illinois
I was always too scared to try switching,lol. I have invested so much money into the iTunes store, and most of my products that I own are Apple and are all in sync with one another thanks to iCloud, so I feel like if I purchased a different phone, my synchronization would start to fail.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I have switched several times. Tried an HTC one, GS2, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Lumia 920. Nexus 5 was the one that kept my interest the longest, but ultimately I have figured out that the iPhone is just best suited for me.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I was always a Nokia guy. I loved Nokia, always had a Nokia, thought they were the best. When the first iPhone came out, I thought it was way too expensive. Then they became more and more popular, but I was above it all, me and my Nokia. I got the flagship Nokia N97. It was gonna be the most awesome phone and I wasn't gonna follow all the iPhone lemmings. Well, after going through 3 N97s, I broke down and got an iPhone 3G. I immediately couldn't understand why I had been so against iPhones. I felt like an idiot. Haven't bought anything but an iPhone since. There's a reason every phone is compared to an iPhone. They are simply the best.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I have had numerous Android smartphones (and one Windows smartphone for a few days, terrible) on top of having owned every iPhone to date. The only phone I've ever regretted was the Galaxy S4, which I thought was cheap and ugly and the Touchwiz UI was atrocious. Fortunately I was able to flash a custom recovery and put an AOSP ROM on it, but even then it never performed adequately for me despite its allegedly superior specs. My Nexus phones, on the other hand, have generally all been fantastic except for little things like poor audio performance and pretty bad battery life.

Ultimately, I always go back to iOS for two reasons: reliability and integration. Basically all my computing is done on Apple devices, so the iPhone makes the most sense for my daily life. I have also found that in general they are the best working phones around. I love my 5S, and though I'll never say that I won't ever try another Android phone, I will say that I'll always come back to my iPhone.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I've had no desire to change phones because I still remember how every month a new iPod-killer would appear and next month later it's be crap; same applies to smartphones. With that said my friend tried switching to a Note 3 and ended up going back to his 4S because the samsung was buggy as hell.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
First smart phone was an Android (LG, I think) that I purchased primarily because it was the smallest one available and my Android-loving brother and husband kept talking about the flexibility and freedom of Android over iPhone.

The thing was god awful. Terrible screen resolution and sloooooooooow. I returned it, and bought an iPhone 4S instead. Couldn't be happier with it!

I'm probably going to be "that guy" again since I just placed an order for an iPhone 6 despite being very weary of large-scale phones. But, I'm also very weary of having a phone with a short life span, and knowing that the iPhone 5S would be retired a year earlier than the 6 was the biggest push to switch to the larger format.

So, yeah, I'll be "that guy" whining about how much I hate big phones, until I use it for a couple of weeks and say that I guess I can live with it. ;)

infamous11

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
I bought an iphone 5 the day it came out. Before that I owned every iphone (edge,3g,3gs,4,4s). I used it for 6 months or so and decided I was tired of it and purchased a galaxy s4 off contract, I sold the iphone 5 on ebay. Being my first android phone I was excited at having all of these highly customized features available to me that everyone I know that had android was telling me about. How open and awesome android is. Well let me tell you, the s4 was the biggest disappointment. Buggy as hell, apps crashing all the time, and the battery life. That was the worst part of it all. I would barely use my phone and when I got home it would be under 25% battery life. I brought it in and complained towards verizon that my s4 has issues. So they gave me a new battery, did that fix it? nope. I used that phone for another six months and was ready for the s4 to be out of my life. So I bought the moto x(2013 version, not the one that just came out) spec wise the moto x is nothing like the s4, but I was more concerned about battery life, and I wanted to give android another shot. So did that fix my issues with crashing apps and a crap battery life? Nope. Ofcourse not But after spending so much money on different phones I just gave up, but I told myself I would happily go back towards apple if they did two main things. First I like my moto x screen size(4.7 inch) and I wanted apple to make something bigger but not too big like the s4. The second thing I wanted was swype or something comparable on ios, Both of those request were made and now im just waiting until friday to get my iphone 6 64gb from fedex. :D

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I tried switching to a Droid Bionic after my iPhone 3g but I hated the Bionic so once my upgrade came i sold it and got a iPhone 5 and now sold that for the iPhone 6+.

Benenstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Illinois
First smart phone was an Android (LG, I think) that I purchased primarily because it was the smallest one available and my Android-loving brother and husband kept talking about the flexibility and freedom of Android over iPhone.

The thing was god awful. Terrible screen resolution and sloooooooooow. I returned it, and bought an iPhone 4S instead. Couldn't be happier with it!

I'm probably going to be "that guy" again since I just placed an order for an iPhone 6 despite being very weary of large-scale phones. But, I'm also very weary of having a phone with a short life span, and knowing that the iPhone 5S would be retired a year earlier than the 6 was the biggest push to switch to the larger format.

So, yeah, I'll be "that guy" whining about how much I hate big phones, until I use it for a couple of weeks and say that I guess I can live with it. ;)

I understand where you're coming from. I went to Best Buy today, and took a gander at the android phones. I found a phone with a 5.5" screen and was thinking "Good God, this is going to be one beast of a phone!"

I can't wait to see how videos are on the gorgeous, giant screen.

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
I won't switch simply because I'm invested in the ecosystem, don't want to repurchase my apps and like my appletv integration.

If it were a phone without the ecosystem I wouldn't care. All phones operate the same way now. Push icons to do things, done.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I tell iPhone users looking to switch to Android that they'd better think it through carefully because the change will be a royal pain. Some listen, some don't. The ones that don't either come crawling back to Apple or they make some lame excuse to justify their decision. Once you're in Apple's ecosystem, they make it so easy to stay. And now that iPhones have what many users wanted in Android-land - a big screen - I think fewer people will "defect" and even more who realized they like iOS better than Android after picking up an Android will be back.

bueller1

Suspended
Jun 13, 2012
Lol I'm that guy. And I say the same **** to everyone who tells me they're switching or who doesn't own one to begin with.

Benenstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Illinois
I tell iPhone users looking to switch to Android that they'd better think it through carefully because the change will be a royal pain. Some listen, some don't. The ones that don't either come crawling back to Apple or they make some lame excuse to justify their decision. Once you're in Apple's ecosystem, they make it so easy to stay. And now that iPhones have what many users wanted in Android-land - a big screen - I think fewer people will "defect" and even more who realized they like iOS better than Android after picking up an Android will be back.

Exactly. That's why my brother in law went from an iPhone to a Galaxy something or another; because the screen was 4.7". Once I get my iPhone, I'm going to go up to him and show him my 5.5" screen, haha.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
I understand where you're coming from. I went to Best Buy today, and took a gander at the android phones. I found a phone with a 5.5" screen and was thinking "Good God, this is going to be one beast of a phone!"

I can't wait to see how videos are on the gorgeous, giant screen.

I think what bugs me about the 6+ is that it's too small to work well as a tablet. If a phone is going to be so big that I have to take my purse with me (instead of just sticking it in a pocket), I would rather have something the size of an iPad Mini. My husband has a 7" Kindle Fire, and the thing is just way too small for any kind of productivity work--5.5" would be even less useful.

So, if I'm not going to use the thing for productivity, I'd rather have something that wins when it comes to portability.

If I was a gamer, I'd probably be all over the 6+.

bassett700

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
Dingus, VA
I have gone back and forth between the Iphone and Android over the past 5 years. I happen to love them both, much like I love blondes and brunettes. Each phone one does certain things great, with room for improvement. I end up gravitating to the Iphone for one main reason: battery life. Based on MY usage patterns, the Iphone simply lasts longer. I understand this might not be everyone's experience. Based on my positive experience with both I don't get the blind loyalty to one and the utter disdain for the other.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I advised my friends/family that told me that they were switching that they will regret it (they told me that I would be wrong, and that it isn't cool being "that guy")
Nope. I never give out unsolicited tech advice. If they ask me, I'll give them my opinion and suggestions. If not, I keep my mouth shut.

arminta7

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Portland, OR
I've had each iPhone that has come out. I've ventured over to Android 2 maybe 3 times as well, the latest being the Note 3. I always come back to the iPhone. They're just the best phones in my opinion. I also have all macs, iPads, iPods, apple tv, etc.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
No. I've been loyal to iPhones, but I never really made a big deal about it. If asked, I tell people why I stick with Apple (build quality, customer service) -- but I'm also first to admit that Android is a superior platform if you don't want to be limited in what you're allowed to do

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I'll explain:

I advised my friends/family that told me that they were switching that they will regret it (they told me that I would be wrong, and that it isn't cool being "that guy"), and ironically, I was right every time.

Edit: Yes, wrong situation to use the word "ironically". It's been a long day, give a guy a break!

What you meant to say was "apparently", and not "ironically" and It wasn't a matter of it being a wrong situation. It was a grammar issue. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.